Hi All,

I am a new home owner and am looking into getting solar power, I was quoted on the Sirius Kilowatt Super Capacitor and once I started doing some reading, realised I knew nothing about anything remotely related to solar and hence why I should seek assistance before investing.

I found this on another thread and am using it as a framework, let me know if anything further is needed.

1.Type of system: 

- I would like a Grid Tied System to cater for my daily electrical needs all the time, not just during Load Shedding: I have a relatively large home and do get guests over at various times of the year (Durban lol) - I do not plan on catering a Solar system for usage spikes. 

2. Usage:

My Daily usage is around 32kwh  - I a moving to a Solar Geyser, so this should reduce drastically, high power items below:

- 4 plate electric stove - used mainly during daylight hours

- 1 x 18000 dual inverter aircon - used mainly during the night

- Pool Pump - only during daylight

- 1 x 48000 btu inverter aircon - on the way, not installed yet. 

- I do foresee my usage going up in the coming years - redoing certain parts of home and possibly family changes

3. Usage:

- Would like to use the batteries by night and just run of the solar panels (Not sure if it works like that) by day.

- I would like my daily usage accounted for, spikes can be run off traditional grid

- I do foresee my usage going up in the coming years - redoing certain parts of home and possibly family changes

4. Solar panels

- please advise based on above 

5. Brands recommended

- Please advise - my Budget is Circa R200k, I do see many types being spoken about, with pros and cons, I would like a good reliable brand, Im NOT looking for the cheapest system, but a good reliable one even if it costs a bit more

6. System Type

- I have read on the various types f systems, but am confused than ever, happy to hear pros ad cons in simple terms.

Thank you all,

Coco

Hi CoCoPops

After reading your post I can see you are very new to solar.

First of all your request is unusual as you list all your power devices to be used. Usually  most people using solar with inverters will try to avoid all high power items.

Let me start off by saying you will need to do a lot more homework before deciding what you are going to do. I would suggest a professional  guy to nnalise your needs and usage.

A solar system does not solely depend on daily use but more on power use at any one given time.

If you want to use the items you have listed I am afraid you budget of 200k will certainly not be enough.

The batteries mentioned in the post are about R115000.00 for a 7100whr (147ahr) battery. So two batteries alone are above your budget.

A 4 plate stove with an oven can use more than 5kw of power on it own. A aircon can use anything from 1,5kw-2,5kw .A solar geyser might need a element on overcast days 2 kw.

A pool pump .75kw-1kw. Kettle 2.5kw. Iron 2.5kw.

If you add some of these items power together you can see it can add up to way above 10kw at any one time without lights etc.

So without elaborating any further it can be seen to run a household solely on solar  with all those power devices is normally not feasible unless you have an unlimited budget.

I suggest you read lots of posts before going ahead.

The items you want to purchase come down to personal choice and budget after you have come up with a system that suits your needs.

I do not think anybody is going to tell you how and what to use as this is personal choice.

I hope this starts you in the right direction.

Hi Peter,

Thank you and much appreciated for the frank and honest response.

You raise some good points that I may not have thought about and need to relook my approach.

Can you advise who might be some of the most trusted/reputed solar professionals? Every website I go onto seems to say they are professionals. 

Will do more reading as well.

Hi CoCoPops

I am not a professional nor am I from Natal so I am unable to help with that advice. I will not only give you bad news.

I will advise you first to find out if you are allowed to use a grid tied inverter before you invest in one you cannot fully utilise. Do not rule out a grid tie as it has other advantages of switching seamlessly between pv, battery and mains.

I would then make a list of electrical devices and then list all those that might be on at the same time.

You might as a suggestion split the high power devices from the essentials . This will drop the power usage on the inverter if the DB is split into essential and non essential and saving power.

A normal installation for household would be 5kw - 10w  on the essentials being permanently on the inverter and this can be in your budget of 200k.

I hope this will help you.

On 2020/04/14 at 3:42 PM, CocoPops said:

- Would like to use the batteries by night and just run of the solar panels (Not sure if it works like that) by day.

- I would like my daily usage accounted for, spikes can be run off traditional grid

OK... what you're describing there is a hybrid system, not grid-tied.

Peter already gave you some good advice: Sort out the essentials, the things that MUST be backed up. Because the inverter will be current limited when in backup mode. EG mine only puts out 20A (or 4.6 kw). Also those big loads, even if they come within the limit that your system can back up, will flatten batteries very quickly.

So you have to decide what is vital and what you can do without during load shedding.

Do you use the stove a lot? For a lot less than 200 grand you could install a good quality gas stove and save a lot on electricity. Heat pumps or solar geysers will save on water heating, and so will turning the thermostat down. 

So there are cheaper ways of saving money - but that's not the same as being backed up.

Any solution you embrace is going to have an element of making hay whilst the sun shines. EG if you have a solar geyser, you want to limit showering and washing dishes to a certain time frame to maximise the benefit. 

Edited by Bobster

7 hours ago, CocoPops said:

Can you advise who might be some of the most trusted/reputed solar professionals? Every website I go onto seems to say they are professionals. 

Will do more reading as well.

A lot depends on where you are. Let us know by entering your location in your profile.

Don't be shy to get hold of other people who already have a system. Ask plenty of questions and you will quickly find out the shortcomings (and benefits) of their system. Mostly people who have a RE system will talk the hind leg off a donkey about their system. 

Be wary of installers who promise you the world. (Don't believe the fancy websites either!)