Best settings to maximize cost saving on eskom for a newbie.

ReaperGP

Hi All,

I have 2 x 5.2KW Lithium Batteries

6 x 450w panels 

5kw synsyk inverter.

I would like to know the best settings to run to maximize grid savings. i.e. utelize batteries in the evening and let the panels charge up in the day/ eskom (when its overcast etc)

Time 1: 01:00

SOC 1: 80

Time 2: 05:00

Soc 2: 80

Time 3: 09:00

Soc 3: 75

Time 4: 13:00

Soc 4:75

Time 5: 20:00

Soc 5: 100

Time 6: 23:00

Soc 6: 100

Kind Regards

29 minutes ago, ReaperGP said:

Hi All,

I have 2 x 5.2KW Lithium Batteries

6 x 450w panels 

5kw synsyk inverter.

I would like to know the best settings to run to maximize grid savings. i.e. utelize batteries in the evening and let the panels charge up in the day/ eskom (when its overcast etc)

Time 1: 01:00

SOC 1: 80

Time 2: 05:00

Soc 2: 80

Time 3: 09:00

Soc 3: 75

Time 4: 13:00

Soc 4:75

Time 5: 20:00

Soc 5: 100

Time 6: 23:00

Soc 6: 100

Kind Regards

Perhaps you might want the 01h-05h to discharge your battery instead of keeping it at 80%. Tick grid charge if you perhaps allow it to drop during the night. 

Without seeing the complete timer screen it is not easy to say what is the best to save grid. 

The short answer is to discharge your battery at night so that excess PV during the day can be stored (as pointed out by Scorp). To achieve this, set you early morning slot (which ends around the time your PV start picking up) to something like 20% (or whatever low value you think will treat your batteries with respect).

But also consider how much backup energy you need in case of loadshedding.  To estimate this, monitor your night/early morning usage, then decide whether you need 2 or 4 hour reserve.

Two things:

1) Try to shift as much electrical work as you can into the daytime hours. At my home, for EG, the pool pump runs only during the day, dishwasher only runs in the morning, water heating is early morning and then midday. Generally we try to use very little after 5pm. These are our own rules, sometimes enforced by timers (EG pool pump). We do this to reduce the load on the battery after hours, thus extending the protection it can give us. Remember that your system is weakest in the morning, and a combination of early morning outage and overcast weather will be its toughest test. I usually have about 55% of the battery available after the early morning water heating (heat pump, so faster and lower consumption than an element).

2) Following on from (1), decide for yourself a minimum level of battery you MUST have at all times whilst there is grid power. In my case this is set at 40%. I will always have 40% at least in the battery when the grid goes down. If SOC reaches 40% and the grid is up, the system will pull from the grid instead and leave that 40% there. So in the worst case scenario I describe above, I will always have a useable 30% in the battery to power the essential circuits until the sun comes out or the grid comes back on.

Saving money on your bills is important. Solar isn't cheap, and you need to see some return on your investment. But we need security too.