Inverter installation

Z Ga

On installation:-

Does one feed the power to the inverter via the earth leakage or does the output of the inverter go via an earth leakage?

Or, do we feed the mains directly to the inverter with an earth leakage at the output?

Or, do we use two earth leakage 'switches'? One on the input and a second switch on the output.

If you wire the Geyser and Air conditioner directly to mains trip (via a earth leakage 'switch',  and all other plugs and lights via a smallish inverter (5kVA), is it better to have two neutral bars - one feeding the aicon and geyser, and the other (neutral bar) for all the other circuits.

See attached!

Inverter.gif

Thanks guys - Appreciated.

Maybe a further question.

Is the neutral wire in and out common through the inverter? Or, does the differ from various makes of inverters. (Growatt 5kVA)

And, what will happen if the two neutral are connected together - tracing all those black wires could be a real pain! 

Also, does anybody have a circuit diagram and component layout of the 3kVA Growatt 24v inverter?

The Neutral wire is switched.  Depending on operating mode, it is either connected, or not. Hybrid converters it remains connected until grid power is lost. Off-grid inverters only connect when drawing power from grid.

Neutrals connected to the wrong circuit will cause earth leakage trips when affected appliances/plugs are used.  This is probably the most common installation issue in older houses.

4 hours ago, Z Ga said:

Also, does anybody have a circuit diagram and component layout of the 3kVA Growatt 24v inverter?

@Z Ga

Attached connection diagram for Axpert 5kva but it is the same for all the Voltronic type inverters and clones including Growatt. The only 2 devices missing on the diagram is the SPD between main utility breaker and the earth leakage. Lately i connect a auto recovery protection device on all Voltronic and all non hybrid inverters due to transients and overvoltages generated when utility power is connected after LS. This unit connects after the inverter input mcb live+ neutral connected through the device. It delays Eskom mains for 30~40 seconds before connecting to the inverter input.

off-grid-inverter-5kw-growatt-growatt-diyshop_co_za-9.jpg.43149153f0ee859e2f420243402c8a6f.jpg

OUVR-1-80_740x.png.d501915326f82b444c9b5b7ae81e4394.png

Edited by TaliaB

1 hour ago, Antonio de Sa said:

@TaliaB just one question ? why do you connect the neutral AC output of the inverter to the earth bar? I have two Growatt's in parallel and I did not do that and so far they have been working fine.

That is to indicate earth/neutral bond some inverters does not do it internally and it should be switched it is to indicate that the bond must exist either permanent or switched otherwise the output earth leakage will not function in islanding 

Edited by TaliaB

6 minutes ago, TaliaB said:

That is to indicate earth/neutral bond some inverters does not do it internally and it should be switched it is to indicate that the bond must exist either permanent or switched otherwise the output earth leakage will not function in islanding 

@TaliaB Thanks for the info, I was told that the Growatt inverters do that internally, I'm I correct?

8 minutes ago, Antonio de Sa said:

@TaliaB Thanks for the info, I was told that the Growatt inverters do that internally, I'm I correct?

Yes the Growatt has internal e/n bond. But if in doubt when in LS check with multimeter or earth leakage tester if you have a floating neutral.

Edited by TaliaB