Hubble AM2 parallel with Lithium Batteries SA

Krokkedil

Hi there. I bought a house with a 8kw Sunsynk inverter and 2 Hubble AM2 batteries and 4kw of solar installed we will be moving somewhere end of May or June

I have a 5kw inverter and 2 Lithium Battery SA batteries and 3kw of solar panels that I bought and will be moving with me to the new house, it is currently not permanently installed on the rental property, I use it as a very big UPS with extension cords all over the house 

I want to connect the 4 Batteries in Parallel to increase my battery capacity. I will also add my 3kw panels to the install. 

I want to know does anybody know how many cells is in a Hubble AM2 battery?? I Know the Lithium Battery SA has 16 cells.

I know the BMS comms will not work correctly therefore I just want to connect all 4 of them to a bus bar. 

I have 2 Lithium battery SA batteries the one is the old type with the simple display and the second I bought in December and it has the smart BMS  and smart display that you can connect to the inverter. It is however not connected because my KODAK inverter cant communicate with it. The old battery also did not have comms and the 2 work 100% together. I do however see a difference in the SOC parameters on the 2 displays and there are definitely a difference in the current that is drawn and charged on the 2 batteries. Both of them will charge to 100% around 11-12 during normal sunny days even though If the app say the charging rate is 15A for instance the new battery will be charging at 6 amp and the old battery at 8 amps. When they discharge the new battery will be the one that gives out more amps during discharge and will show a lower SOC than the old battery. The voltages read exactly the same on both displays.

I know that if I try to sell these batteries to buy more AM2 batteries I will not be getting close to what I paid for it. Therefore I want to keep using them.

Please give me your thoughts.

The hubble am2 though it uses a different  cell tech

ie 13S with3.7v cells 

Have a voktage closer to a 15S lifep04

So if you really want to pair them you would need to modify the LBSA battery ie remove one cell and change the bms/settings if the bms can't be configured for 15s you would need new bms (i believe LBSA uses daly smart bms which can)Salt on this

Or sacrifice some capacity on LBSA. By never charging it full ie use hubble voltages

Problem is you would be under balance voltage permanently so no balancing would happen (could add an active balancer and just switch it on from time to time to get back in balance (but would have to disconnect the Hubbles set voltage higher balance , switch off balancer set voktage lower again reconnect hubble once every 4-6 months should do) the balance current on daly is crap(well actually most bms's daly is just worse) so trying to do 6mnths worth of balancing will be painful without active bslancer

Or use LBSA voltages on top and hubble at the bottom

Relying on the hubble bms to stop them from charging up top while LBSA is doing the last bit (problematic if bms ever fails huge  fire risk)

If it was mine i would change the config

ie remove one cell change bms settings to 15s and its voltages and then you can run them side by side with hubble(you just want the voltage range to match/be close and then use the hubble voltages )

The amps pull won't allways be equal from each battery 

At times the hubble will be more and at times the LBSA will be more

And the same charging

But that isn't a problem just characteristics of different batteries 

Edited by Leondavibe

And naturally realise that the battery soc indications may be off on inverter

As the comms would be with the hubble and the lbsa  no comms

Not a problem to run without comms

The problem comes in with the fact that in different ranges the one battery may supply more amps than the other

So lets say for example the lifep04 carries more load mid range

You would find the tank indicator would empty faster on top  slow in the middle and faster at the bottom

But since you will have lots of capacity  uncertainty on how full the tank is will most likely me not a problem

And naturally you would get a feel for how your tank gauge is running over time

Supported  by the data of LBSA via bluetooth i would think

Edited by Leondavibe

Good Morning. 

Thank you all for your insights.

The house we are buying also has a flatlet that is also running of the 8kw inverter.

I will remove the flat from the 8kw inverter and use the 5kw with the lithium batteries for the flat, swimming pool and and borehole pump. The flat will be used as an air B&B to bring in extra income. 

Other option is to use the 5kw to run the 2 geysers ?? 

The extra panels will still go to the sunsynk because this will help with the offset of the electricity that we use from EKSDOM

I was hoping for a quick and easy way but its seems not.

20 minutes ago, Krokkedil said:

I will remove the flat from the 8kw inverter and use the 5kw with the lithium batteries for the flat, swimming pool and and borehole pump. The flat will be used as an air B&B to bring in extra income. 

Other option is to use the 5kw to run the 2 geysers ?? 

Probably your best bet

I would change the elements to 2kw ones

Then i would add a contactor to priority A geyser ie so that the contactor is powered on when the geyser kicks in

Then break  geyser B live wire at contactor cknnect to the contactors normally open port

That way only one geyser can come on at a time

If priority A geyser kicks in it will switch off geyser b

And if A is off B is then free to kick in and out at will again

The 2kw will then leave some space for other devices

Or if only powering geysers both can come on at the same time with the 2kw ones

Edited by Leondavibe