Axpert MKS-II 5KW cannot see grid anymore

dxmarty

Hi. Help or direction will be greatly appreciated.

I have the above-mentioned inverter and it has been running flawlessly for about 26 months. After load-shedding (or possibly before - not sure) I realised that the grid voltage/frequency on the inverter (I can see it through ICC solar) was 0/0. Also on the display panel on the inverter there is no grid icon. It is if the grid is not there, although I measured the voltage and there is grid supply.

Maybe something failed inside the inverter? Fuse or something? Any ideas or should I disconnect and take to Mecer for repairs?

57 minutes ago, dxmarty said:

Maybe something failed inside the inverter? Fuse or something?

Possibly a very obvious question but have you checked the resettable fuse that is on the bottom of most axpert models? This is wired after the terminals so if it has tripped you won't easily notice.

I'm no electrician. There is a "Input Breaker" switch (button-like) at the bottom of my inverter - which does not feel like a switch as the button is loose. Not sure if this is what you refer to as a 'resettable fuse'? Or is the fuse under the 'hood'. I mean I will have to take the cover off?

14 hours ago, dxmarty said:

There is a "Input Breaker" switch (button-like) at the bottom of my inverter - which does not feel like a switch as the button is loose. Not sure if this is what you refer to as a 'resettable fuse'?

Yes, that's it. I've never seen or heard of one popping, so it's probably not the cause, but I think if it "breaks" due to over-current, the button will pop out further than normal, and you just push it back in to reset it.

As far as I know, your model doesn't have any user replaceable fuses inside, so there is no need to open the case, unless you know what you are doing and have a multimeter.

This morning I decided to just re-check the voltage on the AC Input side of the inverter. Low and behold, as I put the probes on the terminals I heard a clicking noise and suddenly the inverter showed the AC Input icon on the screen again. Maybe it was just a little bit of corrosion...

Anyways, thanks. I'll keep an eye on it - at least now knowing where the problem possibly exists.

5 hours ago, Coulomb said:

the button will pop out further than normal, and you just push it back in to reset it

In my experience with these on other devices the button doesn't pop out further but it does offer resistance when you push it if the device is tripped. No resistance means no trip.

Likewise I have never seen one of these trip and we had a case where the utility dropped a live 33KV line onto the LV distribution. The fault blew up the surge protector and the internal MOVs but the resettable fuse didn't trip before the MCB did.