Lights Flickering when on Battery Mode Axpert

Rick C

Just now, SilverNodashi said:

There is still volt drop (and possible ampere if it's a thin lead) on the long lead, and it might be just out of the SMPS tolerance. Measure the voltage at the end of the lead, witch the PC plugged in and you will see the difference. 

Thanks. Sorted it with a small UPS I had that stood around.

I am revisiting this thread, since load shedding is in effect again. 

a 15V drop  may in some cases cause problems to some appliances. I know laser printers don't like it very much, and PC's could also have issues. 

So, the question arise, would it be possible to have some form of buffer on the AC side? Capacitors probably won't work, unless converted to DC, and then back to AC. 

The reason I bring this up, as it could prolong some battery banks if they're not unnecessarily used while changing over. It's a different story if the power completely fails, but  if one could spare the 30% or 40% discharge for a couple a minutes every evening, your battery bank will last longer. 

• 6 months later...

FWIW - comparison between a 150/45 and a 150/100.

Got a demo unit of the 100 at a price that is way less than a Axpert, with full warranty still in place. Sorted for many many years to come. 🙂 

image.thumb.png.f80246606929e655bdf80b5202155bb2.png

• 6 months later...

I have a similar problem with a 30kw installation. 6 x Axpert’s in parallel...two on each phase. The fluorescent lights flicker. Load is low.....also the battery bank voltage with PV on is sitting high and trips out from time to time. Battery v fluctuates from 62-67 volts when load is fed from PV and battery....I’m stumped. 

Narada lithium batteries NPFC 100ah x 6

6 Axperts

30 kw system

any ideas?

8 hours ago, Marlonw said:

Battery v fluctuates from 62-67 volts when load is fed from PV and battery

Yikes! The charge voltage for Nerada NPFC 100Ah is listed as 54±0.5 V (3.60±0.033 VPC assuming 15S); 67 V would be 4.47 VPC, which is way over the 4.2 V absolute maximum for LFP. Even 62 V is 4.13 VPC, way over the 3.65 V "usual maximum". No wonder it likes to trip out. I would have thought that the battery's BMS would have tripped out long ago. But the Axperts presumably would as well, especially if they're not 64 V models. Are you seeing fault code 03 (error 03)?

Are you perhaps not keeping each Solar Charge Controller's PV input separate?

Perhaps switch off one inverter at a time, to see if only one of them is going crazy.

I assume that setting 26 (Bulk/absorb charging voltage) is set to about 54 V? And setting 27 (Float charging voltge) is set to just a little lower?

• 5 months later...

My 2000W inverter was working ok with low loads. I put it into the main board of my house and slowly brought the load up. At less than 1000W (my estimate) the power cut. Now if I just plug a single light into it the light flickers. What has broken in the inverter to make an LED flight flicker?

If it was an Axpert, it should be overload and even short circuit proof. No one wants to prove it, of course.

Did it have AC-in connected to the grid? 

Is there an error code showing? 

Is it possible that power saving has come on? The LED light might not be enough load.

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

I have a similar issue on RCT Axpert King 5kVA inverters. 
I had 1 x RCT Axpert 5kVA - only ran my light & plug circuits on it / never an issue.

Then I installed 3 x RCT Axpert King 5 kVA inverters in parallel and have our whole house on inverter - we only use it as a standby when our mains fail - not on solar at all - since then my lights flicker when any load switches on and off! Driving us mad! 

not even the agents can help us! 
I was also contemplating installind a small inverter 1kVA or 3kVA just for the light circuits…

I’m going to try joining the Neutrals from the AC supply to inverters and the AC inverter supplies to the DB and also see that the earth wiring is all joined together. Do not think one shoiluld join Neutral to Earth thou… Mains supply from council’s transformer should have the Neutral and earth joined.

I’m also going to check the parameter settings - cannot find anyone to assist me with those…

On 2022/06/13 at 2:28 PM, Etienne1968 said:

Hi Guys,

I have a similar issue on RCT Axpert King 5kVA inverters. 
I had 1 x RCT Axpert 5kVA - only ran my light & plug circuits on it / never an issue.

Then I installed 3 x RCT Axpert King 5 kVA inverters in parallel and have our whole house on inverter - we only use it as a standby when our mains fail - not on solar at all - since then my lights flicker when any load switches on and off! Driving us mad! 

not even the agents can help us! 
I was also contemplating installind a small inverter 1kVA or 3kVA just for the light circuits…

I’m going to try joining the Neutrals from the AC supply to inverters and the AC inverter supplies to the DB and also see that the earth wiring is all joined together. Do not think one shoiluld join Neutral to Earth thou… Mains supply from council’s transformer should have the Neutral and earth joined.

I’m also going to check the parameter settings - cannot find anyone to assist me with those…

Do you have you main supply via a double pole main switch?

Running the whole house from the inverters then the inverter N is the already connected to your main N and is this not the same point that connects to your main grid supply?