DIN vs Samite vs Other (?)

Corné

Question

Good day everyone

I will be re-doing my distribution board in the near future and would like to make sure I get it right the second time around. I am considering a surface mount enclose from www.hahdaadengineering.co.za  with a 3 x 24 layout. I did however notice that you get either DIN and Samite type of rails. What is the difference and what type should I consider? Is there other types I shouls rather consider? My current circuit breakers are CBI Samite breakers so keeping with them should prove to be the most economical... Is there other factors that I should consider?

Thank you in advance.

Corné

image.thumb.png.38aa3be15af561b4f640c67b4e04da13.png

image.thumb.png.b75b0fa4b81049c7e5ae35ee13064013.png

5 answers to this question

I changed to din (from samite) when I redid my db.

How many mcbs are you going to keep?

My decision was based on the age, rating and suitability of the mcbs. And I found that some makes only come in din mountings.

One decision was to go to 6ka ratings as it has a higher short circuit resistance. I had mcbs go faulty after one short circuit when an appliance blew.

it also gives you the chance to get ensure your db is sans compliant for a new coc.

It also gives you a chance to standardize on a brand name. I do not have any Acdc stuff in my db and I donated all the old mcbs to the neighborhood watch for street light maintenance. I used Hager for the rebuild.

I am going for two years now since the rebuild and have not looked back once.

And yes, a big db like mine can put you back R10k. When you buy new rcds look the new ratings (up to type f) for their resistance to nuisance trippings. Many people battle with this after installing inverters.

Edited by Johandup

On 2019/10/26 at 12:56 PM, Corné said:

What is the difference and what type should I consider?

I also redone my DB and changed to din rail type, I found that with din breakers you have a bigger range of CB’s to choose from and their prices are much better than samite stuff. Also if you need to fit timers or relays they normally fit in the din DB’s better.

33 minutes ago, Gerrie said:

I also redone my DB and changed to din rail type, I found that with din breakers you have a bigger range of CB’s to choose from and their prices are much better than samite stuff. Also if you need to fit timers or relays they normally fit in the din DB’s better.

You can buy the different rails and mix / match them to suit. Just poprivet them.

Reviving a little bit of an old post here, I have some Samite and some Mini Samite flush-mount DB's which you don't get anymore today (in those specific sizes). I am also wanting to go the route of conversion to DIN RAIL, however have been scouring the net for conversion kits and can't seem to locate such.

Have you guys any idea of where I could possibly get such kits?

I know you get the "clips", which is only converting one Samite to DIN, but these clips take up 1.5 Samite spaces - how have you guys achieved the conversion?