Pool pump control.

Dave

I'm looking for advice on how to use a 10w solar panel to mimic my solar panel array to determine if there is potentially enough power to run my pool pump. My idea is to put the 10w panel adjacent to the pool pump, but at the same aspect as my panels on the roof. A resister / relay / sonoff could then trigger the pool pump if there is sufficient power. Please advise. 

Do you have Pi with ICC?

If yes you could buy ICC APM and activate.

Use a sonoff switch with a relay to turn on pool pump via APM software when excess pv is available,set timer,etc,etc

image.thumb.png.ac9c55557bab2cc89d8416f380684c9d.png

Edited by Quwatush Shams (Suly)

I have a microcare 10kw with a battery monitor and web logger. The web logger updates a website www.powermonitor.co.za. 

I want to know how much power is available, not how much is been generated. The 10w panel would be powering a load that would act as a trigger to turn on the pump. On a cloudy day the pump should not turn on. It would be like running the pump off its own solar panels. 

What you are looking for is an irradiance meter. They often use a small solar panel and are calibrated very accurately. For your purposes, if you just connect the leads of your 10W panel together through a low resistance shunt then you can measure the short-circuit current by measuring the voltage across the shunt. This should give you an idea of the available PV power. Of course you will need to 'calibrate' the reading by comparing the measurement to the actual PV production.

1 hour ago, Dave said:

I have a microcare 10kw with a battery monitor and web logger. The web logger updates a website www.powermonitor.co.za. 

I want to know how much power is available, not how much is been generated. The 10w panel would be powering a load that would act as a trigger to turn on the pump. On a cloudy day the pump should not turn on. It would be like running the pump off its own solar panels. 

I understand. Is the available power available on the web logger??

On 2020/10/12 at 8:18 AM, Stanley said:

What you are looking for is an irradiance meter. They often use a small solar panel and are calibrated very accurately. For your purposes, if you just connect the leads of your 10W panel together through a low resistance shunt then you can measure the short-circuit current by measuring the voltage across the shunt. This should give you an idea of the available PV power. Of course you will need to 'calibrate' the reading by comparing the measurement to the actual PV production.

The electrician has used potentiometer and a relay. It obviously still needs tweaking. 

• 8 months later...
On 2020/10/12 at 8:08 AM, Dave said:

I want to know how much power is available, not how much is been generated.

Interesting information that I would like to have as well. I would like to have this information incorporated into a Rasberry pi to see maximum available PV. Any advise on irradiance sensors that is worth looking at?