Luxpower Inverters - LUX-SNA5000WPV & LUX-LXP5K-LV

Hallo!

Wanting a inverter and so during my research, a couple of people suggested Luxpower.

Can someone explain the models differences to me? Will a LUX-SNA5000WPV + Battery + PV work when the grid drops?

Why is there such a huge price difference?

I would like to bring down my usage, have some power during loadshedding and buy something of quality.

Thank you.

I have an SNA5000 installed at both my homes and one setup at my office with Dyness batteries.

Very happy with them they have not let me down.

At one home I have 10 panels and two SNA5000 working together an honestly I could not be happier with the systems. My only recommendation on the battery side would be to go with a 1c battery and not 0.5c batteries like I have now.

IMG_20230511_104903-min.jpg

IMG-20230425-WA0027.jpg

Thank you.

I was hoping of putting everything on essential DB side and then with Sonoff/Tomzn switches, switch the load as required? Is this feasible?

If the grid is up and I pull more than what the PV can supply, will the SNA supplement from the grid?

Eg. I have a 5kw SNA & Battery & 2000w of PV power. My load is 4500w, will the SNA pull the "extra" 2500w from the grid? Or wil it pull from battery first, then (if SOC is lower than set), then from the grid?

45 minutes ago, McGuywer said:

Thank you.

I was hoping of putting everything on essential DB side and then with Sonoff/Tomzn switches, switch the load as required? Is this feasible?

If the grid is up and I pull more than what the PV can supply, will the SNA supplement from the grid?

Eg. I have a 5kw SNA & Battery & 2000w of PV power. My load is 4500w, will the SNA pull the "extra" 2500w from the grid? Or wil it pull from battery first, then (if SOC is lower than set), then from the grid?

yes and yes

image.thumb.png.51eb83a24147c7e6168d252a415773b0.png

11 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

IIRC, the SNA does not have a CT coil, so you can only supply power on the essential side, from 1 AC output . To supply power to the entire house, essential+non essential, 2 AC output (but not feedback to grid) you need a CT immediately afterthe escom meter..

From the manual

image.png.c780697dc6f51c8d9539e95845abdbd5.png

But i haven't seen it in action

39 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

IIRC, the SNA does not have a CT coil, so you can only supply power on the essential side, from 1 AC output . To supply power to the entire house, essential+non essential, 2 AC output (but not feedback to grid) you need a CT immediately afterthe escom meter..

AFAIK it can only export after the battery is charged and you have activated the export and what looks good is you can set the % that you want to export. 

@mzezman

Just a question. When you activate AC and PV to power the load as per your picture. Say the battery needs a 1000W charge from the 2000W PV for the 4500W load would it not mean only 1000W will be used from PV and 3500W will come from te grid? 

54 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

AFAIK it can only export after the battery is charged and you have activated the export and what looks good is you can set the % that you want to export. 

@mzezman

Just a question. When you activate AC and PV to power the load as per your picture. Say the battery needs a 1000W charge from the 2000W PV for the 4500W load would it not mean only 1000W will be used from PV and 3500W will come from te grid? 

That is my understanding - i will test this and let you know (possibly only tomorrow)

1 hour ago, mzezman said:

So you can't send to non essential only, you have to export back to Escom at the same time, or can you service non essentials and not export to grid at the same time?

21 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

So you can't send to non essential only, you have to export back to Escom at the same time, or can you service non essentials and not export to grid at the same time?

Without the CT I don't think you can separate eskom from non essentials... While those with CTs can

2 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

Yes, the point I was trying to make. I imagine if you have a prepaid meter this would cause a trip.

The tripping is only because the bit is set to trip on reverse power. All prepaid meter this can be set with delay or at what power or can be disabled. Some munics just don't want to disable it. 

It is as easy as sending a specific token given by the manufacturer. 

12 hours ago, mzezman said:

Without the CT I don't think you can separate eskom from non essentials... While those with CTs can

This is how I have it as well. The CT can measure what will be send to your non essentials and load vs the loads connect to the grid from other consumers. Not sure how the SNA can do it from the inverter side with software. 

This way is the reason why grid tied inverters must switch the non essential off during no grid periods. 

1 hour ago, McGuywer said:

Also, since I only have essential loads, what happens if I do go over 5000w? There is no bypass?

The inverter will trip if I my load is more than 5000w for 11 seconds. Yes?

It should yes. 

Power converted by the inverter is based on the inverter rating. 

Edited by Scorp007

20 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

It should yes. 

Power converted by the inverter is based on the inverter rating. 

I saw this:

Rated Power: 5000W
Max AC Power (5s): 7500W

So it would seem that it would handle a 7500w surge for 5 seconds and then I would think it would shutdown.

3 hours ago, McGuywer said:

I saw this:

Rated Power: 5000W
Max AC Power (5s): 7500W

So it would seem that it would handle a 7500w surge for 5 seconds and then I would think it would shutdown.

Yes. Some other makes might provide 10kW for seconds as per the specs. Just ensure that your batteries can provide this surge load. No point in getting this inverter and be limited by a 0.5C battery and having to get a 2nd battery on a stretched budget. 

@Scorp007 can I ask something. My LuxPower 5kw once ran on 7.5k for minutes 😓 garden service, it did not give me any alert and it was on house consumption getting power from panels and grid. But one day again the garden service ran it to 5kw and it was on Backup Power (EPS), it gave me a red notice same time.

My Question is when it is using the grid straight to house, does that count on limits?

Now I monitor the garden service and told them not to use all machines same time.

27 minutes ago, THULANE said:

@Scorp007 can I ask something. My LuxPower 5kw once ran on 7.5k for minutes 😓 garden service, it did not give me any alert and it was on house consumption getting power from panels and grid. But one day again the garden service ran it to 5kw and it was on Backup Power (EPS), it gave me a red notice same time.

My Question is when it is using the grid straight to house, does that count on limits?

Now I monitor the garden service and told them not to use all machines same time.

I cannot give you an answer as I don't know what power it can provide when powering a load on bypass. The Sunsynk/Deye can provide more power than it's rating when on bypass. 

The older non blending Axperts like mine can only provide the rating even on bypass. 

This value is not always provided in the specs. I hope other users can help on this one.