The corret way to split a BD

Chris Louw

1 hour ago, Chris Louw said:

There is a lot of extra wire and bad earth connects . I will shorten the wires , fit lugs on earths and use the open space to sort  wires . Will that be ok . Thanks .

Never remove an extra wire. Simply tape it up and cable tie it. Once removed you will need it again thanks to mamma Murphy.

OK, I am not an electrician. But I would certainly shorten some wires, though keep a little slack for future things. Put in a longer earth bar with more places to attach wires. Link this earth bar with the one in the other DB using a nice mid-sized green and yellow cable. Fix the crap trunking at the top, put in 60x40 or something. Also I noted that my own sparky likes to strip the Surfix up to the edge of the DB-board, running the individual red, black and earth to their respective locations. I think that just makes it easier to do it neatly, as they tend to go in three different directions the moment they enter the DB.

In fact, I wonder if you won't do better by putting a big old cover over that, fit a new surface-mount on top, then do a nice more modern DIN-mount DB. If you put the two tops on the same level, you then have one piece of trunking running at the top connecting the two. Should look much better.

Edit: Or better yet, put both the solar and "house" DB on top of the old one. It already seems that the supply wire is long enough to reach the bottom, so the house db goes at the bottom. The other wires are already long enough to reach the top, so they go directly to those breakers.

Hager makes a nice DIN-mount case with a top and bottom rail.

Edited by plonkster

I would rip out the box on the left and that truncking . Then  get a nice big surface mount DB with at least two rows. Moun the new DB over the old flush mount DB. And a new Earth leakage . The top row will be an double pole overload / isolator, then earth leakage then the circuit breaker for the loads not connected to the inverter and the grid feed to the inverter.

Second row will start with a change over switch then another earth leakge and then all the circuit breakers for the loads on the inverter.

Edited by Jaws

11 minutes ago, Jaws said:

Second row will start with a change over switch then another earth leakge and then all the circuit breakers for the loads on the inverter.

I agree wholeheartedly (see my own edit above), though I would put the solar at the top, because it seems the wire lenghts are already a bit more conducive to that arrangement.

15 minutes ago, Chris Louw said:

Thank you for the info . Have the dinrail changeover switch to be installed at the same time . If we have to register ( Lesedi ) I will go offgrid . All the ideas will lead to the best end result 

Seeing you are re-doing the board, ask UPS / Generator installers / Sparkie what they install in the DB boards for UPS'es, seeing as you may decided to go off-grid.

At least then 1) there is space for alter and the wires are correctly placed or 2) you get the part/s now and install it day one.