Extreme E Champs

Not sure who has come across this on Supersport? 

Second round on today and is a very interesting format with some big racing names involved. 

A electric racing SUV with a difference, amazing how they throw them around and how they perform. 

The have a 40kw usable battery developed by Williams Advanced Systems.

Just thought this would be of interest for some forum members! 

I'm more interested in the claimed zero environmental impact than the actual racing. I admit the circuits are challenging, but two laps doesn't make for much of a race.

OK... for a start there's no crowd, thus no food stalls required, thus very little rubber to clean up. The cars are transported by boat, and the boat has a hydrogen station that charges lots of batteries on the way - so that's a big chunk of their carbon footprint taken care of.

Where I see the value in such series is that they make the technology reliable and more efficient. There is no doubt that F1, which now has fantastically efficient engines, has played a role in making KERS systems smaller and more efficient, and has introduced the HERS that recovers surplus energy from the turbocharger and feeds it into a battery. The latter is still very expensive and very complex, but it didn't exist 10 years ago. F1 is also trialling fuel that has a percentage of non-fossil fuel content.

Not just F1, though they are always the highest profile. Series in the USA run on methanol and are working on the banning of single use plastics from events, having all food sold in recyclable packaging and cleaning up the venue as they leave. 

Because of motor sport's reputation (arguably unfair) as a gigantic producer of CO2 they are working hard to reduce their footprint - though F1 doesn't do a very good job of publicising that so FE and Extreme E get the headlines there.

FE has progressed quite a bit from it's first iteration. The cars now race for 45 minutes and there is no longer changing cars at the half way mark. The battery is still standard, but manufacturers can and do fit their own engines, transmissions and control electronics, which means the lessons they learn and the improvements they make stand a chance of filtering down to road cars.

5 minutes ago, Bobster said:

There is no doubt that F1, which now has fantastically efficient engines, has played a role in making KERS systems smaller and more efficient, and has introduced the HERS that recovers surplus energy from the turbocharger and feeds it into a battery. The latter is still very expensive and very complex, but it didn't exist 10 years ago. F1 is also trialling fuel that has a percentage of non-fossil fuel content.

Hmmmm.... or maybe not. BMW came up with pretty good cars with ERS without involvement in any series that used them. They're in Formal E now (with the Andretti team) but they already had electric and hybrid cars on the road before they entered that series.

Williams... they went a completely different road from the other teams, but couldn't make it work in the very tight physical confines of F1. They used flywheels rather than a battery or super capacitor for an energy store. It's won in other series with bigger bodywork and is now being used in public transport applications. They sold the design to (IIRC) GKN, but get a royalty on every unit sold. It's a good solution, but, again, one that's not much talked about. A lot of road cars could use "flybrid" instead of batteries.

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched a race and a few highlights on You Tube. I enjoyed it & there are some well known names participating in various ways. However there’s too much of an embedded ideology in the sport & I’ve had my full of politics in sport. I watch F1 & a little bit of WRC for escapism not for a cause or activism. I’ve totally divested from a number of other sports because of political interference and BS activism. I’m very much in favor of renewable and being green where it’s practical. I can’t support Extreme E because it essentially has equality of outcome (forcing 1 male & 1 female driver). I support equality of opportunity but that’s vastly different from the former. Plus Lewis is a massive chop & I can only bare one racing format with his pro BLM rubbish.