City of Cape town solar approval wiring diagram

Barendkoorts

Hope i can get some help . I'm in the process to apply for permission to install  panels and inverter  .  i have spoke to the guys and the axpert inverter is seen like an ups system .  I need to send a line diagram of what i plan to do . Is there  someone that can assist me with that or what the basic requirements is for the installation.  Its basic  eskom feed inverter then inverter to small sub DB that will supply my lights and basic stuff . 

Thanks

24 minutes ago, HendrikBigChief said:

Stellenbosch does not fall under CityOfCape Town, lucky, otherwise the Axpert would not have been allowed

Hi Hendrik I'm in Brackenfell now . The Axpert is actually allowed . Its not on the list because its an off grid inverter and cant feed back into the grid . 

18 minutes ago, HendrikBigChief said:

Where are you going to get the signature of a professional engineer to sign off the design?

Hendrik its not grid tie .  no feeding back into the grid . you basically need your COC for the installation , the line diagram and the completed form.    

Off-grid / standby systems:

• Electrical installation Certificate of Compliance

A Commissioning Approval Letter will then be issued within 10 working days

Application for the connection of Embedded Generation - Copy.pdf

The line drawing guide/objects/components/glossary is on the City of Cape Town website

https://resource.capetown.gov.za/documentcentre/Documents/Procedures, guidelines and regulations/Embedded generation schematic drawings SK5276.pdf

Depending on your layout the line drawing is done using those components

Not sure if there is a Microsoft visio plug-in you can import with these objects

I know Victron has a visio plugin that might work, but I did not cross-reference the objects

3 hours ago, Dieter said:

The line drawing guide/objects/components/glossary is on the City of Cape Town website

https://resource.capetown.gov.za/documentcentre/Documents/Procedures, guidelines and regulations/Embedded generation schematic drawings SK5276.pdf

Not sure if there is a Microsoft visio plug-in you can import with these objects

I know Victron has a visio plugin that might work, but I did not cross-reference the objects

Thanks Dieter what i was looking for 

On 2023/03/31 at 11:13 AM, Dieter said:

Which one of those designs would qualify as a Deye/Sunsynk typical system? Is a Deye/Sunsynk system that is configured to not push back to the grid also seen as "Standby Hybrid SSEG"?

58 minutes ago, HendrikBigChief said:

Which one of those designs would qualify as a Deye/Sunsynk typical system? Is a Deye/Sunsynk system that is configured to not push back to the grid also seen as "Standby Hybrid SSEG"?

Page 3 with a auto change over operated by the inverter. 

However it is drawn as if you can export back to utility. With a CT as we know this will be blocked. 

I've also got an Axpert Inverter, living in CT, wanting to add some solar panels.

COCT sent me 2 documents, the one Dieter linked to and the document attached here.
They added this comment, "For a standby system the installation can be signed off by a qualified electrician and the installation must conform to SANS(specific to the application)"

There was so much confusion around all these "off grid" inverters, which is nothing more than a glorified UPS.
Check the diagram and note where it says the inverters don't have to be on the approved list.

Standby and Off Grid installations.pdf

Edited by BTTB

4 hours ago, BTTB said:

Check the diagram and note where it says the inverters don't have to be on the approved list.

... they do not allow approved list inverters for off-grid use, why not just say so?

and the diagrams seem to only show dc-coupled systems

another thing I do not understand is, why limit grid charging to 15 amp (63amp x 25%) because it supposes to be off-grid?