Jump to content

Roku, Chromecast etc.


Recommended Posts

I'm wanting to get off of my current DSTV satellite package and instead start streaming. For some services that interest us (Eg BritBox) there is an app installed on my TV.

My concern is F1. F1 TV is available in SA, and not too expensive, but they don't give you an app for a smart TV. You get an app that runs on IOS, Android or on Roku, or you can watch in a browser (OK, certain browsers) on a PC. My laptop is getting on in years now and doesn't have an HDMI output, so I can't simply plug that into the TV. You can use Chromecast to get the picture from your phone/PC etc to a TV.

Roku looks like a good option to me. You can download the F1 TV app onto the stick and the stick plugs straight into the TV.

But I read various things about whether or not Roku works or does not in SA. I think I am right in saying that the actual stick works, but you don't get the free services that you do get in some territories. That is acceptable to me. I wouldn't be contemplating Roku or Chromecast if F1 just made their app available for my smart TV, but they don't support ANY smart TV. You always have to plug something into the TV to watch F1.

Do I understand correctly?

PS: An extra annoyance with all of this is that I will need multiple remotes. As long as the apps run natively on the TV I have one remote to rule them all. The moment I plug some other device in I need a remote. 

Edited by Bobster
better flow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bobster said:

I'm wanting to get off of my current DSTV satellite package and instead start streaming. For some services that interest us (Eg BritBox) there is an app installed on my TV.

My concern is F1. F1 TV is available in SA, and not too expensive, but they don't give you an app for a smart TV. You get an app that runs on IOS, Android or on Roku, or you can watch in a browser (OK, certain browsers) on a PC. My laptop is getting on in years now and doesn't have an HDMI output, so I can't simply plug that into the TV. You can use Chromecast to get the picture from your phone/PC etc to a TV.

Roku looks like a good option to me. You can download the F1 TV app onto the stick and the stick plugs straight into the TV.

But I read various things about whether or not Roku works or does not in SA. I think I am right in saying that the actual stick works, but you don't get the free services that you do get in some territories. That is acceptable to me. I wouldn't be contemplating Roku or Chromecast if F1 just made their app available for my smart TV, but they don't support ANY smart TV. You always have to plug something into the TV to watch F1.

Do I understand correctly?

PS: An extra annoyance with all of this is that I will need multiple remotes. As long as the apps run natively on the TV I have one remote to rule them all. The moment I plug some other device in I need a remote. 

My Roku stick works perfectly in SA, but then again I only use it for Netflix. Will check if it is possible to download the F1 TV app and confirm when I get home

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

My Roku stick works perfectly in SA, but then again I only use it for Netflix. Will check if it is possible to download the F1 TV app and confirm when I get home

You're very kind. F1 state that the app is available on certain Roku models. I was just trying to make sense of various claims about "Roku" not working in SA. I think that it is the Roku TV service itself that we don't get (unless we use a VPN), but that the stick itself works fine. 

Which you've just confirmed, thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bobster said:

I'm wanting to get off of my current DSTV satellite package and instead start streaming. For some services that interest us (Eg BritBox) there is an app installed on my TV.

My concern is F1. F1 TV is available in SA, and not too expensive, but they don't give you an app for a smart TV. You get an app that runs on IOS, Android or on Roku, or you can watch in a browser (OK, certain browsers) on a PC. My laptop is getting on in years now and doesn't have an HDMI output, so I can't simply plug that into the TV. You can use Chromecast to get the picture from your phone/PC etc to a TV.

Roku looks like a good option to me. You can download the F1 TV app onto the stick and the stick plugs straight into the TV.

But I read various things about whether or not Roku works or does not in SA. I think I am right in saying that the actual stick works, but you don't get the free services that you do get in some territories. That is acceptable to me. I wouldn't be contemplating Roku or Chromecast if F1 just made their app available for my smart TV, but they don't support ANY smart TV. You always have to plug something into the TV to watch F1.

Do I understand correctly?

PS: An extra annoyance with all of this is that I will need multiple remotes. As long as the apps run natively on the TV I have one remote to rule them all. The moment I plug some other device in I need a remote. 

It looks like there is no option to download any app on the stick. It has pre-selected apps that you can add/download, mine has 850 apps and no F1 TV. If you have not bought Roku yet, try the Amazon one, I think it is called Fire TV or Fire stick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/12/26 at 9:00 PM, hoohloc said:

It looks like there is no option to download any app on the stick. It has pre-selected apps that you can add/download, mine has 850 apps and no F1 TV. If you have not bought Roku yet, try the Amazon one, I think it is called Fire TV or Fire stick. 

F1 say that their app is only available on 7th and 8th generation Roku devices. So if the device is older than that then the F1 app is unsupported. 

 

@Tariq what TV do you have? I have a not current generation Samsung smart TV and I could download britbox from the Samsung app store.

I can get everything I want from that app store EXCEPT F1. F1 is only supported on android smart TVs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

F1 are sowing confusion.

They announced that F1 TV would be available on all Rokus with model number 39xx

I saw that and bought a 3940 (aka Express 4k)

Then they gave more detailed information listing specific model numbers in the 39xx range. The 3940 is not supported according to this table. The Roku stick is supported. 

But before I return the 3940 and buy the stick I checked with F1.

They now tell me that F1 is available in SA, and on Roku, but not on Roku in SA (but they are working on it). 

They suggested I buy an Apple TV. 

I've asked them to list the options available in SA. I can watch on a smart phone, but really? 

A pity because the Roku is a nice piece of kit. Very easy to set up,  very good quality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the Xiaomi Mi Box S and I just installed the F1 TV app to check for you and all seems to work. I would have to subscribe to get any further but installs and loads perfectly. 

My TV also doesn't support all the apps. Dstv app doesn't work but the showmax one does, so the Xiaomi give me a Google verified device that supports everything as far as I can tell. Can definitely recommend, but yes there will be another remote. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...