Repair of Axpert Inverters : A Journey Started

BritishRacingGreen

On 2024/02/18 at 6:22 AM, Scorp007 said:

A normal temp is so hot that you cannot keep your finger there longer than 1sec. Not that it is just hot when you touch it.

OK, but that would be with a substantial load, right? @wael_fathe mentioned a load of 100 W, for a 5000 W inverter (2% of rated load).

46 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

OK, but that would be with a substantial load, right? @wael_fathe mentioned a load of 100 W, for a 5000 W inverter (2% of rated load).

Point taken. Could it not be like on FETs that are just partially on that they have to absorb a lot of power and heat up. At high current much lower heat.

Not a fundi with electronics but observations. 

Example off a voltage regulator even at low power. We have many thousands of these PSU in the field. Red dot on the basic aluminium heat sink 

IMG_20240219_152914.thumb.jpg.d5b6b91da58cd5321f1d219a035b1138.jpg

Edited by Scorp007

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023/08/13 at 4:26 PM, BritishRacingGreen said:

input. So you will have to clip on about a 12R 10W resistor on the  -12V load output to draw at least a 1A current , then check the output voltage. Ideally an oscilloscope on the C116 should be used to check the ripple  as well.

How much voltage drop  is legal after the application of this load ...from 12- to-11.5 is still good?

On 2023/09/02 at 5:22 PM, BritishRacingGreen said:

a Short Guide to Bring Up a 5kW Axpert Main Board in the Softest Possible Manner : Chapter 3 Part 1

---- Testing the DC-DC converter ----

So at this stage we have powered the main board rail supplies via an external PSU feed , without any supply on the battery terminals , and we have no DSP controller card inserted. This is ideal in order to test all the various driver signals without having any power on the mosfets and igbts.  Of course it is essential that you test both the battery  bus and the high voltage bus for a short circuit. if there are short circuits it is most probably due to a failed igbt or mosfet. You will have to unsolder those devices that causes the short.

Below you will find a block diagram of the dc-dc converter :

image.thumb.png.3fa3f2b2b8f7cfea5106f482c0e3355f.png

This diagram will help you to understand the working of the dc-dc converter. It is a bidirectional converter and power may flow from either BAT to BUS or vice versa. When the inverter is in battery mode , the power flows from the BAT to the BUS . When the grid or pv is charging the battery , power flows from BUS to BAT . 

On either side of the high frequency transformer TX1 there is two full bridges, on the BAT side low voltage mosfets are used , and on the BUS side high voltage igbt's are used.

Both full bridges are controlled by a two phase PWM controller of type 3525. In our case the 3525 does not vary PWM and therefore the duty cycle is fixed at about 50%. The frequency is about 38khz. The phase A and phase B is 180 degrees out of phase . The output signals can be enabled or disabled by the DSP via the shutdown control pin as shown.

So your first question might be :  how does the DSP control the direction of power flow . The answer is it does not have to. The answer lies in theory of supply and demand.  When there is 50V battery voltage and 0V bus voltage , then power will automatically flow from left to right. The left hand side full bridge will chop the battery dc to ac thru TX1 and the ac produced on the right hand side of TX1 will be full wave rectified by the igbt full bridge. Notice that the transformer ratio of TX1  is 1:8 , meaning the BUS will be about 8 x that of BAT voltage , this will relate to 50V:400V , make sense doesn't it . 400V is what we need on the bus  for the DC-AC converter. If the ratio between BAT and BUS are balanced ,Vbus = 8 x Vbat, then no power will flow anymore.

If there exists an alternative BUS source , e.g. pv or grid , and Vbat  goes lower than Vbus/8 , then guess what , power now flow from right to left. The igbt's now chop dc to ac for TX1 , and the mosfets on the battery side are now merely full wave rectifier. 

When I started to play with this in practice , I realized this is some kind of magic ! 

So  this is my methodology for bringing up a DC-DC converter that had experienced a catastrophic failure. We going to first debug the driver circuits in a complete zone of comfort , no supplies on the BAT or BUS.  Then we going to replace faulty mosfets and igbts. And lastly we are going to manually enable the 3525 PWM , supply a very low BAT supply of 3V (yes 3 volts!) and measure to see if we get 3x8 = 24V on the BUS side.  Conversely , we going to inject 24V on the BUS side and check wether we get 3V on the BAT terminals ! . The promise is that we can now test the switching levels not only on the gates , but also between source and drain of the mosfets , and between emitter and collectors of the IGBT's . And if we getting satisfied , we up the 3V to 6V to 9v to 12V and so forth. 

This is all about bringing up failed sections in the softest possible manner .

So in Part 2 I will provide details on how to bring of the drivers for phases A and B , and how to stimulate the 3525 PWN controller to deliver the sources of the driver signals. Also we will monitor the voltage ranges of the gate drivers as not to exceed maximum values.  I will provide nice schematics of the drivers in order to help you with the debugging.

In Part 3 we will  power the chain as mentioned , and test the switching actions of the power devices.

So watch out for Part 2 of this chapter 3.

NOTE : as explained, the dc-dc converter is merely a simple open loop converter . It is not a voltage or current  regulator . The rule of engagement is simple , if the  BAT voltage is ratio-metrically higher than that of the BUS , power flows from BAT to BUS. If the BUS voltage is ratio-metrically higher than that of BAT , power flows from BUS to BAT. The ratio of TX1 is fixed at very close to 1:8  . So how do we control battery charge voltage and current? This is done upstream in the BUS circuit by a simple BUCK converter. Therefore the BUCK converter can control the BUS voltage on the left hand side of the bus , thereby regulating the final battery voltage and current.

Great explanations the entire process is natural ...only after h bridge ac phase have to be adjusted to suck utility ac in if the battery low and bus high or to spit ac out if battery high bus is low 

On 2023/03/20 at 11:08 AM, BritishRacingGreen said:

The inverters that has so called batteryless mode, can be powered by both grid input and/or pv in the absense of battery power. 

On the MAX family there is only battery supply for the SMPS on the main board. But in addition to this there is a seperate SPS module. This module features two switch mode power supplies, one for grid input and one for MPPT. The resultant isolated 60VDC outputs are wired-or and connected to the main board where it is wired-or again with the battery 48v dc. 

I am not sure how this is accomplished on the MKS3 and MKS4, maybe on the large flat MPPT board, but thats just a wild guess. 

EDIT :  the pv path does not require the activation via on/off button, it will bring the machine up regardlessly, of course given enough pv power to do so. This has the disadvantage of early morning sunrise chatter of the relays/power supply. But then again I dont think people are using the machine in pv only mode, as a single power source. 

As short as possible for new comers ...its eaither way

The oring happens at the battery side where all 3 sps(mppt sps..ac sps..main sps)  ored there so that they operate main sps without  on command 

Though that bit strange as it seems that main sps should always work yet its not if  on_off switch in off position...maybe the onnoff switch is used to cut dc for the mains sps whilhe other sps are fed directly with no swicths or any restrictions

Or 3 sps (battery sps .ac sps..main sps)..this one i have seen alot in clone models...battery sps is stupid sps that produce 120vdc or so to operate the main sps  oring happens there   at the output of the battery sps where mppt not need an sps they derive some volt from working controller or panels battery sps work by main switch...mppt and ac sps inject power directly at battery sps forcing main sps to work ....

Edited by wael_fathe

23 hours ago, wael_fathe said:

How much voltage drop  is legal after the application of this load ...from 12- to-11.5 is still good?

I would say it's just OK. Voltage regulators usually have a 5% tolerance; 95% x 12 V = 11.4 V. But if there is significant ripple on the output, then it's no good. For example,  if the 11.5 V is basically a sawtooth from -12 V to -11 V, then the electrolytic is bad, or maybe 1 A of load is too much.

• 2 weeks later...

this  qmax  solar inverter is strangely  designed

first it is  compact with  some  vertical boards for ac ignt output  drivers   and    vertical board for  sps   and  soft start sps

second  with the ac output  igbts  removed it should give error 53   soFtstarting ac  failed

with  output  ac igbts removed it gave  error 58  which is low ac output ac  suddenly raise to 230 

no  raising  in soft start fashion 

the breif is that some units  have   fewer  codes  available(no  error53 in this  one)  and  fewer  fucntions  missing(ac  not raise  gradually) 

they ALSO INSANELY INSTALL 6  fets  there  10 places but they ommit 4 of them

however  after i fix it  i install  the missing   fets  along with thier   missing  drive  componenets

20240312_022919[1].jpg

Edited by wael_fathe

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 2022/11/09 at 4:22 AM, BritishRacingGreen said:

and the igbt driver section schematic :

I see that you have made the same mistake Maxo and I did with R158, R10, and R21.  They are marked 18C, which sounds like 18k as you have marked, but in fact it's the code for 15k. I've fixed Maxo's schematic this morning.

I doubt it makes a heap of difference, but it did cause at least one reader to be confused about what value to use.

image.png.314b5328300d0a1ae780ca18116adde3.png

Edited by Coulomb

On 2024/05/05 at 6:04 AM, Coulomb said:

I see that you have made the same mistake Maxo and I did with R158, R10, and R21.  They are marked 18C, which sounds like 18k as you have marked, but in fact it's the code for 15k. I've fixed Maxo's schematic this morning.

I doubt it makes a heap of difference, but it did cause at least one reader to be confused about what value to use.

image.png.314b5328300d0a1ae780ca18116adde3.png

thanks @Coulomb , noted.

One question I have , is what is the main purpose of that resistor. Not shown in your snippet of schematic is the two electrolytic capacitors, one in parallel with the resistor and one in parallel with the 5v6 zener. The zener tells me that it clamps the bottom cap to 5.6v and the balance of the supply appears across the top cap. The only explanation I can think of is maybe the resistor bleeds off spikes on the supply , especially when the load impedances (the igbt driver) is high. But this is a shot in the dark.

10 hours ago, BritishRacingGreen said:

what is the main purpose of that resistor.

The resistor and zener form a voltage divider; the zener adjusts its resistance so that there is about 5.6 V across it.

Without the resistor to push current into the zener and other parts of the circuit, there would be no voltage across the zener, I think.