Bifacial Option?

daniemare

Hi All,

As I continue my solar research, I came across the bifacial panel option and I want to sound  board my thinking. 

Traditionally convention dictates a north facing install. Now, as I am installing a Goodwe ES with 2 MPPTs, I was thinking:

- Install 1 string of 4 panels (350-400W) north facing on the roof (traditional racking)

- Install 1 string of 4 panels facing West. This will help optimising production during my peak usage (Western Cape and late sunny evenings) 

BUT - seeing that this will be on a flat roof section, which will then require a tilting racking system I am wondering whether Bifacial panels will not be a great option here as I should then get very good production during the morning when it hit the back of the panel?

(for discussion assume no shading issues)

Secondary question

Can one do 2 west and 2 east on the same string and MPPT? (See snippet from article attached)

Secondary question

Assuming a VMP of 50V, what wire thickness do I need for a string of 4 and 15m cable length. Online calculators give me different answers of 4 and 6 mm2.

DF21DD1C-8D1F-49FD-AD7E-CBC9D826518A.jpeg

11 hours ago, daniemare said:

Can one do 2 west and 2 east on the same string and MPPT? (See snippet from article attached)

No. Not in the same string. But when you make 2 strings out of it and parallel them on 1 MPP tracker that's no problem.

Interesting topic, do you have an example of such a panel?

10 hours ago, RikH said:

But when you make 2 strings out of it and parallel them on 1 MPP tracker that's no problem.

That was my intention.

see attached for example

Also full article of idea https://www.ee.co.za/article/bifacial-solar-pv-modules-give-increased-power-output-potential.html#.XncAKyWxUlR

Canadian_Solar-Datasheet-BiKu_CS3K-MB-FG__IEC1500V__v5.57_EN.pdf