charging anomaly

Gabriël

hi, when the batteries are charged via the pvs i get a smooth charge up to 100% soc. when the utility does the charge i note a sudden jump from about 97.2% to 100% soc. what could cause this and how can i solve it? any ideas?
God bless
g

614901787_chargeanomaly00.thumb.JPG.cd034eb29b884c4f11f8ce04760efafa.JPG1614377314_chargeanomaly01.JPG.f80b36d2e7c91e420c949caf7a0f4aa0.JPG

Leave it alone. You're BMV is resetting because the conditions are right, and that it only does that above 97% is not a problem I'd be concerned about. Chances are that while grid charging (presumably loads are also running from the grid) conditions are different enough to cause this reset. While charging from PV while also running loads, the battery current will fluctuate up and down, positive and negative. While charging from the grid the battery current does not fluctuate and is always positive, only dropping down as SoC rises. Is it really any surprise that the BMV resets a bit easier under those conditions? :-)

11 hours ago, gabriel said:

sound advice! i mean hardly anyone will even notice if i have a 2-3% dip in performance [low energy, a la trump] ;-)

thanks @plonkster

That dip is  not a real dip it is the information the BMV is reporting and its response to the reset perameters you have set. As I have said previously the BMV is like a blind bouncer counting people at the turnstile to a club. All that has happened is the BMV has under estimated the number of people in the club. Remember if we are equating energy to people then some people on entering the club on discovering that it is very congested inside immediately jump out the second story windows into the beer garden next door - no wonder the blind bouncer is not 100% accurate.

4 hours ago, Chris Hobson said:

Remember if we are equating energy to people then some people on entering the club on discovering that it is very congested inside immediately jump out the second story windows into the beer garden next door - no wonder the blind bouncer is not 100% accurate

This is a good analogy. In addition, when the bouncer sees (or maybe his guide dog barks?) the queue slowing down and moving really slowly, it will conclude after a while that "I must have counted wrong, the club is clearly filled to capacity", and reset to 100%.

Edit: Come to think of it, the bouncer doesn't have to be blind for the analogy to work.

It is good enough that he is standing at the door and cannot see past the doorway, so he doesn't know how full the place is, he simply counts people entering and leaving.

But because the bouncer was told that Club Peukert is somewhat of a leaky place, he admits about 5 people extra on every 100. If however the queue starts to back up and the flow slows down... well then I must have counted wrong. Drop the velvet rope.

Edited by plonkster

i alwa

On 2018/05/28 at 2:00 PM, plonkster said:

Club Peukert is somewhat of a leaky place

just goes to show that there is a place for people who believe that 1+1=3, or that the earth is flat or guard dogs can count... :)

Club Peukert is actually not such a rare place. What it says by analogy, is that if you evacuate the club/stadium really quickly... you're going to get less people out than you put in. Some dark humour for you there.

All this reminds me of some mathematics jokes. Yes, mathematicians have jokes that only they get.

A Mathematician, a Biologist and a Physicist are sitting in a street cafe watching people going in and coming out of the house on the other side of the street. First they see two people going into the house. Time passes. After a while they notice three persons coming out of the house. The Physicist: "The measurement wasn't accurate.". The Biologists conclusion: "They have reproduced". The Mathematician: "If now exactly 1 person enters the house then it will be empty again."

A bunch of functions are drinking in a bar when d/dx walks in the door. They practically trample each other as they try to flee, with the polynomials making the most haste. But one particular function remains in his seat. d/dx walks up to him, taps him on the shoulder and says: And who, pray tell, are you!? And he responds: I am e^x (e to the x).

An infinite number of mathematicians walks into a bar. The first one orders a beer. The second one orders half a beer. The third one orders a quarter of a beer. The Barman says: I see where this is going! And he pours two beers.

An engineer runs into his friend, who is riding a very pink bicycle. He asks: What's with the bicycle? His friend replies: You know, the weirdest thing happened to me the other day. I was sitting in the park when this girl comes riding past on this bicycle, and when she gets to me she jumps off the bike, tosses the bike to one side, rips off her clothes, and says: Take what you want! So I took the bicycle. His friend replies: Good choice, the clothes would probably not fit.

Re Pi, it is a greek letter pronounced Pi as in Pick. So people's preoccupation with food has always been a bit odd to me... or perhaps my training is getting in the way here.