Sonoff POW R3

BruceK

Morning, I Have been using this for a few days now on my geyser and so far so good. 

Its on my non essential, on a Sunsynk 8kw invertor. I have 2 questions, and would appreciate any help, 

1) The Sonoff is mounted quite near my router, but I do see it goes off/on line fairly often, just for a few seconds. If I have schedule it to switch on/off at the exact time it goes temp offline, what will it do? 

2) As it is on non essentials, when there is load shedding it is switched off, so if I schedule it to run from 01h00 till 04h00, but there is load shedding from 00h00 till 02h00, then when the grid comes on at 02h00, I presume the switch will not come on? 

Thank you, Bruce

16 minutes ago, BruceK said:

1) The Sonoff is mounted quite near my router, but I do see it goes off/on line fairly often, just for a few seconds. If I have schedule it to switch on/off at the exact time it goes temp offline, what will it do? 

2) As it is on non essentials, when there is load shedding it is switched off, so if I schedule it to run from 01h00 till 04h00, but there is load shedding from 00h00 till 02h00, then when the grid comes on at 02h00, I presume the switch will not come on? 

1) I am not 100% sure but I think the schedules still work even if Wi-Fi connectivity falls away. I am not sure how load shedding may affect this.

2) Unfortunately the unit will not switch on if it missed its trigger. You could schedule multiple times to switch on to compensate for this.

I have solved 1) above. I rebooted the router and Sonoff and re paired them. Has not gone offline since then. 

For 2), I have added some multiple "On" times and this seems to have solved that issue. 

One more question, if we have no fibre for say a whole  day, will my geyser not switch on at all, as the Sonoff will be offline? 

On 2023/05/16 at 9:39 AM, frivan said:

1) I am not 100% sure but I think the schedules still work even if Wi-Fi connectivity falls away. I am not sure how load shedding may affect this.

2) Unfortunately the unit will not switch on if it missed its trigger. You could schedule multiple times to switch on to compensate for this.

The 1 point that snookers me is when the Sonoff has no power one cannot change schedule. This during LS. It would be great if settings can be changed and stored on their server for download as soon as the device is powered up again. 

Edited by Scorp007

7 minutes ago, BruceK said:

I have solved 1) above. I rebooted the router and Sonoff and re paired them. Has not gone offline since then. 

For 2), I have added some multiple "On" times and this seems to have solved that issue. 

One more question, if we have no fibre for say a whole  day, will my geyser not switch on at all, as the Sonoff will be offline? 

On the Sonoff's you can set the default "Power-On State". Meaning if u set it to on, and it looses power, when power is restored it be in the ON position.

The Sonoff's store the schedules onboard the device memory, so even with no internet it will work

2 minutes ago, Iiceman said:

On the Sonoff's you can set the default "Power-On State". Meaning if u set it to on, and it looses power, when power is restored it be in the ON position.

The Sonoff's store the schedules onboard the device memory, so even with no internet it will work

I have seen that, but then after every load shedding the geyser will switch on.... (its on non essentials)

11 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

It would be great if settings can be changed and stored on their server for download as soon as the device is powered up again. 

You could run another Sonoff off the inverter but operate a contactor on the municipal supply. The POW R3 would then be always on and mostly serve as an energy meter.