Infini Plus 10KW - Island Detect warning

LionKing

From past couple of days, our Infini Plus 10KW inverter has been occasionally disconnecting from the grid and showing "07 - Island Detect" message. Interestingly, this happens only in the evening - around 5pm - 9pm, couple days it happened 8-10 times during the evening. Today it happened only twice. Is this a possible inverter issue or utility side? 

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes our ceiling LED lights have a dim glow at night (this has been happening for over a year now) but its completely random E.g. there will be days of no dim glow and then a week or two of dim glowing lights. Any clue?

3 hours ago, LionKing said:

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes our ceiling LED lights have a dim glow at night (this has been happening for over a year now) but its completely random E.g. there will be days of no dim glow and then a week or two of dim glowing lights. Any clue?

Just a wild guess here from what i have read it sounds like a floating neutral. Have you tested the voltage between earth and neutral?

53 minutes ago, branderplank said:

Just a wild guess here from what i have read it sounds like a floating neutral. Have you tested the voltage between earth and neutral?

Just did some measurements:

L-N (Switch On): 240v
L-N (Switch Off): 3v
N-G: 1.3v

L-N reading is same as what the inverter is reporting, surprised by the other two readings though.

21 minutes ago, LionKing said:

Its still happening, everyday, starts around 5pm and happens till around 8pm. We're not running any new appliance etc, so definitely nothing inside the house causing it. Any guess as to what's causing this?

I am not familiar with the Infini Plus 10KW inverter, but most inverters disconnect from the grid when the grid voltage drops below a threshold value (e.g. 190Vac). This feature causes your inverter to operate in "Islanding mode" until the grid voltage returns to a normal voltage range. The low grid voltage is most likely caused by many people turning on ovens , geysers etc in the early evening - since this loads the local transformer in the street.

The LED bulbs that glow slightly - is an unrelated issue. This is normally caused when you have a dimmer module controlling the LEDs - since it needs to pass a small amount of current to remain operational (they generally do not have a separate neutral connection). You would not normally notice this with regular incandescent bulbs, but this low-level current can be enough to light up some LED bulbs.  A solution to this is to fit a capacitor shunt/load, in parallel to the LED bulbs, which allows this low-level current to effectively bypass the LEDs. You should be able to buy these at a good lighting store.

Edited by NigelL

i've been watching reading on snmp web page, all the readings look normal (as I'm watching) when the inverter starts beeping, even grid is available. Typically, when it disconnects because of grid frequency/voltage it shows warning codes 1-4. With no obvious disruption in grid, its weird to see this error, unless, for some reason grid disconnects for a fraction of a second and inverter is picking it up and going into Anti-Islanding mode. 

Edited by LionKing

You should check your earth connection to neutral before it comes into you db and the Isolater/Earth Leakage/GFI. Neutral should be bonded to your own earth spike, specifically to provide an electrical earth for your premises. You should, thus, not get any voltage between earth and neutral, if you do, that would indicate a poor connection somewhere along the chain on your premises. That N-G of 1.3V should really be less than 100mV, I'd say, if any voltage at all. I don't think  you should panic, but you should investigate and fix this.

• 1 month later...

i've the same problem, i get the island detect warning every day a few time. 

the error occurs to full or half hours. today at 10:30, 11:00, 12:00, 12:30, 13:00, 13:30, 16:00, 16:30, 17:00

the installation is made from a professional, the system was measured (earth resistance, insulation etc)

i have s smal 3kw SMA Tripower inverter next to the MPP MPI Solar Hybrid 10k and the sma works without a problem.

island detect.png