Hardware for running home assistant

Basil Katakuzinos

PI4 with a whole stack of software. Long term its wonderful, been running a PI for a few years already, currently on a 4. It is reliable for me, I added some cooling and a metal case to help. Its very low power consumption in comparison to anything else. It runs Linux but that is easy and free. Not much else for the price that can do the work. One upgrade to do for sure, dump the sd card and get a small SSD drive, its much faster and easy to set up, and way way way more reliable and longer lasting than sd cards.

3 hours ago, Sarel said:

PI4 with a whole stack of software. Long term its wonderful, been running a PI for a few years already, currently on a 4. It is reliable for me, I added some cooling and a metal case to help. Its very low power consumption in comparison to anything else. It runs Linux but that is easy and free. Not much else for the price that can do the work. One upgrade to do for sure, dump the sd card and get a small SSD drive, its much faster and easy to set up, and way way way more reliable and longer lasting than sd cards.

That sounds like a cool setup. Would you just follow the recomended installation method Raspberry Pi - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io) or is their a better/different approach used?

How much ram does your Pi have?

Edited by Basil Katakuzinos

3 hours ago, Sarel said:

Power consumption was a concern for me... i have a friend running it in a docker container on a linux vm.... i do not have a computer running 24/7 so this seemed like an ineficient implementation for myself. 

There are a few ways to get this operational, the official ways here Install types official

Then you have a few other ways. Like this one Iotstack and I based my install on this Iotstack but it get real involved real quick. Read, read again and then sleep on it before you repeat and only then do an install. Even then be prepared to wipe it and install again to get it properly functional. Backup backup backup, oh and test the backups hey….

18 minutes ago, Sarel said:

There are a few ways to get this operational, the official ways here Install types official

Then you have a few other ways. Like this one Iotstack and I based my install on this Iotstack but it get real involved real quick. Read, read again and then sleep on it before you repeat and only then do an install. Even then be prepared to wipe it and install again to get it properly functional. Backup backup backup, oh and test the backups hey….

Gosh those videos hurt my brain... this looks like a fun project!

I have a NUC, several PIs and some other small form factor servers and the PI is just fine, so are the others. Run what you got, or spend the least amount to get running, whatever that may be.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2021/10/03 at 6:09 PM, Sarel said:

What size Ram would you recommend on the Pi4 ? 

How is the SSD connected to the Pi ? Hope its not a silly question🤪