Tile Cable Pass Through

Bl4d3

Hi all. Wanting opinions on the best way to pass cable through tile.
We had an inspection done and was told that our current install is not to requirements. We currently have cable in sprague thats passed through between 2 tiles. Been like that for 3 years without a problem.

We need to get inline with requirements so that the system can be registered and this is one of the items that needs to be done.

What would you recommend we do? 

I was hoping to find a gland like the image below but cant find anything locally.

image.png.d5bcddd47102f351a5e0e28719741966.png

12 hours ago, BritishRacingGreen said:

Ok, but if they shot it down, the learned inspector should have informed you why it does not comply, and further to that that, make recommendation  to you. What was the recommendation? 

It doesnt comply because a flexible sprague or no protection is likely to pinch, eventually fail, cause leaks, etc.

I found a solution, a 5 - 55mm dektite which will create a water tight seal once attached to the tile properly. We will then drill a 30mm hole through the tile and pass through a solid short piece of PVC. On the outside, we will then attach a 32mm sprague and secure. Problem solved

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023/04/29 at 8:43 PM, Bl4d3 said:

It doesnt comply because a flexible sprague or no protection is likely to pinch, eventually fail, cause leaks, etc.

I found a solution, a 5 - 55mm dektite which will create a water tight seal once attached to the tile properly. We will then drill a 30mm hole through the tile and pass through a solid short piece of PVC. On the outside, we will then attach a 32mm sprague and secure. Problem solved

Any follow up photos and comments? Would be good to see what it looks like finally.

On 2023/04/28 at 11:10 PM, Bl4d3 said:

Hi all. Wanting opinions on the best way to pass cable through tile.
We had an inspection done and was told that our current install is not to requirements. We currently have cable in sprague thats passed through between 2 tiles. Been like that for 3 years without a problem.

We need to get inline with requirements so that the system can be registered and this is one of the items that needs to be done.

What would you recommend we do? 

I was hoping to find a gland like the image below but cant find anything locally.

image.png.d5bcddd47102f351a5e0e28719741966.png

Check this out, I think that is the best solution.

DEKS Dektite® Nu-Lead Multicable Solar Flashing for Tiled or Slate Roo – PACE Energy (pace-energy.co.za)

DEKS-Dektite-Nu-Lead-Multicable-Solar-Flashing-Tiled-or-Slate-Roofs_1024_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1625079388

• 2 months later...
On 2023/07/16 at 8:34 AM, Revnge_SevnFold said:

This was my solution. We'll see if this is good enough for COC. Will be underneath the solar panel.

image.thumb.jpeg.79f294c4e62e6cd882385c2dc8996dd7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.333fe29e9313e2456ed48b5df305313b.jpeg

It has to do with chaffing.It must be suppended through rubber or gland the solar wire must be fixed so it doesn't get damaged where it bends.

11 hours ago, TaliaB said:

It has to do with chaffing.It must be suppended through rubber or gland the solar wire must be fixed so it doesn't get damaged where it bends.

I understand, but I can fill it with sikaflex to stop any chaffing and cables are double insulated and fixed to the rails under the panels so no movement possible. 🤷‍♂️ 

8 minutes ago, Revnge_SevnFold said:

I understand, but I can fill it with sikaflex to stop any chaffing and cables are double insulated and fixed to the rails under the panels so no movement possible. 🤷‍♂️ 

It would be subject to the electrician issuing the COC i would personally not have a problem with your route but remember it is after all about safety aspects.  Keep in mind the responsibility if he(electrician)would issue the COC and your house burns down and there is casualties he will face the music. It is not the common practice the way you are doing it and Sans regulation stipulates you need to have strain relieve on any wire from one meduim to another. So yes explain why you think it will not be a problem safety could be interpreted in many ways.