US2000B behaviour with my Replus/Infinisolar

Elbow

Hi,

I've hooked up my pair of US2000B batteries to my inverter.

I made the parameter settings as per a document from Pylon about Voltronic inverters.

Ended up like so:

1437077040_InverterSettings.thumb.PNG.efd443e3f925d8cc556e8055ac5dd74a.PNG

My inverter ran at 25A charging for quite a while, the battery voltage gradually came up.

It has now switched to 0.5A charging - my one battery has all the SOC green LEDs on, on the second battery the top SOC LED is blinking so I assume its a bit behind and is still taking some charge.

Is this cool?  These batteries cost some serious RRR so don't want to take a chance.

I presume that the second battery will eventually decide its charged?  

At that point the inverter will stop charging?  Or does the current just keep flowing.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Elbow said:

At that point the inverter will stop charging?  Or does the current just keep flowing.

When all batteries are full the charge current will drop off (it stops like a plane hitting a mountain... very abruptly), and the voltage will hold steady at 53.2V.

Edited by plonkster

22 minutes ago, plonkster said:

When all batteries are full the charge current will drop off (it stops like a plane hitting a mountain... very abruptly), and the voltage will hold steady at 53.2V.

Great, thanks - I'll keep an eye on it.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018/12/28 at 8:58 AM, Power Punk said:

Voltronic has just completed development of a comms solution for Pylon, which will allow the battery to control the Infini charge & discharge rates.  It will communicate via a new RS485 card.

Thanks - that's interesting news.

I'm able to now read data from both my Replus (over USB) and my batteries (over RS485) - I've been watching the action on a very light load and you can see that the "SOC" calculation on the Replus is completely wrong for LFP batteries.  Lead acid voltage goes down fairly linearly but the LFP drops rapidly to start with then sits very flat and then drops off rapidly again down till 48v when its pretty much flat.

So you see this:

(Green is the pack voltage.  Red/blue is the SOC as reported by the packs; orange is the SOC as estimated by inverter).

1134806995_Screenshotfrom2018-12-2910_52.09@2x.thumb.png.b3abd918ef7a99e5cff54eb2f5f38a85.png

I also noticed that the battery advertises a much higher charge rate (250A!) once its not full.  I didn't make a feed of this number so I'm not currently sure when it changes, but right now each pack is advertising max charge of 250A.    Flip that's about 13kW going into each pack or more than 25kW for two!

(Well I can't get anywhere near that figure - my inverter can do 25A and that would be 12.5A per pack).

Here's some of the stuff the packs tell you over RS485 - or that I can calculate:

902910791_Screenshotfrom2018-12-2911_05.08@2x.thumb.png.5203a6e76ca5769a411b96126fe60151.png

I guess Voltronics will read SOC from the packs, and honour the announced max charge and discharge figures.

And Happy Christmas everyone!

Elbow

On 2018/12/15 at 6:30 PM, Elbow said:

Hi,

I've hooked up my pair of US2000B batteries to my inverter.

I made the parameter settings as per a document from Pylon about Voltronic inverters.

Ended up like so:

1437077040_InverterSettings.thumb.PNG.efd443e3f925d8cc556e8055ac5dd74a.PNG

My inverter ran at 25A charging for quite a while, the battery voltage gradually came up.

It has now switched to 0.5A charging - my one battery has all the SOC green LEDs on, on the second battery the top SOC LED is blinking so I assume its a bit behind and is still taking some charge.

Is this cool?  These batteries cost some serious RRR so don't want to take a chance.

I presume that the second battery will eventually decide its charged?  

Thanks!

I see you have a wide range for MPPT track. How many pannels are there in each string? 60 or 72 cells?

9 hours ago, Javi Martínez said:

I see you have a wide range for MPPT track. How many pannels are there in each string? 60 or 72 cells?

Right now there are no panels - this is just operating as a UPS.

Panels to follow after some other building work.