Kodak 7.2kw 48v inverter with kodak FL5.2 battery

ART545-144-1500MH-FULL-BLACK_Datasheet.pdfFL5.2.pdf

https://solarbackup.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/KODAK-Axpert-MAX-manual-20200727.pdf

Hi guys

Im new to solar and would appreciate all the advice i can get 

I have finally purchased the 7.2 OG kodak max with the kodak FL 5.2 lithium battery and 8 art solar panels each with 545 watts. I also have the dc cabling and battery cable. With a keto fuse holder.

What would the best way be to set up my pv arrangement? PMAX 545w, VOC 49.7v, ISC 13.91A

What else would be the necessities of a system like this like, ac breakers, DC breakers, DC disconnects, AC disconnects, battery fuse size, PV DC fuse size 

All help and advice would be highly appreciated

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 

I would run 2 strings of 4 panels and use both mppt on the max inverter 

through a combiner box with surge and dc fuses for panels 

and also put a 40a ac breaker or isolator supplying the inverter as those inverters have a tendency to blow the input fuse internally 

other than that you should be good to go. 

@Taahirthanks will set it up that way.

And I've forgotten to mention i will be going completely off grid. At the moment I am using eskom to see how the fl5.2 does during load shedding and after 2 hours with full daily use it reaches 77% capacity from 98% with out the pv panels connected.

The plan is to 1st save up and add another battery then monthly buy a panel or 2 until I reached capacity for mppt 

@87 Dreamthanks for the insight 

I think I will have to also get a 7 kw generator or close there for cloudy days.

The loads I have is a fridge, deep freeze hair dryer once a week, kettle but that we can move on to the gas stove to heat water for coffee n so on and a gas geyser 

If it comes to where we don't have sun for four days then I will have to get a generator. 

Would another Kodak fl5.2 suffice or not or what would  I have to also increase the panels 

My 2 cents is that if going offgrid there is no easy solution. You have to find a combination of sources like solar and wind and a backup generator for bad weather spells.

Warm months seems to have more clouds and rain then cold months but the peak production is higher. 

Cloudy and rainy days are lasting a whole week here in kzn.

Edited by Buyeye

Think that's my next step in saying good bye eskom is getting another fl5.2 Kodak then I'll be sitting on roughly 9kwh and if managed correctly do you guys think it will suffice at least for two days and that is using it sparingly for only nessacities.

• 8 months later...

Hi all. Have just installed a Growatt SPF 5000 ES inverter and the Kodak 5.2 5.12kwh battery. I'm struggling to get the battery to communicate via BMS/CAN/RS485.

any help? Would really appreciate it. Currently set at Bat US2 and working. But not efficiently. It's not detecting the correct battery voltage and effecting a charge.

20 hours ago, Terencen said:

Have just installed a Growatt SPF 5000 ES inverter and the Kodak 5.2 5.12kwh battery.

I think you should start a new topic for this. The Growatt has totally different settings to the Kodak inverter (which is an Axpert with Kodak branding).

• 4 weeks later...

Update 

I managed to add a battery of the same type Kodak fl5.2 to the system and its doing much better.

I'm thinking of adding a wind turbine to the system now and was wondering if it's possible and what is needed.

Anyone any idea's

9 minutes ago, Future said:

Update 

I managed to add a battery of the same type Kodak fl5.2 to the system and its doing much better.

I'm thinking of adding a wind turbine to the system now and was wondering if it's possible and what is needed.

Anyone any idea's

Have you researched the noise, permission from others if not on a farm/plot, reliability of wind Turbines?

Edited by Scorp007

Not yet was hoping to get info on here to see if it was possible and then look at paperwork regarding laws and permission from neighbours and municipal by laws. The area I stay in is more rural so hoping it wouldn't be problematic setting up regarding the paper work

11 hours ago, Future said:

It's possible, but it needs a different type of charge controller. You can't just rectify the output and connect to an inverter's PV input, even though that comes close to working.