Sunsynk 5.12 kw and 5.3kw batteries

Hi All,unfortunately or fortunately here by us we dont have a huge selection of products that the installers are comfortable installing,obviously Sunsynk is no 1 and then we have hubble,my question being I have seen some info that sunsynk batteries are eather all 0.5c batteries or some are now 1c batteries? If they are 0.5c that means you will need 2 for a 5kw like the Dynesse batteries,but im hoping you guys can guide me to getting the wright ones.I understand they 1c aswell but also dont think running the batteries flat out the whole time does them any good but ja,id like to start off with 1 x Inverter 1x battery and a couple of pannels we are not heavy on Electricity so that should be enough with some management and later adding a second battery hopefully.  Thank you

39 minutes ago, Fluzz said:

Hi All,unfortunately or fortunately here by us we dont have a huge selection of products that the installers are comfortable installing,obviously Sunsynk is no 1 and then we have hubble,my question being I have seen some info that sunsynk batteries are eather all 0.5c batteries or some are now 1c batteries? If they are 0.5c that means you will need 2 for a 5kw like the Dynesse batteries,but im hoping you guys can guide me to getting the wright ones.I understand they 1c aswell but also dont think running the batteries flat out the whole time does them any good but ja,id like to start off with 1 x Inverter 1x battery and a couple of pannels we are not heavy on Electricity so that should be enough with some management and later adding a second battery hopefully.  Thank you

You have other options. Revov will tell you over the phone that their batteries are 1C Freedom Won are 1C (the spec sheet says you can have short bursts above that). There must be more. Greenrich IIRC.

Though, and as you note, the installer has to have a comfort zone.

Edited by Bobster.

Thanks man, but thats the thing there comfort zone is sunsynk the weird thing is,no one so far on the forums have told me Sunsynks are good batteries, they just say different options.Id like to go for the Freedom ones but they above my price range for what I can get here

1 minute ago, Fluzz said:

Thanks man, but thats the thing there comfort zone is sunsynk the weird thing is,no one so far on the forums have told me Sunsynks are good batteries, they just say different options.Id like to go for the Freedom ones but they above my price range for what I can get here

If you have a sunsynk inverter AND sunsynk batteries then you get an extended warranty on the inverter. So there is some method in the madness.

Apparently it seems like that now costs you a small fee,havent found out about that yet!but lets be honest nobody realy knows how long any of these are gonna last as none of them have been around for very long.But I just wanto not buy a 0.5c battery for that price and have to buy another one because its not enough.

I am often confused about the fascination of 1c discharge talk when people are discussing batteries for their inverters.
Ideal discharge for most of the chemistries except maybe super capacitors should ideally never exceed 0.2C continuously.

If you have continuous loads of more than 50amps then you should ideally NOT really be running a single battery.
single battery 0.5C is 50 amps - you would drain the battery in 2 hours
2 batteries 0.5C is 100 amps 1C would be 200 amps - at 1C you would drain both batteries in an hour
also running at 1C often or continuously would reduce the lifespan of the battery drastically.

Maybe someone can enlighten me?! 🤪

My system runs pretty well and I have never needed such a high amp draw and I pretty much run "off-grid" most days.

Makes sense and I fully agree I think running a battery at full full tilt the whole time cant be good for them,but apparently the 5kw inverters dont run probably if its not a proper 100A battery ? They say you nee 2 batteries then?

3 minutes ago, WannabeSolarSparky said:

run "off-grid" most days

Off the grid here too.
And yes, I tend to agree, although I have a 1.0C battery when I do voltage control I limit it to 50Amp max charge. Hate the fact that in Li mode the BMS applies 100A and the user can't change it. So from my perspective voltage control is the preferred method.
I try to do all high power demands during the day, so I hardly ever pull anything higher than 2,5kW from the battery in any case, and if it does happen it's usually of short duration.

As far as the want for 1.0C rating though, I can understand that if someone has a 5kW inverter and the battery is limited to 50Amp discharge, then the 5kW inverter in essence becomes a 2,5kW unless you are grid tied. With the amount of loadshedding, being grid tied doesn't mean much anymore 😉

My base load of average 400 watts, and then have the microwave and kettle running brings the discharge up to 86 amps so about 43 amps per battery.

Most definitely if you are going to often exceed 50 amps draw then you should be aiming for a minimum of 2 batteries to ensure your investment has enough life to pay for itself over time :)

What I personally would rather focus on is the ability of the BMS to allow/deliver 1C discharge as that is mostly the limiting factor on these systems.

On the screenshot below I switched off the solar and eskom to see exactly what would be pulled from the battery with the base load, kettle and microwave.

image.thumb.png.6774611de407eb635eba0a8b4460f87b.png

Edited by WannabeSolarSparky

Just now, Fluzz said:

So what will you guys suggest then? Going with the Sunsynk with Sunsynk even tho its a bit expensive? Rather going for the hubble or Dyness?

If cash is not an issue then definitely I would go for the matched brand, these companies put a lot of effort and R&D into their products and you would like to think they would want their products to work well together.
I have also seen the factory tour of the sunsynk battery and they do quite a solid build.

I am on a bit of a budget and would have like to go cheaper,because I didnt wanto jump onto the sunsynk band wagon like everyone buttt maby everyone is right lol?just a bit worried that the inverters get so hot?So the question is 5.12v or the 5.3kw whats the difference except being slightly bigger 

Just now, Fluzz said:

So what will you guys suggest then? Going with the Sunsynk with Sunsynk even tho its a bit expensive? Rather going for the hubble or Dyness?

Kind of repeating myself here from previous posts.

For me the single 5kWh 1C battery was not about running at full power all the time, or about massive storage. Hubble or Sunsynk or similar

I wanted cover for 2-4hrs of loadshedding at a time with minimal disruption to lifestyle, and minimal cost. Long-running appliances like the pool pump, washing machine and dishwasher are scheduled to run during the day on solar, or else when there's Eskom power, not on battery.

But during loadshedding I didn't want to worry each time a small device like the kettle, toaster, iron or a hairdryer goes on, that the whole house would trip. The 1C battery gives you that freedom to live more "normally" if you can afford one and only one battery, with a cheaper system overall, but it's not as good value per kWh as 0.5C batteries.

If you can afford two batteries, there's no further benefit in taking a 1C battery, at least not in terms of power supply. Two Dyness's or Pylontechs will give the same power output quite possibly at lower cost.

7 minutes ago, Fluzz said:

I am on a bit of a budget and would have like to go cheaper,because I didnt wanto jump onto the sunsynk band wagon like everyone buttt maby everyone is right lol?just a bit worried that the inverters get so hot?So the question is 5.12v or the 5.3kw whats the difference except being slightly bigger 

Most of the battery brands sold in SA are pretty good.
At the very least aim for LiFePO4 chemistry, and ideally a 16 cell battery as they will last a bit longer.
Some of the popular brands often talked about here on this forum are NOT LiFePO4 so be careful :)
Again, this is just my opinion 😉

I have a 1C battery (1.5C in bursts) but it's all a technicality for me, because my inverter can't draw that much current from the battery!

So it shows how the COMBINATION of items has to be considered. I was going to say that my current battery was put in after the system had been running for a while, but the previous battery was also 1C. Or maybe it was, I don't know, The BMS had overload protection at less than the 1C current, and even that was more than my inverter could draw.

As it is, we have low loads at night, and I usually have at least half of the battery on hand when the sun is coming up. So I can brag about my battery, but we never really get close (and can't) to that sort of current.

• 4 months later...

My landlady kindly installed a Dyness 5.12 battery (0.5) and inverter Deye. Our continuous draw is probably only about 15amps but we need to accomodate a spike of up to 40 amps for machines starting up on occasion. The installer has set the inverter to cut out when we go over 10amps. It’s driving us crazy. Any advice? Why can we not draw the 50amps the battery can handle …when we need it. ? They are suggesting we add another battery.. for another 10amps. Why so little? There is no solar. Yet.