Boela

Hi there,

I have the following installed:

1 x Kodak 7.2 Inverter

1 x Pylon US2000c

3 x Pylon US2000

1 x MPPT-1 array 370w x 10 connected in Serie - running avg 400-415v

1 x MPPT-2 array 545w x 7 connected in Serie - running avg 315-340v

(PV combiner box and surge protection of each array separate)

Recently my PV1 array stopped working (was running fine for about 2 weeks after I installed the 2nd PV array of 545x7). Before I had the 10 x 370 split in 2 x 5 and running for about 2 years with no issues, but the installer said the inverter can handle high voltage and upon installing the new array changed the setup so that the 2 arrays are "closer matched".

Upon investigating it seems like the PV controller board got fried. 

Questions 

• The kodak is rated for up to 450v on a MPPT input (500v max) - should I rather split the 1st array of 10 panels in into 2 x5 or disconnect 1 or 2 panels from the array to bring the volts down? Do I need to change anything on MPPT-2?
  • Max rated MPPT watts is 4000w per input - both arrays are within spec - is the current configuration safe to use like this (array 1 is 3700w and array 2 is 3815w)?
  • What do I need to change to avoid this from happening again - what could be the cause?
  • PV array 2 is running fine - can I continue to use as is till I can find another board?
  • Best place to find a spare parts?
  • Worst case - will the Deye / Sunsync 8kw handle this setup any better?

Thanks

You'd need to confirm the exact specs of your panels, but chances are that you simply exceeded the voltage in terms of Voc.

For example, I'm just looking at the specs of the JA Solar JAM72D00 panel, where the 370W panel has an operating Voltage of 39.7V, but the Voc is 48.43V. So make that on a 10-string set, 397Vmp, and 484.3Voc. I know you've got a high-voltage input, but in this scenario you're skirting very close to the maximum 500V input, and by the time you've factored in tolerances, cold-temperature variation and spikes in irradiance due to the cloud-edge effect... I think it was just a matter of time before that MPPT got fried. But look, this is just an example, your numbers may be different, but my best guess is it's quite likely a similar story, and I'd suggest you ask your installer to explain the calculations he did prior to installation.

A Deye or Sunsynk will not be better in this regard, they also have a 500V maximum string input. I'd suggest rather reducing the string of 370W panels to 8 or maybe 9 in series.

50 minutes ago, Boela said:

Hi there,

I have the following installed:

1 x Kodak 7.2 Inverter

1 x Pylon US2000c

3 x Pylon US2000

1 x MPPT-1 array 370w x 10 connected in Serie - running avg 400-415v

1 x MPPT-2 array 545w x 7 connected in Serie - running avg 315-340v

(PV combiner box and surge protection of each array separate)

Recently my PV1 array stopped working (was running fine for about 2 weeks after I installed the 2nd PV array of 545x7). Before I had the 10 x 370 split in 2 x 5 and running for about 2 years with no issues, but the installer said the inverter can handle high voltage and upon installing the new array changed the setup so that the 2 arrays are "closer matched".

Upon investigating it seems like the PV controller board got fried. 

Questions 

• The kodak is rated for up to 450v on a MPPT input (500v max) - should I rather split the 1st array of 10 panels in into 2 x5 or disconnect 1 or 2 panels from the array to bring the volts down? Do I need to change anything on MPPT-2?
  • Max rated MPPT watts is 4000w per input - both arrays are within spec - is the current configuration safe to use like this (array 1 is 3700w and array 2 is 3815w)?
  • What do I need to change to avoid this from happening again - what could be the cause?
  • PV array 2 is running fine - can I continue to use as is till I can find another board?
  • Best place to find a spare parts?
  • Worst case - will the Deye / Sunsync 8kw handle this setup any better?

Thanks

Spare MPPT board from SegenSolar. 

Maybe 415v a bit too close for comfort for 450v mppt. You can also try 2 strings of 5 to get 200v.