Jumping on bandwagon

Hi

Im finally able to get myself a solar system, now the learning start as I love doing most things DIY and have zero solar background...

Ive ordered the following:

KODAK Solar Off Grid Inverter OG-Plus 5.48RM

2x Jinko Solar Panel Tiger 470W Mono-Facial

for now ill be using 2nd hand 110Ah deep cycle batteries (x4) untill I can get myself a Pylontech US3000

biggest challenge I have at the moment is where to place the panels

was thinking off building a "carport" in front of the house then I hit 2 birds with one stone, some shade and place for the panels, but not sure on the design and how the panels will be placed to be at the correct angle, will be spending some more time on the forum but if someone can point me in right direction ill appreciate

as funds allow I will be adding more panels so not planning on using only 2x, I was thinking about 8 panels should be enough

You could even go to 10 470W panels, as 4700W is 117.5% of nominal. 120% should be safe for a 145V max PV model.

Check your sticker; there are higher PV voltage versions of the Axpert King now, and I don't know what Kodak would call those. I think you're 99% certain of having a model that will work with just 2 panels. The Kodak OG Plus 5K-45 is an Axpert King, but I don't know what the RM means. Perhaps post a photo of your sticker?

Edit: I just found that RM means Rack Mount. You should be OK, though it might be harder to get firmware updates for it, compared to the standard mount King. 

Edited by Coulomb

9 hours ago, otter said:

was thinking off building a "carport" in front of the house then I hit 2 birds with one stone, some shade and place for the panels, but not sure on the design and how the panels will be placed to be at the correct angle

Hi Otter, it is very difficult without knowing the orientation of your house and general layout, trees etc. If possible, can you go to Google Earth, find your house, zoom in and take a screenshot. 

On 2021/12/19 at 3:53 AM, Coulomb said:

I just found that RM means Rack Mount.

yes I went for rack mount as im renting here and then at least it will be easier to just take my rack and go one day...

On 2021/12/19 at 7:23 AM, Don said:

find your house, zoom in and take a screenshot. 

red square is where I plan to put the "carport"

image.png

Hi Otter, ideally you would like to have the panels face North (Orange Line). Your carport would probable face North North West (Red Line). It should not be a problem. I see you have a huge tree to the North and to the West that might cause shading on your panels in the afternoon. Another consideration would be the distance to your inverter. As you are working with DC power, you want the cables as short as possible because of voltage drop. Then you might need to install thicker PV cables, depending on the distance. 

Otter3.jpg

3 hours ago, Don said:

huge tree to the North and to the West that might cause shading

From what Ive seen the huge tree wont be a issue but in winter it might be

3 hours ago, Don said:

Another consideration would be the distance to your inverter.

will be about 10m max, was thinking 6mm should be enough ?

3 hours ago, Don said:

Here is an example of what a solar carport would look like.

thanks ! any possibility for a pic from the bottom ? want to see what type of steel they used and how they support the mounting rails

9 minutes ago, otter said:

will be about 10m max, was thinking 6mm should be enough ?

If it is only 10m, 6mm will be just fine.

10 minutes ago, otter said:

any possibility for a pic from the bottom ? want to see what type of steel they used and how they support the mounting rails

It is a pic one of my friends sent to me of the carport he built on his farm. I will find out if he has more pics. 

• 2 weeks later...

update on my install :)

really enjoyed this DIY project with my "limited" knowledge... 

I decided to put carport idea on hold for now and rather used the extra cash to buy 2x more panels

I still need to lift the panels up for them to be not directly on the roof and correct angle, will get to that next week. max PV Power I noticed sofar was about 1900w

the DB Board in the house was a complete mess so I decided to replace it completely still have some tidy up to do...

in the new year I will get my 48u rack where everything wil go in, so for now I mounted everything on a piece of wood against the wall

Now my next mission is to find some open source software that support MQTT then Ill be able to integrate my system into home assistant I want to run a few automation for when eskom is not available and not enough power from PV it will shutdown non essential equipment in the house in order to save battery

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

5 hours ago, Otter said:

I was able to setup bellow software on a pi and send all the info to home assistant, I can also send command to the inverter from automations

https://github.com/ned-kelly/docker-voltronic-homeassistant

image.thumb.png.190aa14f69ddfb547966e7063b0254aa.png

This is a great starter system, just shows that it can be done on a very tight budget. I am sure that you will inspire many, congratulations and well done!