VE direct usb 2 PI 4 ICC

flamegrilled

Hi Folks,

I bought a usb cable for the BMV 702 to usb on the PI.It does not work(recognise the device)

On windows it does.The ic software and windows sees the device.

I don't have a key for the ICC windows version so I cannot test it.

What is needed on Pi-2 to get this to work? 

Thanks.

Well, the first step is to check if Linux sees the device. Internally it's an FTDI usb-serial converter so it will come up as /dev/ttyUSBx where x is some number. Usually udev will symlink it for you, so you can list all serial devices quite easily, eg:

root@ccgx:~# ls -l /dev/serial/by-id/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            13 Feb  7 17:29 usb-FTDI_USB-RS485_Cable_FTXYLY3F-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            13 Feb  7 17:29 usb-VictronEnergy_BV_VE_Direct_cable_VE9MRFG-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB1

If it lists the device there, then you can check that data arrives across it using something like screen at 19.2kbaud, eg:

screen /dev/ttyUSB0 19200

If you see text on the screen, then the cable and BMV is working.

15 hours ago, flamegrilled said:

Under Battery control tick or no tick . It does not display.

Thanks Plonkster  : screen /dev/ttyUSB0 19200 works.Get the data streaming

Should be ticked. and BMV should say thread running with time indication 

24 minutes ago, flamegrilled said:

The PI I have is too old.Not enought threads.

What? That's not how that stuff works, or not how it should.

A computer does multitasking a bit like a man who chews bubblegum while walking, but cannot do it at the same time. He chews a bit, then walks a bit, then chews a bit, and so on. If you swap between chewing and walking really quickly it looks like it is happening simultaneously, but in reality it isn't.

Even a single-core CPU can do two things at the same time using this method, and that is how we did it for decades before symmetric multiprocessing became common. More cores means more things in parallel, but there are way more than just 4 or even 8 things that needs to be juggled on a modern OS, so it will still juggle them.

So whether your CPU is single, dual or quad core matters little. Threads will be juggled anyway. At 19200 baud rate, that thread will spend most of its time sleeping anyway (waiting for an interrupt on the serial port to wake it up), so you really shouldn't need a dedicated core to run it.

12 minutes ago, watkykjy1 said:

scuse the pun plonkster

Hey, where do you think the nick comes from? Mostly from acting like a plonker in random #irc channels, plonking out, and drinking wine of dubious quality (aka plonk), and that I like the 2003 remake of The Italian Job (because of the cars, can't care less about that one particular actress) where Lyle insists that his nickname was The Napster (because he always had nappy hair) before his roommate stole it.

So there you go. Happily plonking around on online forums since 1997 (ish).

2 hours ago, watkykjy1 said:

irc and bulletin boards

My first online experience was with an actual dial-up bulletin board service (aka bbs). Then came the Internet, which was via Beltel back in the day. Finally we got internet when I went to university. The Pirc and Mirc days (and slapping people around with a large trout), and then we learned how to run ircII on the unix server and life was never the same again :-)

Pity the Pi Zero is only 40% more powerful than the Pi1 (same CPU Chip, just upped the clock from 700 Mhz to 1 Ghz), else it would have been a nice low cost option for ICC users. The lack of Ethernet/Wifi is addressable with a Ethernet to USB dongle, but alas, I think it will also run out of steam.

For interest sake, here is the comparison table of all the different Pies (Pi's):lol:

<iframe width="100%" height="520" src="http://socialcompare.com/en/w/raspberrypi-models-comparison#" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"></iframe>

The CCGX is a single core 600Mhz Arm processor with 256GB of not particularly fast RAM. That's actually very close to the original Pi and except for emoncms we do pretty much all the rest of the same things... :-)

Then again we don't run a copy of mysql...

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018/03/13 at 4:01 PM, plonkster said:

My first online experience was with an actual dial-up bulletin board service (aka bbs). Then came the Internet, which was via Beltel back in the day. Finally we got internet when I went to university. The Pirc and Mirc days (and slapping people around with a large trout), and then we learned how to run ircII on the unix server and life was never the same again :-)

Aaah, the good 'ol days. BBS ruled the world!! :D BitchX caused a lot of uproar back then. Now it's totally forgotten. 

7 hours ago, SilverNodashi said:

BitchX

I remember there were some people who ran that, but I never did. I later used irssi, used to hang out on #freenode until a few years ago. Nothing wrong with the protocol really, it just sort-of went out of vogue.