Axpert Code 03 error

Hi guys,

We have a series of Axpert 5000VA inverters. On a hot day, we have a situation where sometimes something switches on and then the inverters throw up a 03 (high battery voltage) error and the system switches off for about 30 seconds and then back on. Battery importer has been in and checked BMS parameters, et cetera. Problem persists. I suspect possible voltage bounce on the batteries but am not certain.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

18 hours ago, CDL said:

sometimes something switches on and then the inverters throw up a 03 (high battery voltage) error

I would expect that more when a large load switches off, and something (utility or solar) is charging the battery.

It's possible that the battery has high internal resistance. This could be the result of chronic undercharging of the battery, especially if it is a lead acid type.

All Axpert inverters suffer from the premature float bug, unless they are running patched firmware. Can you check through logs to find out if the battery voltage stays near the absorb voltage setting for something like an hour? If no logs, you could monitor the battery voltage manually, preferably on a cloudy day.

Thank you so very much Coulomb. These are LifePo4 batteries - but I see on the link you posted that this can occur with both battery types. This is a friend's installation. I see on my own Victron installation, they battery voltage will sometimes throw up a very brief spike on a hot day when something switches on. It looks like a kind of "voltage bounce". And sometimes will go as high as 59.87 V. I think the same batteries combined with the Axpert may also be "bouncing" and causing the inverters to throw up an error.

Edited by CDL
6 hours ago, CDL said:

This is a friend's installation. I see on my own Victron installation, they battery voltage will sometimes throw up a very brief spike on a hot day when something switches on. It looks like a kind of "voltage bounce".

it could also be the solar charge controller overshooting as a reaction to the increased load.

It's possible that your friend has absorb/bulk and/or float voltage settings too high. Perhaps the BMS is switching off the battery due to the excessive voltage, and that allows the solar charge controller to push the battery terminal voltage too high, because there is now no battery to absorb the excess energy from the solar charge controller.

If your friend has a 15S battery, check that the absorb/bulk voltage setting (setting 27) is no higher than 52.5 V.

Okay, so I had a look at some of the data again. It seems to happen when the batteries are full. A large load is switched on (let us say for example a draw of -70 A) and you see a sudden drop in the battery voltage at the same time. Say from 54.49 V down to 52.88 V. Then there's a sudden reversal in battery current. Goes from -70 A up to +14 A. Voltage then simultaneously bounces up to say 56.8 V (sometimes as high as 58 V) and then there's a sudden drop almost immediately after that down to 55.5. So it seems to be something along the lines of the charge controller overshooting. This is on my Victron system with the same battery array as my friend is using with his Axpert. So I guess something similar may be happening in that context as well.

Edited by CDL