Expandable backup solution

I have some any questions and am seemingly confusing myself with the different components and options. Would really appreciate some guidance on the best way to approach eventually getting off grid.

Theoretically, can I buy a 8kW Hybrid Inverter with a 3,5kW Pylontech battery, connect the two and connect that two the house through a plug point. Or would I need any other components?

Disclaimer: I realise this is not legal or safe. It is really a question about the workings of the system and the various components. I eventually want to get to solar panels, but so many things need to happen beforehand (like painting the roof and rewiring the old section of the house). 

2 minutes ago, EugeneS said:

I have some any questions and am seemingly confusing myself with the different components and options. Would really appreciate some guidance on the best way to approach eventually getting off grid.

Theoretically, can I buy a 8kW Hybrid Inverter with a 3,5kW Pylontech battery, connect the two and connect that two the house through a plug point. Or would I need any other components?

Disclaimer: I realise this is not legal or safe. It is really a question about the workings of the system and the various components. I eventually want to get to solar panels, but so many things need to happen beforehand (like painting the roof and rewiring the old section of the house). 

Theoretically, yes but just so much better and legal to just split your DB and connect the loads to the output of the inverter. 

36 minutes ago, Achmat said:

Theoretically, yes but just so much better and legal to just split your DB and connect the loads to the output of the inverter. 

Thank you. The reason why I phrased the questions in that manner, is that a salesman was telling me about a battery charger being required. 

As mentioned, I would like to get the DB split and proper installation done, but would also require wiring being updated and some lights changed. 

But would be great to have a short term solution in the meantime to run lights, a computer or two and a tv or two. I was thinking that instead of continuing to use the generator for this, I could get the inverter and battery now and then look at installation and a second battery in November. 

And if all goes well, get the roof painted and some solar panels installed in 2022.

With the above in mind, would it be more cost effective to get a smaller 3kW?) non-hybrid inverter with the 3,5kW battery with the goal of adding a 5kW Hybrid inverter and more batteries at a later stage? Would I then be able to use the two inverters together for a total of 8kW capacity?

OR am I just unnecessarily complicating things?

41 minutes ago, EugeneS said:

Thank you. The reason why I phrased the questions in that manner, is that a salesman was telling me about a battery charger being required. 

As mentioned, I would like to get the DB split and proper installation done, but would also require wiring being updated and some lights changed. 

But would be great to have a short term solution in the meantime to run lights, a computer or two and a tv or two. I was thinking that instead of continuing to use the generator for this, I could get the inverter and battery now and then look at installation and a second battery in November. 

And if all goes well, get the roof painted and some solar panels installed in 2022.

With the above in mind, would it be more cost effective to get a smaller 3kW?) non-hybrid inverter with the 3,5kW battery with the goal of adding a 5kW Hybrid inverter and more batteries at a later stage? Would I then be able to use the two inverters together for a total of 8kW capacity?

OR am I just unnecessarily complicating things?

So the sunsynk is a complete hybrid inverter with no need for additional equipment in order to charge batteries. 

Depending on the small inverter you get, you could connect it to the aux on the sunsynk as ac coupled effectively increasing the inverter capacity. The small inverter should be a grid tied or micro inverter. I think the axpert inverters could work here. The 5kw sunsynk would then be the grid for the smaller inverter and would control when to utilise the smaller inverter. 

The sunsynk is highly configurable, assuming you are referring to the sunsynk range of inverters. 

If its just a small number of appliances and a few lights, I would put a small DB after the inverter and a wall plug. You can then run extention cords from this plug. You can also take a feed from your main DB connected to the grid input on the inverter so that you can charge the batteries from the grid. 

I would just go with the bigger inverter and change the inverter settings accordingly. 

Grid -> disconnect switch -> inverter -> small isolated DB -> wall plug 

It would then be a manual process to power your appliances using an extention cord for when the grid goes down. No suicide plugs in this setup. 

29 minutes ago, Achmat said:

So the sunsynk is a complete hybrid inverter with no need for additional equipment in order to charge batteries. 

Depending on the small inverter you get, you could connect it to the aux on the sunsynk as ac coupled effectively increasing the inverter capacity. The small inverter should be a grid tied or micro inverter. I think the axpert inverters could work here. The 5kw sunsynk would then be the grid for the smaller inverter and would control when to utilise the smaller inverter. 

The sunsynk is highly configurable, assuming you are referring to the sunsynk range of inverters. 

If its just a small number of appliances and a few lights, I would put a small DB after the inverter and a wall plug. You can then run extention cords from this plug. You can also take a feed from your main DB connected to the grid input on the inverter so that you can charge the batteries from the grid. 

I would just go with the bigger inverter and change the inverter settings accordingly. 

Grid -> disconnect switch -> inverter -> small isolated DB -> wall plug 

It would then be a manual process to power your appliances using an extention cord for when the grid goes down. No suicide plugs in this setup. 

Thank you for the great advice. (suicide plugs are such an apt name).

I noticed you are using the Pylontech batteries too. I have read that some people now seem to favour the Hubble batteries. Your thoughts?

18 minutes ago, EugeneS said:

Thank you for the great advice. (suicide plugs are such an apt name).

I noticed you are using the Pylontech batteries too. I have read that some people now seem to favour the Hubble batteries. Your thoughts?

Only real advantage that the hubble had over the pylontech is the C rating. 

Hubble are 1C and pylontech are 0.5C. 

Basically a 1C battery can discharge fully in an hour meaning that you can use more appliances. 

A 3.5kWh hubble battery can supply 3.5kw of electricity. A 3.5kWh pylontech battery can only provide 1.75kw. You need double pylontech batteries to the supply the same load that the hobble can. 

At some point it becomes irrelevant as the inverter can only use so much. For me, the C rating has become irrelevant but if you only have one pylontech you need to be aware of the limitation. I still think the pylontech is a better option. I haven't used the hubble. 

1 hour ago, EugeneS said:

Do people on here provide recommendations for installers or is that frowned upon? I'm thinking that I should likely get an installer to assist me. 

If you are going to use a suicide plug, why would you need an installer?

Not that I am recommending it in any way...

Edited by YellowTapemeasure

1 hour ago, EugeneS said:

Do people on here provide recommendations for installers or is that frowned upon? I'm thinking that I should likely get an installer to assist me. 

Hi Eugene. 

One thing to remember is that Pylontech will not honour a warranty when you pair 1 x 3.5kwh Pylontech with an 8kw or 5kw inverter. Reason is due to the massive return on failed batteries which forced them to change their warranty requirements.