Discord Server

13 minutes ago, Gabriël said:

pardon my lack of whatever, but what is that? obviously i agree with your objective but my rudimentary IT skills need some help here

Not at all, thank you for your reply. 

If i may ill quote from some online resources, and supplement after : 

"Discord is a chat app, similar to programs such as Skype or TeamSpeak, or professional communications platforms like Slack. It supports video calls, voice chat, and text, allowing users to get in touch however they please."

"Thanks to this breadth of functionality, users have also embraced Discord as a semipublic, forum-style community platform: Groups of players with common interests, such as fans of a particular game or studio, can create or join “servers,” both public and private, where lots of people can meet and hang out, chatting via text, video, or voice."

For the good part of the last two years this has been growing exponentially in usage for interactive discussion of any context. I have seen many forums open up a server (which is free) providing their users with the ability to connect to each other in real time if needed, supplementing the original forum technology we all know and love. 

The typical layout looks something like this : 

spacer.png

Your userbase to the right. Administrators controlling the types of channels within the server (to the left) and all kinds of powers and more that a usual forum can offer. To be used as a supplement of course, not a replacement. Think of it as the 'chat online' option when looking for support somewhere, but more community orientated.

Edited by TheRidDlerX
Added image

2 minutes ago, plonkster said:

So if I am already on skype and slack... (and google talk, facebook messenger, twitter, two email accounts, my doorbell is broken though), why on earth yet another platform? 🙂

Heh, no reason, like you said, its just another one on top of the many. I guess its just popular in the circles that i move in than the rest (technical / IT), so perhaps that's part of the motivation behind the question :P

Just now, TheRidDlerX said:

no reason

Dude... I resisted WhatsApp for the LONGEST TIME. I could not understand why I needed yet another way to be contactable... but eventually I got a new phone and "my phone is too small for Whatsapp" no longer sufficed as an excuse... 🙂

I really like slack. The desktop sharing and voice/video calling is really excellent. Of course slack isn't really free. Or it is, but they really want to get you hooked and onto a paid plan.

1 minute ago, plonkster said:

Dude... I resisted WhatsApp for the LONGEST TIME. I could not understand why I needed yet another way to be contactable... but eventually I got a new phone and "my phone is too small for Whatsapp" no longer sufficed as an excuse... 🙂

I really like slack. The desktop sharing and voice/video calling is really excellent. Of course slack isn't really free. Or it is, but they really want to get you hooked and onto a paid plan.

Cant really speak for Slack myself, ive heard alot about it, and used it about once or twice but that was it. It sucks paying for something. Let it grow by its worth and keep it free. Look where whatsapp is today

Thanks so much for your interest in the forum. Long live IRC! hehe. Those were the days with Dailup and R7 a call that disconnected all the time.

I have tried a chat room on the forum. However I have found a live chat room challenging to navigate for users if you are looking for a topic , also making it very hard for users to navigate through the endless chats looking for a solution. This is my understanding of discord. I'm an old school type of guy. If it was IRC I would be sold! 😆

Please do keep the ideas coming , always helpful.

Sincerely

Jay

1 minute ago, Energy said:

Thanks so much for your interest in the forum. Long live IRC! hehe. Those were the days with Dailup and R7 a call that disconnected all the time.

I have tried a chat room on the forum. However I have found a live chat room challenging to navigate if you are looking for a topic , also making it very hard for users to navigate through the endless chats looking for a solution. This is my understanding of discord. I'm a old school type of guy. If it was IRC I would be sold! 😆

Please do keep the ideas coming , always helpful.

Sincerely

Jay

Not a problem. I, myself grew up with ICQ and Groupwise. What an interesting time indeed. Dial-up... what a nightmare living on a farm in the Free State. 2Mb worth of spam downloading on Outlook then made you feel like a hacker. Im sorry to hear that the live chat did not deliver to expectation. That being said (just speaking from experience) ive found that if a discord is set up with proper channels to topics of discussion it can become very handy. Not to mention the search function that spans across all of the mentioned. 

Regardless, albeit new, i see myself being quite active here, and (as with many other forums i inhabit) i cant help to try and contribute in any way i can. Only a fair trade for all the knowledge shared here. If the above mentioned is not an avenue of interest for most i can understand that :)