2 x Deye SA Version 12kVA 3ph in Parallel Export Settings won't change

Charl Joubert

Hi all :)

I'm sitting with a small issue that seems to be messing with the values.  I'm trying to change from Zero Export to CT to Zero Export to Load.  The reason being that I have nothing on the "non-essential" side of things.  Everything is on main backup feed of the inverter.  It goes grid -> inverter -> house.  My geysers will soon be on the "Smart Load" but that's besides the point.  When I had the single inverter for the first two weeks my values made sense and was on the Zero Export to Load setting.  Now that I've connected the second inverter and put them into Parallel it keeps jumping back to Zero Export to CT and I'm now getting negative values under very specific circumstances.

I was told by Deye Support to factory reset and I still get the same problem.  See below:

image.thumb.jpeg.da748bef606455e5a6dd9c699e7768cd.jpeg

I'm finding that late at night when my battery charges from grid then the load of the house goes into negative on Solar Assistant.  This shows as 0 on the display.  Here's a graph of me forcing the battery charge to test different settings.  You can see that the difference between the load and the grid when the battery charges separate, but not by the amount that the battery is charging.  That separation would need about 300w more difference if I had to do the maths.  But there's barely 150w difference initially when not charging.

image.thumb.png.a958c40018a31ff109c84d125f8121bb.png

Deye have told me they're getting feedback from an Engineer tomorrow about changing the setting.

Can this be CT related?  I've checked a few times and they're the right way around (pointing to the inverter), in the correct positions on the grid line, and... I THINK they're connected to the correct spots in the inverter... would that make a difference?  I have six of them because of it being 2x 3ph inverters.

Once I'm able to change the export setting this won't be an issue.  But hopefully someone knows better than I do and this can help someone else in the same situation.

Problem Solved.  Long story short is Deye downgraded me one version and suddenly I could select Zero Export to Load.

Here's an interesting graph to look at.  You can see that my values were actually fluctuating wildly all over the place.  Then you see a gap from about 13h00 until 16h00 when the downgrade was done and I was able to change to Zero Export to Load.

image.thumb.png.c538036ba4fd53e65903ff1910cdcfb5.png

And this next graph is a zoom in of where I did a force charge from grid (like before) and then let it drain again.  Funny it took about seven minutes to go up 1% and then less than two minutes to drop that 1% again.

image.thumb.png.6fb83de2c2f06125e8f0f221bf5f6a69.png

I'm now convinced my CTs are installed wrong.  Lucky me, I don't need them!

For those interested in the firmware, this was the version I was on and Deye downgraded me from 1127 to 1126:

image.thumb.png.037e8cd77d3a8760ee9b2c7aa7de1da6.png

On 2023/04/20 at 12:16 AM, Charl Joubert said:

Can this be CT related?  I've checked a few times and they're the right way around (pointing to the inverter), in the correct positions on the grid line, and... I THINK they're connected to the correct spots in the inverter... would that make a difference?  I have six of them because of it being 2x 3ph inverters

I was under the impression only the master requires CTs, am I wrong?

21 hours ago, Charl Joubert said:

I'm now convinced my CTs are installed wrong.

I have a friend who has an 8Kw Deye. I helped him install it. The strange thing is that when the CT is installed the correct way (the arrow pointing toward the inverter) the icon on the screen shows power being exported when it is in fact being imported from the grid.
In the manual I read that if the power appears to be going the wrong way, try turn it around.
So now, with the arrow pointing toward the DB, the screen shows the power going the correct way. 🤷🏻‍♂️

6 hours ago, Marcelle said:

How was the service from Deye? Where they quick to respond?

They responded within about half an hour.  It's quite scary how you just have to give them a serial number and bam, they've got you.  The language barrier wasn't that bad at all either.  For my specific case it took a day or two for her and the engineers to figure out what was wrong but once they figured it out they were able to give me the right version number.

I'm planning on getting a 2nd battery and just going to plonk the things onto Island mode.  No need to worry about all these little wattage leaks.

On 2023/04/22 at 8:06 AM, frivan said:

I was under the impression only the master requires CTs, am I wrong?

You know you might actually be right!  When looking at the diagram for a parallel 3ph setup I only see one set of CTs.  It likely explains my funky numbers.

image.png.f5a6630ed9544670e500a1fc4b174e8d.png

Nevertheless, I'm soon to go Island Mode and see what City Power says about my 0 usage...

1 hour ago, Charl Joubert said:

You know you might actually be right!  When looking at the diagram for a parallel 3ph setup I only see one set of CTs.  It likely explains my funky numbers.

image.png.f5a6630ed9544670e500a1fc4b174e8d.png

Nevertheless, I'm soon to go Island Mode and see what City Power says about my 0 usage...

If you change from zero export to CT and choose zero export with sell PV, it ignores the CTs. Some figures are clearly calculated and an incorrect CT setup can mess these up.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an update.  We've had the CTs installed in the correct position and the 2nd set of CTs removed.  I then asked Deye to update me again to the latest firmware (1131), put it into CT mode and I no longer have negative values.  It's been fine for the last three weeks since then.

BUT... another issue still remains.  I see when my battery is charging off PV it pulls from grid as well in proportion to the load.  It's almost like you can say PV + Load * X = Grid.  The moment the battery is full the grid pull goes away.  You can see it on the graph here minus that loadshedding period.  And no, charge from grid isn't selected during this time.

I'm getting a 2nd battery installed soon so I'm going to ask the installers if my battery cables and AC cables are not running too close to each other... because (and I wave my hands around like I know what I'm talking about) magnetic fields...

image.thumb.png.b2efa567d8e6300e39aa361ac5e0e44c.png

Update:

My installer is here.  He tells me that there's no way DC can influence AC so my magnets theory is out the window (I'm not surprised).

As a test we've switched grid charge off completely, checked the CT ratio is correct, switched between Battery and Load priority (wich seemed to make no difference).  He says he's going to chat with Deye to see where this extra Grid draw is coming from.  Because if you do the maths for:

image.png.73bfe65ed65228e307eb8762277c8357.png

5703 + 7058 = 12761 then you minus the 12821w solar and you get -60w.  Where is this 772w coming from??  I guess we'll wait for Deye to respond.

5 minutes ago, Charl Joubert said:

Update:

My installer is here.  He tells me that there's no way DC can influence AC so my magnets theory is out the window (I'm not surprised).

As a test we've switched grid charge off completely, checked the CT ratio is correct, switched between Battery and Load priority (wich seemed to make no difference).  He says he's going to chat with Deye to see where this extra Grid draw is coming from.  Because if you do the maths for:

image.png.73bfe65ed65228e307eb8762277c8357.png

5703 + 7058 = 12761 then you minus the 12821w solar and you get -60w.  Where is this 772w coming from??  I guess we'll wait for Deye to respond.

Have you switched off all your non essentials? AFAIK the load excludes the non essential draw. 

41 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

Have you switched off all your non essentials? AFAIK the load excludes the non essential draw. 

I have no non-essentials.  Everything is 100% on the main "backup" line.

EDIT:  You made me wonder now, so I switched it back to Zero Export to Load so it doesn't feed to non-essentials... same story.

Edited by Charl Joubert

30 minutes ago, Charl Joubert said:

I have no non-essentials.  Everything is 100% on the main "backup" line.

Then it is weird. 

Does the CT actually show that you use this from grid or is it only calculated? 

Edited by Scorp007

2 hours ago, Charl Joubert said:

Do you mean these readings?  Here's master and slave:

image.thumb.png.da63bd49389908173c16e7e618d071a2.pngimage.thumb.png.8227c46baf643980d88e80070e9f81ec.png

Quick add up tells me 552w which matches close enough:

image.png.a3dda04e01a8a454980957b5439ed254.png

Good. So the pulling from the grid is confirmed with readings🤔

Edited by Scorp007

• 4 weeks later...

I have an update (spoiler - I "fixed" it).

After lots of back and forth we finally came to the conclusion that we had to bridge the Smart Load as well but that was making matters worse whenever a geyser kicked in.  Here's what I did, in this order (and yes I followed shut down and start up procedure correctly every time):

Physically:

• Unbridged Smart Load - Still had grid draw.

Settings:

• Made the slave solo and turned off the master - No grid draw.
  • Made the master solo and turned off the slave - No grid draw (this was a surprise).
  • Swapped master and slave in parallel - grid draw.
  • Swapped back to original master and slave paralell config - grid draw.
  • Factory reset (9999) everything and reinstated original parallel - grid draw (but less strangely).

At this point I wasn't sure what to think so I added Smart Load settings and schedule back, gave it 60 seconds to kick in, then switched the working mode to Zero Export to CT and SUDDENLY the grid draw went away.  I was now angry because I had been switching between CT and Load mode before and it made no difference!  I was very scared to actually touch it now that it was correct.  BUT I had to rebridge the Smart Load.  So I shut everything down, rebridged it, booted it all up, and still... no grid draw.

So now I have my two inverters properly parallelled and both supplying Smart Load to my geysers without unecessarily drawing from the grid.  Here are some pictures for the curious:

image.thumb.png.300bff21608edceff012d9dba17e453f.png

Compared to a usual day where grid draw was happening:

image.thumb.png.51db47a3337661b9723913d38314bfaf.png

And here's my software version:

image.thumb.png.5e7375f9d41bccfd95ae101923b32afa.pngimage.thumb.png.1c21bbf7f3809a6aa8d887a6670ca5a2.png