Axpert compatibly

KevinM

Hi all

I have a system with 2 X Axpert inverters in parallel. One of the inverters MPPT has popped. I would like to purchase a new unit and have the faulty unit sent of repairs. Unfortunately Inverter and Solar warehouse no longer sells this kind of inverter. 

Does anybody know if the SMD LynX 5000-48 AxpertKS-MKS-4K-5K (my one)  is compatible with the MECER 5KVA/5KW PF1 64V CHARGER/ 48V DC Mecer. I can get one from CShop.co.za for R9000.

I would really appreciate any input or alternative suggestions.

Kevin Mann

5 hours ago, KevinM said:

if the SMD LynX 5000-48 AxpertKS-MKS-4K-5K (my one)  is compatible with the MECER 5KVA/5KW PF1 64V CHARGER/ 48V DC Mecer.

They won't be compatible, assuming that your existing one is a 4kW/5kVA model (PF 0.8). There are no new PF0.8 models, they are now all PF1. 

5 hours ago, KevinM said:

I would like to purchase a new unit and have the faulty unit sent off for repairs.

Instead of doing that, send off just the SCC board; it's a separate board. But you'll need an accommodating repairer that does board level repairs.

Or better yet, since such repairers are rare these days, just purchase a new SCC, either just the PCB, or the whole module including the inductors. It's unlikely that the inductors are damaged. You should be able to buy a replacement from whoever sold you the inverter, or from Ebay etc. If you are not confident with electronics yourself, you'll have to find someone local to install it. Hopefully that can be a quicker job than sending away the whole unit. You have a second inverter to run your loads on its own; just be careful not to overload it. 

You can find a service manual on this site to make the installation easier, for whoever does the replacement.

Sadly, finding the replacement SCC won't be easy, and there are many incompatible versions of SCCs. The manufacturer places almost zero value on maintenance and repair, especially on older models. 

On 2021/12/02 at 3:18 PM, John said:

You could also consider getting a stand alone mppt like victron (costs the same as a new inverter though) or some other brand 

+1

I ran with an external Victron MPPT for a while (and actually no PV connected to the Axperts anymore). Worked like a charm

a quick google for "inverter repair" shows a few places in Gauteng.

perhaps give them a call, see who can offer you drop in board replacement, chances are they'll have some spares lying around, especially on older models like yours.

it'll save time, money and get your system running again quickly.

Alternatively and possible less likely to produce a result.

inverter warehouse themselves have a small collection of inverters that seem second hand, maybe demo lying around in their warehouse, that they may be willing to sell.

it came up in my last visit there, they seemed amiable to the idea, I didn't pursue it further however.

if none of the above works out, cooper power does repairs, well they did the last time I dealt with them, maybe a call to confirm.

Edited by Nitrious