panel configuration with solis 6kw hybrid inverter

andrevanschalkwyk

I am currently waiting for the balance of my components to arrive, Solis 6kw hybrid inverter coupled with 10x 535w JA Solar panels:

The solis key specs are as follows:

Max PV input 8000W, 2 MPPT with 2 strings each, max input voltage 600V.

I can only place 10 panels on the north facing roof area (17 degrees NE) therefore the choice of 10 panels x 535W to get max.

I have 2 questions, 1 pertaining to my imminent installation and second possible future increase in panels.

1) I can link the panels all in series, or from what I understand it would be better to link in 2 strings split beween both the MPPTs, as the MPPT would operate more efficiently? Is this assumption correct.

2) For future, if needed, I may consider installing 4 panels on the west roof facade to catch the afternoon sun as I would still get a good 4-6 hours of sun on this facade. In this case I would direct the north facing panels through 1 MPPT and the other 4 panels through the 2nd MPPT. The voltages would be not be equal on the 2 MPPTs though, would this be a problem or must the voltages be equal.

2) A third possibility would be to install 5 panels on the north and 5 on the west now, and later increase to  north and  west.

Could someone shed a technical opinion which is my best option for now, particularly since the 4 additional panels may never happen.

Thank you i advance

I would go all ten in series on one mppt on the north facing roof, There is an optimal voltage range for the mppt and usually the higher voltage is more beneficial, also less wiring

Then use the second mppt for the west facing roof

12 hours ago, andrevanschalkwyk said:

I am currently waiting for the balance of my components to arrive, Solis 6kw hybrid inverter coupled with 10x 535w JA Solar panels:

The solis key specs are as follows:

Max PV input 8000W, 2 MPPT with 2 strings each, max input voltage 600V.

I can only place 10 panels on the north facing roof area (17 degrees NE) therefore the choice of 10 panels x 535W to get max.

I have 2 questions, 1 pertaining to my imminent installation and second possible future increase in panels.

1) I can link the panels all in series, or from what I understand it would be better to link in 2 strings split beween both the MPPTs, as the MPPT would operate more efficiently? Is this assumption correct.

2) For future, if needed, I may consider installing 4 panels on the west roof facade to catch the afternoon sun as I would still get a good 4-6 hours of sun on this facade. In this case I would direct the north facing panels through 1 MPPT and the other 4 panels through the 2nd MPPT. The voltages would be not be equal on the 2 MPPTs though, would this be a problem or must the voltages be equal.

2) A third possibility would be to install 5 panels on the north and 5 on the west now, and later increase to  north and  west.

Could someone shed a technical opinion which is my best option for now, particularly since the 4 additional panels may never happen.

Thank you i advance

Hi,

Did you get the 3Phase Solis? Or single phase? If single phase, where did you source it and can you perhaps share the price you paid please?

44 minutes ago, JoeyhZA said:

Hi,

Did you get the 3Phase Solis? Or single phase? If single phase, where did you source it and can you perhaps share the price you paid please?

Hi, it is the Solis Energy Storage 6kW Hybrid 5G Inverter with DC switch, bought from Powerforum Store at R20,638.20, I also bought the wifi stick.  Please note that this inverter cannot be used in parallel, but I specifically chose this model for the following features; max PV input 8kw, 2xMPPTs 2 strings each, max voltage input 600V, and it is fanless. The inverter will be in a small room under the staircase next to a bedroom, therefore we want it be quiet. If you want to one use a second inverter or more and it is placed in location where fan noise does not matter, I would highly recommend the Synsynk, it appears to have excellent support. 

I have 2x Hubble 5.5kWh batteries for backup and though the night. Our daily usage is 12-15kWh max., in winter, but that is for 2 people. When we have visitors in summer it rises to 17-21 max. 

The most important is to decide do you want to achieve with you system, I do recommend that you speak to Steve at the Powerforum Store, he is extremely helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/08/24 at 7:48 AM, andrevanschalkwyk said:

Thanks Tariq will follow your advice

Hi Tariq,

Just for info I am changing my setup and getting 4 more 535W panels placing 8 on the North face on MPPT 1 and 6 on the West on MPPT 2. Assimilating all the info on the forum I believe this configuration will serve me best, particularly since we quite often have mist in the morning that only burns off by midday.

Regards,

André

yes, that will work also, it all depends on what time of the day you have  heavy loads and cater for it that way.

looking at your inverter specs it is 4000 watts per mppt, so yes 8 north facing and 6 west facing will work nicely. Also, when installing the west facing panels, extend the mounting rails for another two panels, so this way, if you want to put up  two more panels in the future, the hard work is already done.