Panels in different directions- W-Cape

Thats going to be hard with only 4 panels on a string the voltage will only be at around 150 ,it might work it might not. I mean you could try it and see how it works . Parallel the East and West strings on one MPPT and the North string on the other MPPT.

46 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

Thats going to be hard with only 4 panels on a string the voltage will only be at around 150 ,it might work it might not. I mean you could try it and see how it works . Parallel the East and West strings on one MPPT and the North string on the other MPPT.

Using 4 x East and 4 x West would mean 22A into a MPPT thus you loose 9A as the 5kW can only use around 13A per MPPT.

Agree the 4 in series is cutting it close but thanks for the input around the North string.

9 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

Using 4 x East and 4 x West would mean 22A into a MPPT thus you loose 9A as the 5kW can only use around 13A per MPPT.

Yes agreed but they mostly wont be producing their max current at the same time but yea there will be clipping for sure . Its probably too many amps for one MPPT but options are limited .  Best bet would be to get the 8kw sunsynk then it would atleast not overload the MPPT😆 But then you still have the low voltage strings problem...

Edited by Nexuss

9 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

Yes agreed but they mostly wont be producing their max current at the same time but yea there will be clipping for sure . Its probably too many amps for one MPPT but options are limited .  Best bet would be to get the 8kw sunsynk then it would atleast not overload the MPPT😆 But then you still have the low voltage strings problem...

It's another friends installation done last week. I was just asked for my view. I would have chosen a different inverter if I knew the roof and that a 5kW will be installed. It's funny how you hear about these things after the event - too late for changes.

20 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

Guy please give some input on this roof with limited space but for the 12 panels shown for use on a Deye 5kW.

Panels are 460W JA Solar with specs as shown on the sketch.

Thanks.

12-PANELS.jpg.9d178f7810ac1128cbdbc0708ac59dd1.jpg

If no other roof configuration is possible then I would put ( 3 4 5 6 ) on one mppt and ( 9 10 11 12 ) on the other mppt and the put ( 1 2 7 8 ) onto a micro inverter and feed it to the aux port set for micro inverter. Or any configuration combination suited to the direction you get the best sun for the longest time.

Edited by WannabeSolarSparky

Is there any space on the side of the house just to put 1-2-3-4-5-6 and 7-8-9-10-11-12 onto a pure East-West setup.

Considering that it's a total of 5.5kW of panels on a 5kW inverter, you're over-panelled anyway.

Otherwise, what about just adding one panel to each East and West roof, and using the two north-facing panels with a new DC water-heating element. Geyserwise or similar?

1 hour ago, GreenFields said:

Is there any space on the side of the house just to put 1-2-3-4-5-6 and 7-8-9-10-11-12 onto a pure East-West setup.

Considering that it's a total of 5.5kW of panels on a 5kW inverter, you're over-panelled anyway.

Otherwise, what about just adding one panel to each East and West roof, and using the two north-facing panels with a new DC water-heating element. Geyserwise or similar?

Thanks a lot. There is not space left on the east or west. Being in CT and still below the 6.4kW maximum panels allowed the adding to the east and west would have been a good suggestion. 

Water heating will be moved to a heat pump drawing about 1.2kw from the essential side. 

@WannabeSolarSparky

I doubt the adding of another inverter would go down well but will mention it. Thanks for the suggestions from all of you. 

Edited by Scorp007

4 minutes ago, Superfly said:

Dunno if this even contributes to the discussion, but you know me... gotta have my say.. LOL

My North-West roof gets a full sun in Winter (low trajectory) but in summer the sun moves over the roof so not sure if I should just put some panels on the garage which is West facing but then that's just for summer. Anyway don't mind me, just thinking aloud... 😛

Well if you can use that extra power why not. If panels are already idle then perhaps not unless it becomes worth it to export. 

8 minutes ago, frivan said:

Not that I have used them but isn't  this a good case for optimisers? Put 1&2 on an optimiser with panels 3 to 6, put 7&8 on an optimiser with panels 9 to 12.

Thanks for the alert. I have also not paid much attention to them. Will pass it on.