Solar Installation advise

Hey Good People,

I am new to the solar topic and need some advice please. I am seriously thinking of going solar route for my household usage which I think is quite average (happy to be corrected). See the picture below for my last month electricity usage, the maximum consumption was about 2,400 two or three months ago.

Can someone recommend the solar system size I may need to consider to meet the electricity demand and how much it may cost me including the installation charges? After reading few articles on this website, I realized that there are very cheaper and way expensive brands too, so it may be difficult to suggest the installation cost. I am looking for decent brands such as sunsynk etc.

Your inputs and guidance is highly appreciated.

image.png.b8bbb325877b5562e718746a48e8d60d.png

Hi PB15, welcome to the group, there are literally dozens of threads on this forum regarding how to start in solar, suggest the first thing that you should do, is go through them and absorb all the knowledge from the experts on this group and THEN ask your specific questions.

49 minutes ago, PB15 said:

Hey Good People,

I am new to the solar topic and need some advice please. I am seriously thinking of going solar route for my household usage which I think is quite average (happy to be corrected). See the picture below for my last month electricity usage, the maximum consumption was about 2,400 two or three months ago.

Can someone recommend the solar system size I may need to consider to meet the electricity demand and how much it may cost me including the installation charges? After reading few articles on this website, I realized that there are very cheaper and way expensive brands too, so it may be difficult to suggest the installation cost. I am looking for decent brands such as sunsynk etc.

Your inputs and guidance is highly appreciated.

image.png.b8bbb325877b5562e718746a48e8d60d.png

You did not mention what you want to achieve, daylight energy saving or add backup functionality (batteries) only?

If only daylight (when the sun shines) saving then consider the following THUMBSUCK MAX cost;

Inverter 8kW = 35K Sunsync as suggested by you..

Panels +-10kW = 65K

All the bits and bobs R25K

Installation R25K

Max = 150K...Add batteries (Minimum number to match inverter, probably 14kW) add another 85K (pylontech etc).

Budget is usually the deciding factor as to how big you want to go..A Sunsync 5kW install will cost probably R100K but you will then have less power generated.

So, one can see that there is a vast range of possibilities. As suggested read through some of the threads and then decide just what you want to achieve and then decide what your budget is, then you can look at optimising with cheaper inverter/batteries etc. and then ask questions, you will be inundated with real world experience responses.

Then finding a decent, reliable installer is required, get a quote or 2 and then take the plunge....

On 2021/09/28 at 2:56 PM, FixAMess said:

You did not mention what you want to achieve, daylight energy saving or add backup functionality (batteries) only?

If only daylight (when the sun shines) saving then consider the following THUMBSUCK MAX cost;

Inverter 8kW = 35K Sunsync as suggested by you..

Panels +-10kW = 65K

All the bits and bobs R25K

Installation R25K

Max = 150K...Add batteries (Minimum number to match inverter, probably 14kW) add another 85K (pylontech etc).

Budget is usually the deciding factor as to how big you want to go..A Sunsync 5kW install will cost probably R100K but you will then have less power generated.

So, one can see that there is a vast range of possibilities. As suggested read through some of the threads and then decide just what you want to achieve and then decide what your budget is, then you can look at optimising with cheaper inverter/batteries etc. and then ask questions, you will be inundated with real world experience responses.

Then finding a decent, reliable installer is required, get a quote or 2 and then take the plunge....

Thank you for your inputs @FixAMess. You asked a simple but an impactful question that what do I want to achieve; it forced me to think. I mean I know my longer term goal. The reason for considering the solar option was the high electricity bill (short term) and reduce dependence on the service provider (long term). Looking at the indicative numbers you posted, I guess I should consider daylight energy saving option to start with i.e. panels and inverter setup and consider options to effectively use electric geysers.

Hi Bp15

I,m also new to this solar thing ,still busy with my install.The first thing I took away from everything I read so far is to look at what you can reduce beforehand i.e. does your pool pump need to run 8 hours a day when 5 would be enough or have you changed all your lights to LED ? Adding all the small savings up will save you quite a bit in the long run and on the cost of your solar install when you decide to go ahead.