Solar panels

Kavesh

Hello all

So last year I installed a 3kw Growatt inverter with 2 x 100amp gel batteries. This is a small system to keep my critical stuff on, like wifi lights and certain plugs for laptops. System has been working good and am happy.

I have decided to add some panels as the risk of extended outages over winter and not being able to charge the batteries. I want to also run my fridges on this setup if possible on the days that there is sunshine.

My installer advised me that I can only add 2 panels to this inverter, i.e. 2 x 450w canadian solar panels.

I always believed that one could add more than that as it will enable faster charge of the batteries.

I would appreciate any advice on this please.

Thank you

Kavesh

HI All I have the same question. Growatt SPF 3000TL 24v with a LifeP04, 2560Wh battery(Lifetide). I had this recently installed, but now need to install solar pannels to assist @ the small office during the upcomming winter months @ stage 6 Loadshedding. According to the SPF manual, 1500watt solar input is allowed @ 102vdc max.

So my perception is that three 500watt or three 480Watt pannels @ 24v will work, or is there another configuration that I can use or SHOULD use.

Your assistance/comments  will be appreciated.

Edited by LeopardJunkie

Thanks for the feedback.  Would installing in series make a difference to the number of panels I can fit? Which way would be most efficient?

I have been looking at solar panels. Locally it seems that the 2 brands available are JA and Canadian solar. is one better than the other or are they about the same?

Canadian 450W can get for R4 100 and the JA 545W R4 250. Cant compare but that is what is available on the market.

4 hours ago, Kavesh said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Would installing in series make a difference to the number of panels I can fit? 

No 2 in series will exceed the MPPT range and the maximum allowable on cold days. 

You cannot exceed 1500W on the inverter. 

17 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

No 2 in series will exceed the MPPT range and the maximum allowable on cold days. 

You cannot exceed 1500W on the inverter. 

OK then 3 panels in parallel is all that I can install. 

Any thoughts on panel brand? 

• 3 weeks later...

It's important to size your inverter correctly with future expansion in mind. If you purchase a lower spec inverter you only limit your options later down the line. Lookout for maximum pv input, voc and Isc when considering purchasing any inverter.

6 hours ago, Chris_S said:

You can use a mppt charge controller connected to batteries if you want more panels. 

Please explain further, I am no electrician, however, I like to do my research before chatting to an installer.

37 minutes ago, SolarDIY said:

It's important to size your inverter correctly with future expansion in mind. If you purchase a lower spec inverter you only limit your options later down the line. Lookout for maximum pv input, voc and Isc when considering purchasing any inverter.

Yes thanks man. My main reason for going small was just to keep essentials running, however, these days I am concerned of an extended period, i.,e days without power. There has been so much speculation of grid collapse. Its getting to me!

I do not intend living on this property in 3 years.

2 minutes ago, Kavesh said:

Please explain further, I am no electrician, however, I like to do my research before chatting to an installer.

One can get standalone MPPT charge controllers that take multiple panels and charge your battery. I am not sure how this will impact battery communication.

12 hours ago, frivan said:

One can get standalone MPPT charge controllers that take multiple panels and charge your battery. I am not sure how this will impact battery communication.

Correct. There are many on the market. My favorite are the victron mppt's. It has no real affect on communication. Battery will report SOC to the inverter. Standalone mppt is basically just like another battery in parallel. You set the charge controllers voltages to the same as the inverters and that's it. 

https://www.livestainable.co.za/product/victron-energy-bluesolar-mppt-100-30-solar-charge-controller/?gclid=CjwKCAjwyqWkBhBMEiwAp2yUFmirAER4PpJc48wqHQ_hWVUPv9jfKG4IJhOE8yq3d4mPhrEs4pupHBoCKukQAvD_BwE