Sunsynk grid charging issues

Iaan de Wet

Some help please, i have a sunsynk inverter. When the sun sets the batteries are supposed to power the none essential loads

In my case the the grid then supply the load and keep the batteries at 100%.  In the photos attached I switched off the DC and to my understanding then the Batteries should then discharge into the load. If I manualy then switch off the grid then all in order.

Screenshot_20201215-192536_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201215-192651_Gallery.jpg

9 minutes ago, Iaan de Wet said:

Screenshot_20201216-100912_Gallery.jpg

Why do you have the CT coil on inverter. 

I ran the cable to the DB board and its clamped on feed before the mains switch. 

Can you take another pic of the connection on the inverter, slightly to the left of that pic where the wires of the CT coil is connected to? 

6 minutes ago, Achmat said:

Why do you have the CT coil on inverter. 

I ran the cable to the DB board and its clamped on feed before the mains switch. 

Can you take another pic of the connection on the inverter, slightly to the left of that pic where the wires of the CT coil is connected to? 

I had it on the DB just moved it to.see it makes n difference

Screenshot_20201216-102827_Gallery.jpg

3 minutes ago, Iaan de Wet said:

The CT must be on the house's grid input (other side of the non-essential loads).

With zero export enabled, the inverter will adjust its feed to the grid side to make the CT reading zero.  So with the CT on the line feeding the non-essential loads, these loads will get zero current from the inverter.

4 minutes ago, Iaan de Wet said:

Screenshot_20201216-102827_Gallery.jpg

That seems right. 

Make sure it's in properly and making good contact. Should be in 5 and 6.

This is my display. Not pulling from the grid as its supplying the loads and charging the battery. 

Screenshot_20201216-103213_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201216-103205_Gallery.jpg

15 minutes ago, JustinSchoeman said:

The CT must be on the house's grid input (other side of the non-essential loads).

With zero export enabled, the inverter will adjust its feed to the grid side to make the CT reading zero.  So with the CT on the line feeding the non-essential loads, these loads will get zero current from the inverter.

CT moved back to DB with arrow facing towards the Non essential loads, os this correct ?

Screenshot_20201216-105037_Gallery.jpg

13 hours ago, Vassen said:

Is you CT coil connected corrected. From your pic it’s shows zero. 

Is the battery being detected properly. Can you post a pic of the LIBMS screen. 

In which scenario is the pictures taken. Grid disconnected? 

what firmware are you on?

1 minute ago, Achmat said:

I think the CT coil is either faulty or not making contact at the connection. 

Other option is to try and use 3 and 4.

Make sense to me that it could be faulty..... had it in 3 and 4 previously with same effect

5 minutes ago, Iaan de Wet said:

Will it make sense then that if the CT is faulty that it would then be able to feed back into the grid ?

Yes. If you set it to zero to load then it should not feed back to the grid even if the CT is faulty. Only problem would be that you will not be able to power anything between the grid meter and the inverter from solar or batteries. 

Edit. CT coil is only there to pick up what is being pulled from the grid and then for the inverter to try and zero the meter by sending excess back to the CT coil. You don't need the CT coil of everything is connected directly to the inverter and there are no loads before the inverter. 

Edited by Achmat

16 minutes ago, Achmat said:

Yes. If you set it to zero to load then it should not feed back to the grid even if the CT is faulty. Only problem would be that you will not be able to power anything between the grid meter and the inverter from solar or batteries. 

Edit. CT coil is only there to pick up what is being pulled from the grid and then for the inverter to try and zero the meter by sending excess back to the CT coil. You don't need the CT coil of everything is connected directly to the inverter and there are no loads before the inverter. 

Only loads is the geyser which is on a timer. Pool pump that is.manually opererated . Aircons but that is normally not run 

33 minutes ago, Iaan de Wet said:

Only loads is the geyser which is on a timer. Pool pump that is.manually opererated . Aircons but that is normally not run 

I would then remove the CT coil and change the settings on the inverter to zero to load until the CT coil is replaced. 

6 minutes ago, Vassen said:

Do you by any chance have a multimeter. If yes, disconnect the ct and test the resistance between the 2 wires of the ct. This basically checks the secondary coil to see if there’s continuity. secondly, connect it around a live wire and tear the voltage across the wires. This checks if the primary coil is inducing a current into the secondary. If there is a resistance and a voltage then it should give you some reading on the inverter. 

Thanks, it is having conituity between the two wires and is measuring 7.47volt

3 hours ago, Vassen said:

Okay. Then u sure it’s making proper contact with the terminals on the inverter or connected to the right pins. I have the 5kw so it’s different 

May I ask if you can post a photo of yoir physical connections on the power terminals of your Grid, Gen and Load ?