Pylontech US3000 to Axpert King 5K - How To???

Jay-Dee

Hello all..

I have search through the forum but am not coming up with anything conclusive...  I have a Pylontech US3000 and an Axpert King 5K which I installed today... All is working but the comms between the battery and inverter.

I made my own standard network cable to connect the two units from the CAN port on the battery to the li-ion port on the inverter but keep getting a communication error

Unfortunately the distance between the battery and inverter is too great to use the supplied cable but it looks like it is standard ethernet cable

Can any please confirm what type of cable they used between a Pylontech battery and an Axpert King inverter. Also that I am using the correct ports on both sides as well as what the first dip switch is set to. Lastly did you need to change any settings on the inverter besides the battery setting to PLY?

Thanks in advance

Probably not a standard ethernet cable. You can inspect the supplied cable to see which wires go to which pins and then make your own.

Saw this post the other day but dunno if it's just for Victron... Better to use the above method...

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/4951-wantedvictron-vecan-to-can-bus-bms-cable-type-b/?do=findComment&comment=67779

9 minutes ago, tetrasection said:

Probably not a standard ethernet cable. You can inspect the supplied cable to see which wires go to which pins and then make your own.

Saw this post the other day but dunno if it's just for Victron... Better to use the above method...

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/4951-wantedvictron-vecan-to-can-bus-bms-cable-type-b/?do=findComment&comment=67779

Thank you, seen that too and going to give it a try tomorrow

I have checked the supplied cable and everything looks to be a standard ethernet cable. I am going to plug it into a tester tomorrow, to double check. The supplied cable does not specify which inverter it is for, hence why I am looking for someone that has connected one already

29 minutes ago, Jay-Dee said:

Thank you, seen that too and going to give it a try tomorrow

I have checked the supplied cable and everything looks to be a standard ethernet cable. I am going to plug it into a tester tomorrow, to double check. The supplied cable does not specify which inverter it is for, hence why I am looking for someone that has connected one already

I used the white cable supplied with the Pylontech battery pack marked with BAT sticker .Battery.thumb.jpg.9a6f051b84fb2f74eb85609c4de7c89f.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chris Louw said:

I used the white cable supplied with the Pylontech battery pack marked with BAT sticker .

Thank you Chris... mine is a black cable but I am sure it is the same thing as it has the same stickers on it... I will try tomorrow by moving the batteries closer, if that works... then I will try connecting it to the existing cable.

I am presuming you did not have the make any setting changes on the invert besides setting it to the PLY battery?

16 minutes ago, Jay-Dee said:

I see you also have the console cable plugged in... Is that to ICC Software? if so, is there any benefit in having it in and where did you get it from as I can find anyone with it available

Yes the console port is used for the special cable that ICC makes for the Pylontech batteries connected to the Raspberry pi . There is also a USB cable from the inverter to the ICC Raspberry pi . I had to do some settings because I have the older  5 kw Axpert .

@Jay-Dee, I'm a new inverter user and have been struggling with the same thing since having my kit installed yesterday.

Managed to get it working today with program 5 set to PYL on my Axpert King and the battery icon flashing on the LCD panel to indicate successful communication - no error codes. You are right in saying that the black cable supplied is a standard ethernet cable, I also got one of those. Don't bother moving your kit to test it.

Basically I made a cable per the attachment, using only 2 pins per side. Then it still didn't work until I lifted battery dip switch 1 to set the baud rate to 9600 - not mentioned in the attachment - found somewhere in these forums - grateful for that ;) Now I have comms between my Axpert King and my Pylontech US2000 batteries. Hope this helps for your 3000 batteries as well.

Pylontec Axpert VMIII-KING Configuration (used for cable, set battery dip switches to 1000).pdf

Edited by 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я

6 hours ago, 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я said:

@Jay-Dee, I'm a new inverter user and have been struggling with the same thing since having my kit installed yesterday.

Managed to get it working today with program 5 set to PYL on my Axpert King and the battery icon flashing on the LCD panel to indicate successful communication - no error codes. You are right in saying that the black cable supplied is a standard ethernet cable, I also got one of those. Don't bother moving your kit to test it.

Basically I made a cable per the attachment, using only 2 pins per side. Then it still didn't work until I lifted battery dip switch 1 to set the baud rate to 9600 - not mentioned in the attachment - found somewhere in these forums - grateful for that ;) Now I have comms between my Axpert King and my Pylontech US2000 batteries. Hope this helps for your 3000 batteries as well.

Pylontec Axpert VMIII-KING Configuration (used for cable, set battery dip switches to 1000).pdf 564.7 kB · 1 download

Amazing and thank you!!! thought I was going mad!!

I had found the dip switch part in the Axpert King manual (appendix B at the back) but obviously does not help with a standard cable.

Going to try this later this morning and will let you know

Thanks in advance

8 hours ago, Chris Louw said:

Yes the console port is used for the special cable that ICC makes for the Pylontech batteries connected to the Raspberry pi . There is also a USB cable from the inverter to the ICC Raspberry pi . I had to do some settings because I have the older  5 kw Axpert .

Thank you... Where did you get the cable and does it add any advantage besides accurate SOC readings?

This setup is for my parents and I ordered on but still waiting for stock. I personally have a 3K King with GEL batteries running ICC and a Victron Battery monitor which works like a charm but no one can tell me (yet) if the ICC cable adds any advantage to ICC over connecting the Pylontech to the Inverter correctly and then ICC reads the info from the Inverter (for the newer Axperts with the PLY battery setting)

Guess I will find out later today and report back :) 

The cable was supplied by Centurion Solar . I installed the Pylontech batteries , ICC and special cable on the same day . I would not know if there is extra benefits . We run offgrid and had to set setting 29 to 46.5 v not to get the battery low alarm when using oven and other high  amp equipment even if the battery is 80% full with no solar input .

10 minutes ago, Chris Louw said:

The cable was supplied by Centurion Solar . I installed the Pylontech batteries , ICC and special cable on the same day . I would not know if there is extra benefits . We run offgrid and had to set setting 29 to 46.5 v not to get the battery low alarm when using oven and other high  amp equipment even if the battery is 80% full with no solar input .

Thank you... Was about to ask re the voltage. Will change that a little later today and test

I just ran up during load shedding now, re-did the battery side of the cable to get it to match the pin out in the PDF above and guess what?? IT WORKED within seconds. The only problem is from the outset, I am getting low voltage warnings, so I was going to google the settings but hopefully you have saved me the time

From what I can see, the ICC cable is still of value as while the battery is talking to the inverter, it does not seem to push everything through to ICC and I am not getting the battery time left info that I do on my setup with the Victron battery monitor

@Chris Louw - would you mind posting a screen shot of your ICC Dashboard Two... so I know what to expect before ordering the cable (or harassing Manie of ICC)

@0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я - You are a legend for that pin-out. Thank you again

5 hours ago, Jay-Dee said:

Thank you... Was about to ask re the voltage. Will change that a little later today and test

I just ran up during load shedding now, re-did the battery side of the cable to get it to match the pin out in the PDF above and guess what?? IT WORKED within seconds. The only problem is from the outset, I am getting low voltage warnings, so I was going to google the settings but hopefully you have saved me the time

From what I can see, the ICC cable is still of value as while the battery is talking to the inverter, it does not seem to push everything through to ICC and I am not getting the battery time left info that I do on my setup with the Victron battery monitor

@Chris Louw - would you mind posting a screen shot of your ICC Dashboard Two... so I know what to expect before ordering the cable (or harassing Manie of ICC)

@0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я - You are a legend for that pin-out. Thank you again

Only a pleasure @Jay-Dee, glad it helped you out. With setting 5 = PYL, are you able to change setting 29? Mine seems to be fixed to 47 volts after setting battery type to Pylontech. I was hoping to lower setting 29 a bit to 46 volts, as I understand that would extend the battery run time, perhaps at cost of longevity. Not exactly sure what the effects would be though, are you perhaps familiar with this? As a workaround one could switch setting 5 back to USE and customise, but I feel more at ease with the PYL BMS settings.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm also having troubles to establish communication between my Axpert VMiii and my Pylontech US3000 battery (1 unit). 

The first dip switch is lifted up, the communication cable is plugged on the RS485 communication terminal on the battery side and on the li-on port on the inverter side and the wiring is correct according to this document https://portal.segensolar.co.za/reseller/docs/Voltronic%20Axpert%20VMIII-KING.pdf but when i put setting 5 to PYL, after 3 min, i'm having a 61 error code meaning the battery is not detected by the inverter. 

This thing drive me crazy. If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020/05/22 at 12:52 PM, Vince2050 said:

Hi guys,

I'm also having troubles to establish communication between my Axpert VMiii and my Pylontech US3000 battery (1 unit). 

The first dip switch is lifted up, the communication cable is plugged on the RS485 communication terminal on the battery side and on the li-on port on the inverter side and the wiring is correct according to this document https://portal.segensolar.co.za/reseller/docs/Voltronic%20Axpert%20VMIII-KING.pdf but when i put setting 5 to PYL, after 3 min, i'm having a 61 error code meaning the battery is not detected by the inverter. 

Good morning You have to use the cable that came with the inverter, the one in the (battery cable kit) will not work. RS485 on battery and BMS on inverter 

• 2 months later...
On 2020/05/22 at 12:52 PM, Vince2050 said:

Hi guys,

I just installed my new VM III. I think the important part is that the inverter supplied cable goes into the RS485 port and not the CAN port (it fits both).

• 5 months later...

I have Axpert king with 3pylon us3000c

I can't get the inverter to communicate with the batteries, as soon as I switch the battery type to Pylon, the inverter give a low battery error. 

I'm using a supplied cable between the battery and inverter 

What port should I use on the battery?