My Sunsynk 8Kw & data collection setup

1 hour ago, jacauc said:

Looks good!

General note: I'm busy simplifying a lot of my HA Node Red flows for easier management so simplification and untangling the connectors is fresh in my mind.

You may find it much neater to use "link in" and "link out" nodes, even if it is on the same flow. Small sections where steps are repeated can be reused with msg parameters passed to them.

But function over form I guess 😀

Ok, so if I am understanding you correctly, by putting the names of the devices into the message parameters, I could cut out the 4 individual loops I have, one for each individual device, and replace it with one loop. Makes sense, thanks for pointing that out, that can be my next project 🙂   

54 minutes ago, jacauc said:

Also, I recommend using the "events: state" node instead of "current state" This allows you to avoid this kind of looptyloop

image.png.5ecc96fdf1d1a5411813756ab41bbf42.png

Instead it can be achieved with simply:

image.thumb.png.25071c54754eb588c07084095700a2a7.png

Will change that as well, thank you for the suggestions, am still working out how this thing works so all appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

Ok, so if I am understanding you correctly, by putting the names of the devices into the message parameters, I could cut out the 4 individual loops I have, one for each individual device, and replace it with one loop. Makes sense, thanks for pointing that out, that can be my next project 🙂   

Yes that's the perfect scenario. But I also tend to use link in and link out even without fancy msg parameters to reduce the number of visible lines such as the long diagonal ones going all the way back to the beginning to check solar power >3000. First prize for replacing the 4 loops with one by using msg. 

One more piece of advice... I see you have the very first node on the top left to fire at 9:00am. I'm not sure what that is for, but if it is simply to kick off the start of the flow, this can be achieved with the built-in inject node like so... then you don't need this additional pallette

image.thumb.png.92264b26864681df5d59c2e2464dbdc2.png

• 2 months later...
On 2021/04/05 at 9:33 AM, Sc00bs said:

Paradox house alarm

Hey @Sc00bs, did you use PAI to integrate your Paradox alarm? This is way off topic, but if you did, do you have PGMs for e.g. gates/garages and have you managed to activate them in HA?

I can control the alarm zones by publishing a packet to the correct topic in MQTT but cant seem to toggle/turn on/off the PGMs. Topic in theory is paradox/control/outputs/pgm_3 (or the PGM number)

4 hours ago, jacauc said:

envisalink for smartening the system with integration to HA

Thanks, will have a look. I have the IP150 module for paradox and can see all sensors and zones in HA, its just weird the PGMs don't respond when everything else does

11 hours ago, Robbo said:

Thanks, will have a look. I have the IP150 module for paradox and can see all sensors and zones in HA, its just weird the PGMs don't respond when everything else does

Would suggest having a look on the Github page for PAI or their Gitter page and see if they have any suggestions there 

https://gitter.im/paradox-alarm-interface

28 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

Github page for PAI or their Gitter page

Thanks, yeah I've scoured the HA, Github, Gitter pages and havent won so thought I'd try a SA source here :) . I have the EVO192 and that seems to have further complications. Going to try the babyware access next and then see where that leads me...

• 2 weeks later...

Home Assistant recently included a Solar Forecast in the app https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/forecast_sola

Although not obviously 100% accurate it does give me an insight into what the days solar power production is going to look like to that Node Red can decide which loads to switch on for the day based on the predictions. 

I have a 1kw pool pump, so if my production for the day is going to be under 30kw, I just don't switch it on for the day. 

Switch it on from 9 - 3 If I have more than 40kw and just 3hrs of pump if it is between 30 & 40kw/hr.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/forecast_solar/

Would also like to add the data from my inverter into the Home Assistant Energy system but still working that out

Edited by Sc00bs

On 2021/09/05 at 8:39 AM, Sc00bs said:

Would also like to add the data from my inverter into the Home Assistant Energy system but still working that out

Hi Sc00bs, I would love to do that as well!

Currently I have an SMA Energy meter, but I cannot differentiate between batteries and PV yet, but this gives you an idea of what it looks like (the dotted line indicates the forecast for today, very cloudy...)

image.png.6b46bb3b767383feeff6015cd1e88cd6.png

Going through the Modbus spec, I believe you should add the 32-bit "total" registers (they have a high& a low 16-bit word) to your Node-RED flows. Home Assistant should handle all the other magic.

Here is my first attempt mapping this - nothing tested yet!! - https://github.com/kellerza/sunsynk/blob/main/sunsynk/definitions.py

The end goal is a native Home Assistant component, but otherwise I'll just do an Add-on for a quick win 😉 You are probably one step closer by just adding this to your existing Node-Red flows

I have noticed that the Home Assistant backups of all my Sunsynk Data are starting to get rather large, at the moment 2Gb and increasing by +-100mb per day which is obviously not sustainable.

In an effort to try and keep the size down I have decided that I am going to need to implement some downsampling and data retention policies in InfluxDB as that is where most of the backup size comes from.

Am thinking that the easiest way is probably going to be to create a new database for all the downsampled data to be loaded into and then just change the retention settings on the existing database to 24hrs 

Going to downsample to 1 min intervals and see what the DB size looks like. 

Any comments/suggestions? 

I’m no Influxdb expert, but it sounds logical to downsample.

Generally I would say record less to begin with or keep it for a shorter period of time. On my SMA energy meter I only record significant changes (>80 / 100W and every minute), that works for power. For energy you need even less (5min?) since these are counters. Voltage min/max/avg over 5min?

if you want to have a solution that keeps high resolution data for longer, buy more storage or try solar-assistant.io - they have a solution optimised for long term high resolution stats with polished graphs. Really easy to setup!

@Sc00bs - seems like I finally have my Home Assistant energy dashboard working with my Sunsynk 🙂

image.png.5d2845888c9e80676419aa7dea8c5b87.png

Using only the following sensor config & the addon - https://github.com/kellerza/sunsynk

SENSORS:
  - total_pv_power
  - total_grid_export
  - total_grid_import
  - total_pv_power
  - total_battery_charge
  - total_battery_discharge

• 4 weeks later...

Updated cabling for the USB-RS485 adapter, only requires these three cables when connected up to a RJ45 wired in 568B 

This apparently (needs confirmation someone) also has the advantage that it will work if plugged into the CANBUS port, handy if you have a battery that connects to the RS485 port.

Easy RJ45 Wiring (with RJ45 pinout diagram, steps and video) -  TheTechMentor.com

PXL_20210914_140459470.thumb.jpg.60d6405e149825f5486d509402b3bada.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2021/10/13 at 12:04 PM, Sc00bs said:

Updated cabling for the USB-RS485 adapter, only requires these three cables when connected up to a RJ45 wired in 568B 

This apparently (needs confirmation someone) also has the advantage that it will work if plugged into the CANBUS port, handy if you have a battery that connects to the RS485 port.

Easy RJ45 Wiring (with RJ45 pinout diagram, steps and video) -  TheTechMentor.com

PXL_20210914_140459470.thumb.jpg.60d6405e149825f5486d509402b3bada.jpg

Hey @Sc00bs, I'm trying to do this but the Inverter wont initialize in NodeRed (just keeps retrying). In your pic above, do you have all of the jumpers on the adapter?

54 minutes ago, crash said:

Hey @Sc00bs, I'm trying to do this but the Inverter wont initialize in NodeRed (just keeps retrying). In your pic above, do you have all of the jumpers on the adapter?

Ah, read in the other post it needed this. It's now queueing and sending (so onto the next part I think)

• Serial Port set to /dev/ttyUSB0 on modbus-client