REQUIREMENTS OF NETWORK WALLBOXES IN SA.

JacquesV

Good day all

I'm planning to retro-fit CAT 6 cables to some rooms in my home. Ideally cables will run in ceiling space and come down between fiber-cement wall panels (inner walls) terminating in RJ45 faceplates (2 cables per room).

Is there any regulations, like, needs to run in certain type of conduit in ceiling pace and between panels, should be terminated in enclosed box behind faceplate. There will be no drilling into this specific panel for health and safety reasons afterwards. Can I just fit the faceplates without backplates and run cables between these panels into the ceiling?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Good evening JacquesV

I trust that you are well.

I've read your post and have a couple of questions.
A] Are the fiber-cement walls already installed?
B] If the fiber-cement walls are already installed how are you going to pull the cat 6 cable through?

One option is https://scoop.co.za/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/fac33855412adf47d224c677c75ffa17/l/b/lb-fm2_a.jpg and
https://scoop.co.za/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/fac33855412adf47d224c677c75ffa17/l/b/lb-key11_copy.jpg

Another option is https://scoop.co.za/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/be0e010abbcb152a0445a2b9bc80225b/l/b/lb-sm4.jpg

I do not know of any regulations regarding the installation of cat 5 and 6 cables.

I have done my fare share of network installations and the only rule is watch the cable length, make sure that the max cable length is not exceeded.
If the cable must run on a wall ask yourself is it going to look neater in trunking?
If the cat 6 termination is mounted on a wall watch out that the termination box does not get damaged by bumping into the termination box.
Usually what I do is if the cat 6 termination is mounted on a wall mount the box at eye level then you know that the box does not damage easily unless a bookshelve or a entertainment unit falls onto the wall snagging the wall box along.

If you must drill or cut the fiber-cement always use a mask, one very handy tool to cut mosts materials is a Ryobi MP300 multi tool or a similar brand multi tool and thit type of blade https://www.toolcraft.co.za/cdn/shop/products/getCachedImage_1_077ce1be-7da2-4e3e-88c3-6fb4861903c5_1_493x475.jpg?v=1658829828 or this blade
https://toolservices.co.za/cdn/shop/files/Tork-Craft-Quick-Change-Diamond-Boot-Saw-Blade-57Mm-2-1-4-Power-Tool-Services-846_1024x.jpg?v=1685351216 the blades does not have to be the exact make just as long as the shape is more or less the same.

Kind Regards

GerhardK83

No regulations. Only best practices.

Lan cables won't be overheating etc, even if you crimp it wrong, so no worries. Minimal current, this is data. 

I would use the solid copper cat 5e /6 from Scoop. Not copper coated aluminium (cca). Especially if using PoE and long runs. 

Just try to avoid running them next to power cables, to avoid any interference. 

Edited by abd7

Interesting. 

Even voip phones etc generally all (can) run on PoE, and they are supplied with standard cat5e cabling.

So guess we supposed to be using properly earthed shielded lan cabling or running conduits to every phone, . Hehe

Edited by abd7

14 minutes ago, abd7 said:

So guess we supposed to be running conduits to every phone, with shielded lan cabling. Hehe

Not required.  Requirement (a) is met by the cable sheath. (b) is met by using STP cable if you are mixing different cable types in a wireway. (c) is taken care of by using correctly rated cable category.

Thank you all for the feedback.

I now feel I can go ahead...

@GerhardK83 the panels are already installed, the plan is to remove the panels one at a time and cut the hole (using as much precautionary measures as possible) for those faceplates you mentioned, there is properly rounded off access holes in the building (steel) structure from the ceiling area to between the panels. So the data cables will be run through these holes, keeping as much separation from electrical cable as as possible (the cables will still have to cross over electrical cables in the ceiling space) while the panels are removed (lekker easy access). The panels will then be refitted and painted, the face plated fitted. And then no other holes will be drilled so basically no danger of damaging the cables, this is what I meant by my statement that no holes will be drilled into these panels.

@JustinSchoeman this specific cables wouldn't be POE, but I do plan to run cables to the corners of the home for CCTV which ideally I would like to be POE, but that's the next project.