CBI SPD - Does it need replacing?

PsyCLown

Hey all,

So I noticed recently that my CBI SPD only has 1 of the lights lit - the other is no longer lit like when it first was installed.

I am no sparky, so not sure whether the light itself just died (does this even happen) and the SPD is fine or whether I should look at replacing the SPD with a new one?

Just a plain DB board fed from Eskom only.

IMG20230508191209.thumb.jpg.0cfd60191084cbd569a53abf0bdd6d07.jpg

4 minutes ago, Superfly said:

Weird that the N pole died and the L1 is alive and kicking - I suspect a globe died  but you want proper info from it. So yes replace it with a dual pole - (Never seen them separated like that)

Thanks, will look at replacing it.

Does the SPD not work as a fuse of sorts as well, in the sense that if it were to die then there would not be any power output?

That is what threw me off with only the one light working.

8 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

So I noticed recently that my CBI SPD only has 1 of the lights lit

Mine recently did the same:

image.thumb.png.a69ca3f165e588fe99f9ec6bab7f62d7.png

I also thought it very strange that the neutral pole would have experienced a surge and not the live, so I figured there's a very high chance it's just the indicator light that blew.

I replaced it just to be safe, but now that I see another case of this happening I'm again scratching my head wondering what's really going on here.

On 2023/05/09 at 11:13 PM, PierreJ said:

Mine recently did the same:

image.thumb.png.a69ca3f165e588fe99f9ec6bab7f62d7.png

I also thought it very strange that the neutral pole would have experienced a surge and not the live, so I figured there's a very high chance it's just the indicator light that blew.

I replaced it just to be safe, but now that I see another case of this happening I'm again scratching my head wondering what's really going on here.

Quite bizarre, I'd even imagine the light is the same on both poles so I doubt it would be poor components / design flaw / bad batch.