Kodak 7.2 offgrid inverter exporting to grid

Peter Woest

Anyone having this problem of the 7.2kw inverter exporting?

Installed 6 this year and all doing same thing. Today tested a 2x 7.2 parallel system. 1.5kw export to grid when in SUB mode. Seems to be working fine in SBU mode. Tested also with a 100w lamp connected to AC input, Lamp lights up intermittently when grid is off. 

Flushed the firmware as per Segen with different firmware version. Same problem.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanx 

22 hours ago, Peter Woest said:

Tested also with a 100w lamp connected to AC input, Lamp lights up intermittently when grid is off. 

This is a serious flaw as the inverter will send power back if Eskom switches off the supply to work on the line, potentially shocking a technician working on the line. 

Edit. 

No matter the settings, if the grid is down it should never send anything back. 

Edited by Achmat

21 hours ago, 87 Dream said:

Hi Peter 

How much PV is connected to the said systems?? There is much information already on this about the Regulator in the machine struggling to slow down in the event of a cloud going by etc. The export seems to be happen when you have loaded the PV almost to the limit & then the regulator struggles to hold down all that energy & then dumps it into the grid. I have installed two Max in parallel & have solved the problem with the firmware up dates but I have left space in the PV panel MPPT modules as I did not want to load the system due to longevity for the customer. 

Hi

This system  2x 7.2 in parallel has 2040w pv per inverter, This export happens when batteries are fully charged and zero load applied?

What firmware version did you sort this with. Currently running 90.19

Thanx

18 hours ago, Achmat said:

This is a serious flaw as the inverter will send power back if Eskom switches off the supply to work on the line, potentially shocking a technician working on the line. 

Edit. 

No matter the settings, if the grid is down it should never send anything back. 

100% correct. Being offgrid inverter, no matter the settings it should never export to grid.

11 hours ago, geprieto said:

There are MANY posts around here regarding this issue. It's dangerous stuff. What would be the proper way to correct this without trusting the firmware? Anything that can be installed between the meter & inverter?

Yes! I want to know this too. 

12 hours ago, geprieto said:

There are MANY posts around here regarding this issue. It's dangerous stuff. What would be the proper way to correct this without trusting the firmware? Anything that can be installed between the meter & inverter?

Im not sure if that is even possible? 

The issue here is that they are playing with firmware updates that are not approved by the vendor, so I'm a bit hesitant on trying them. So far on the 45 fw I'm not seeing this issue, but I have to say I'm VERY worried if this gets sorted out in a firmware update. It means Voltronics is using electronics from a grid tie inverter for this unit. Any leaks should be protected via hardware, not software...

As soon as I have a hardware solution I'll post it here. 

• 1 year later...

Hi. I've got 2 x 7.2 kw kodak inverters working in parallel with each other. After struggling for days to connect the watchtower app now I am struggling to link the 2 inverters to each other to give one collective data output. Also I am struggling to use pv then battery then utility. some assistance would be appreciated.