How to get wires from old Flush mount DB to new Surface mount DB

Qtin

Question

Hi all, just looking for some recommendations please.

I have an additional surface mount DB which will house everything for an inverter installation (will be replaced with bigger one and surge arrestors, etc).

The thing is, I want to get the wires from the existing DB to the new one through the back (the way it should be), but as you can see there is existing conduit running upwards in the wall cavity (brick wall). I can only mount it above the old one, no space to the sides.

Does anyone have some recommendations on how to do this in the easiest manner and still provide double insulation for the wires? I cannot remove the old flush mount DB as it is really stuck and the conduit will slip out.

Was thinking to drill a hole sideways at the back of the old DB and then also a hole through the wall of the surface mount one, and then somehow try and get a piece of sprague to join the two.

How would the professionals do this with the least amount of effort, and mess?

Thanks in advance

image.thumb.jpeg.61698ba15d11c2f639ad59dfc97784d2.jpeg

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Qtin said:

Hi all, just looking for some recommendations please.

I have an additional surface mount DB which will house everything for an inverter installation (will be replaced with bigger one and surge arrestors, etc).

The thing is, I want to get the wires from the existing DB to the new one through the back (the way it should be), but as you can see there is existing conduit running upwards in the wall cavity (brick wall). I can only mount it above the old one, no space to the sides.

Does anyone have some recommendations on how to do this in the easiest manner and still provide double insulation for the wires? I cannot remove the old flush mount DB as it is really stuck and the conduit will slip out.

Was thinking to drill a hole sideways at the back of the old DB and then also a hole through the wall of the surface mount one, and then somehow try and get a piece of sprague to join the two.

How would the professionals do this with the least amount of effort, and mess?

Thanks in advance

image.thumb.jpeg.61698ba15d11c2f639ad59dfc97784d2.jpeg

Hi @Qtin welcome to the forum.

The way i would do it mount a 2 x 20way surface mount db directly over the flush mount db with a cutout at the back of the surface mount for all the wires through the cutout and move all components to one db. Top row for inverter curcuits and bottom row for utility curcuits.(clearly labeled).Below picture of Samite db but you can use own discretion on db you want to use.

SU2SamiteSurfaceDBBoard2X20W_441x441.jpg.5f9e99ff4c2d10d15574422e99fc2ae0.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hi @TaliaB

Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely consider that.

I already have a new 18-Way surface mount DB and was hoping to find a solution to use that without spending extra on additional hardware, but I think a 2 x 20 way DB might be the way to go to make things easier and neater.

Would I just make new holes at the back of the panel and extend the existing conduit with sprague or straight connector?
Just thinking about the future if i need to pull new cables in the conduit.

Edited by Qtin

1 hour ago, Qtin said:

Would I just make new holes at the back of the panel and extend the existing conduit with sprague or straight connector?
Just thinking about the future if i need to pull new cables in the conduit.

Yep for sure if you have enough conduit protruding use straight connectors.

Easiest by far is mounting a surface mount over the old flush one. I did this and am chuffed with the results.. (Though my surface mount turned out to be a flush mount....I ordered the incorrect one, but it still looks good)

1000219896.jpg

Posted (edited)

@GVC Thanks for the screenshot.

Does it have space for neutral bars under each row of circuit breakers? Or only space for it right at the bottom/top of the box?

Edited by Qtin

This is the diagram I used, with the exception that I took out the bottom SPD and installed it on my inverter Output breaker to the essentials.  

DB Board4.png

Edited by GVC

@GVC

Ok cool, i also have that exact same layout planned with the SPD on the Inverter out also.

What I meant about the neutrals, is the actual position of them in that 3 x 12 DB. Can you remember if you could add neutral bars in the middle of the box also? Or only space for it at the Bottom or Top? If that makes sense?

There is space for them on the sides, depends on how many breakers you add on the centre row. I omitted the Grid neutral bar as there was not enough space. If I recall correctly, I had to add 1 extra neutral bar.

I had to install my geyser CBI Astute timer on the bottom row as I had run out of space on top.