beginner

It depend on the inverter that is used. 

Some will give as much solar power as is available and the rest will come from the utilities. (Victron Multiplus  call this power boost for instance)

Other will switch off if your load is more than the max and do the full load from utilities (Axpert type inverters are like this)

So if you have an inverter that can give partial power, you can get away with installing a smaller inverter that what your max load will be and it will still be very efficient.
If you have an inverter that switch to the utilities if the load is more than it can handle, you need to get an inverter that can handle any max that could potentially happen, or just know that it will not always give you solar/battery power when you want it, but only when it can handle the load.

3 hours ago, Louisvdw said:

Other will switch off if your load is more than the max and do the full load from utilities (Axpert type inverters are like this)

Some Axperts (and if Bypass function is enabled) will switch over to Utility if overload occurs while in Battery mode (but the inverter itself will not shut down)

6 hours ago, wolfandy said:

Some Axperts (and if Bypass function is enabled) will switch over to Utility if overload occurs while in Battery mode (but the inverter itself will not shut down)

But from the sounds of it, they will still stop inverting and draw the full demand from utility source?

5 hours ago, jykenmynie said:

But from the sounds of it, they will still stop inverting and draw the full demand from utility source?

Yes.

12 hours ago, wolfandy said:

but the inverter itself will not shut down

Correct. It will not shut down. The inverter will just not invert power from the DC side. Instead it will pass through all required power to the load from the utilities side.

For instance: My hole house can run from my Multiplus II 3000VA. There is about 2-5 times a week that my load goes above the 2400W that the inverter can supply, but it just make up the rest from the grid. So I could go for the smaller inverter that covers me 98% of the time.
If I had an Axpert it would have been better for me to install a 5kW version to handle the full load.

6 hours ago, Louisvdw said:

For instance: My hole house can run from my Multiplus II 3000VA. There is about 2-5 times a week that my load goes above the 2400W that the inverter can supply, but it just make up the rest from the grid. So I could go for the smaller inverter that covers me 98% of the time.
If I had an Axpert it would have been better for me to install a 5kW version to handle the full load.

Exactly why I got a proper hybrid like the MP II. It just uses solar panels so much more effectively (for one, there’s numerous other reasons for me personally).

On 2020/07/24 at 8:23 AM, Richard Mackay said:

If it is a grid tie system it simply draws power from the grid.

I did some welding today whilst running the pool motor, washing machine and a few panel heaters.  I have a 5 kW hybrid inverter and it simply borrowed some electrickery from the grid to make up the difference.

image.png.6b5f2a519c71a2b58a10e86a8fe10dca.png