Phantom Power

Hi All.

Last night I connected a sonoff pow R2 to a multi plug and had some fun measuring the appliances usage around my house. Thought i would report back here.

At my PC desk i have a PC, 2 x monitors, a printer (i didnt measure the ADSL router) all these things were using 16w while being plugged in, but not in use/switched on. from 17:00 to 07:00 (14 hrs) they use 0.224 KWh which is R0.48c incl vat - thats a crazy R14.40 / month by just being plugged in.

at my TV (LED tv, apple tv, DSTV, DVD player) I measured 20w, while being plugged in and not in use. again at 12 hrs through the night (we dont really watch TV) that is 0.24KWh of usage by just being plugged in. that works out at another R9.60 / month - night time usage only or 0.48KWh over 24 hrs. = R31/month.

so these cost you about R50/month by just being plugged in (not to mention all the other phantom power items - cell phone chargers, multiplug LED's, alarm system etc.) so that about R600-R700 / yr. Crazy! i had no idea i was wasting so much.

Getting back to solar - Just by switching off these things at night, I should be able to save another 5% of my battery usage through the night.

I would love to know what else I can save on or what I've missed or miscalculated. Please let me know.

Many thanks

Jason

Edited by jasonvanwyk
spelling error

On 2019/04/18 at 9:20 AM, jasonvanwyk said:

Hi All.

Last night I connected a sonoff pow R2 to a multi plug and had some fun measuring the appliances usage around my house. Thought i would report back here.

At my PC desk i have a PC, 2 x monitors, a printer (i didnt measure the ADSL router) all these things were using 16w while being plugged in, but not in use/switched on. from 17:00 to 07:00 (14 hrs) they use 0.224 KWh which is R0.48c incl vat - thats a crazy R14.40 / month by just being plugged in.

at my TV (LED tv, apple tv, DSTV, DVD player) I measured 20w, while being plugged in and not in use. again at 12 hrs through the night (we dont really watch TV) that is 0.24KWh of usage by just being plugged in. that works out at another R9.60 / month - night time usage only or 0.48KWh over 24 hrs. = R31/month.

so these cost you about R50/month by just being plugged in (not to mention all the other phantom power items - cell phone chargers, multiplug LED's, alarm system etc.) so that about R600-R700 / yr. Crazy! i had no idea i was wasting so much.

Getting back to solar - Just by switching off these things at night, I should be able to save another 5% of my battery usage through the night.

I would love to know what else I can save on or what I've missed or miscalculated. Please let me know.

Many thanks

Jason

Great exercise. Perhaps you should build a few Sonoff managed plugs and program them all to switch off those phantom devices at specified times to save some energy. Pool pumps with manual timers shouldn't draw extra power since those old manual timers don't consume power. But the new digital ones could. Garage / gate motors could possibly also be switched off during the night, and switched back on so that the solar panels can charge those batteries as well.

3 minutes ago, DeepBass9 said:

How much power do the sonof gizmos use?

I would assume it's microwatts. The ESP8266 runs at 3.3V and needs very little ampere for itself. Just wire up your load to be off while the relay is off, i.e. on the NO side of the relay and it would consume very little power as well.

On 2019/04/21 at 4:48 PM, SilverNodashi said:

Garage / gate motors could possibly also be switched off during the night, and switched back on so that the solar panels can charge those batteries as well.

Thanks silver. I hadn't thought of this yet, but I certainly will do it. what I had noticed it that even with my whole load switched off at the DB board, My inverters still consume 100-200w - so no getting around that one just yet.

57 minutes ago, jasonvanwyk said:

Thanks silver. I hadn't thought of this yet, but I certainly will do it. what I had noticed it that even with my whole load switched off at the DB board, My inverters still consume 100-200w - so no getting around that one just yet.

I noticed about two weeks ago that my house uses about 80W more power during the evening and simply could not figure it out, bar switching everything off and turning them back on, one-by-one, as I have already done this in the past and know which absolute minimum devices we can leave on during the night. This morning I discover one of those plugs with the mozzi poison, plugged into behind a bed stand. Let's see tonight if this was indeed a rogue phantom device. 

On 2019/04/23 at 3:43 PM, SilverNodashi said:

I noticed about two weeks ago that my house uses about 80W more power during the evening and simply could not figure it out, bar switching everything off and turning them back on, one-by-one, as I have already done this in the past and know which absolute minimum devices we can leave on during the night. This morning I discover one of those plugs with the mozzi poison, plugged into behind a bed stand. Let's see tonight if this was indeed a rogue phantom device. 

Thanks silver, Let us know! these slippery little phantoms seem to pop up all over the place. for me - i'm going to have to keep educating my household about power usage.

8 minutes ago, jasonvanwyk said:

Thanks silver, Let us know! these slippery little phantoms seem to pop up all over the place. for me - i'm going to have to keep educating my household about power usage.

I can't say for sure, but it seems like it might have used 60W, though the plug has a 0.05A stamp on which is only 11W at 220V. I need to get a sonoff 2 to measure it accurately. Will report back once I have one to play with. 

9 minutes ago, jasonvanwyk said:

I'm going to have to keep educating my household about power usage.

We wish you all the best, you are in our prayers. 

Let us know which hospital you end up in. We will send flowers ... not batteries.

😜

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, flamegrilled said:

In the form of Xi Jinping in your ewelink software. Tasmoto is the next step in your mission.

For Home Assistant I flashed a few sonoff pow's to get the data into it. But I don't want to run the freezer on it with tasmota, and I want to check independently if we are away if it is running and what is the power usage of the last few days.

Found a component now that you can get the data from the sonoff's directly into HA without it being flashed or through webhooks. And the best of all it include the power usage as well.