New and clueless

Hi there

I am quite new at this. Solar energy is definitely not my forte and I am trying. My brother is an electrician and he has installed two solar panels, a Synerji inverter as well as two 12 volt batteries. 

The system is currently off grid and my load was not that much but after installation, it seemed like the panels are not charging the batteries. The inverter just switches off at 22.2v and I get an error04  message which indicates that the battery voltage is too low. However, the inverter attempts to turn on and off from time to time but does not seem to charge the batteries. It has been more that two days now and the batteries are not charging.

Please help :(

I feel like I have thrown money in the pit.

Hi Louisvdw

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. I am still trying to figure out what panels I have but, I have attached pictures of the battery as well as the inverter for serial and model numbers. 
When my brother, also an enthusiast first installed this, all worked fine because the battery was still full but my children drained the battery and since then I have been getting the 04 error which indicates that the voltage is too low.

The weird thing is every evening around 17H00 the inviter just switches on and attempts to charge but nothing happens then it switches itself off again.

batteries.png

serial.png

synerji.png

8 minutes ago, Thapelo said:

batteries.png

The batteries are connected in series. You can see that the red + terminal of the one battery is connected to the black - of the other battery. This will give you double the voltage to get you 24V and your inverter is a 24V. So that is fine. (Just check - it seems that you do not have a safety fuse between the inverter and the battery. You can buy a 125A 32V fuse and holder at Outdoor Warehouse for R100-R200)

12 minutes ago, Thapelo said:

serial.png

The inverter can handle up to 70V for the panel input, so the 2 panels should be connected in parallel as most panels will give you in the 40V range and if you double that you will be more than the 70V the inverter can handle. If you have 30V panels, then the story is different, but I cannot say unless you give the details of the panels. There should be a sticker on the back side with the specs and model.

It could also be a settings issue. This looks like an Axpert type inverter and I don't know them that well.

18 hours ago, Thapelo said:

I have attached pictures of the battery as well as the inverter for serial and model numbers. 

The Synerjis are Axpert work-alikes. So many of the settings and issues are the same as the popular Axperts, but some details will differ.

my children drained the battery and since then I have been getting the 04 error which indicates that the voltage is too low.

Sadly, it's most likely that you battery (the two battery modules) have had it. Lead acid does not take kindly to excessive discharge. With the appropriate settings, it should have been possible to prevent the worst of this by switching off the inverter. On an Axpert, that would be setting 29 (low battery voltage cutoff).

The weird thing is every evening around 17H00 the inviter just switches on and attempts to charge but nothing happens then it switches itself off again.

I don't know the Synerjis well, but I'd say step one is to replace the battery. Likely it's so flat that starting the inverter causes the battery voltage to collapse, causing the inverter to switch off.

It might be possible to charge each 12 V module with a battery charger, preferably to close to the same state of charge (similar voltage on each battery module after resting for several hours). That might allow the inverter to switch on and take over (leave the inverter disconnected while you charge the battery modules separately). But I'd give a 90% chance that the battery modules are toast, sadly.

On 2020/08/13 at 5:56 PM, Louisvdw said:
On 2020/08/14 at 12:20 PM, Coulomb said:

The Synerjis are Axpert work-alikes. So many of the settings and issues are the same as the popular Axperts, but some details will differ.

Sadly, it's most likely that you battery (the two battery modules) have had it. Lead acid does not take kindly to excessive discharge. With the appropriate settings, it should have been possible to prevent the worst of this by switching off the inverter. On an Axpert, that would be setting 29 (low battery voltage cutoff).

I don't know the Synerjis well, but I'd say step one is to replace the battery. Likely it's so flat that starting the inverter causes the battery voltage to collapse, causing the inverter to switch off.

It might be possible to charge each 12 V module with a battery charger, preferably to close to the same state of charge (similar voltage on each battery module after resting for several hours). That might allow the inverter to switch on and take over (leave the inverter disconnected while you charge the battery modules separately). But I'd give a 90% chance that the battery modules are toast, sadly.

Thanks for your feedback, Coulomb... I'd be quite devastated if the battery is dead. I will try and have it charged as per your suggestion and cross my fingers that the battery is not done for...