Offgrid revamp

shanghailoz

I have a small offgrid setup that's been working diligently for a few years now unmaintained. I recently came back for a month visit after 2 years absence, and I need new batteries.

My 24v ( 2 x 12v 200A) overnight batteries are pretty vrot after 6 years, and get down to 18v at about 5am with the houses minor basic load (mostly security camera's and a router).

Yes, I know I should set cutout higher ie. 25v, but at this point, I'd rather get some more out of them for a couple of weeks before I recycle them.  Both batteries are low, its not a case of unbalanced batteries, they're close to each other charge wise (from a cursory check with a multimeter) at various points in the day.

106895005_ScreenShot2018-12-11at5_40_37AM.png.e608801efe0bff4c02e8cbc2a72579e1.png

I'm running 24v, but have splurged on a 48v Victron 3000va so I can upgrade, I have the money for the 55k BYD from Herolds.

Current setup is 

Victron 24v/3000va Multibleh as a dumb inverter.  Just upgraded it to the v4 firmware, although it pained me to have to go and buy a usb mk3, as my usb mk2 is now obsolete grr.

I did setup a PI though plugged into my router for some nice stats finally so there is that!

MPPT is a FM80 with 6 x 300W panels @ 24v.

Set to 27.6v float. / 2 batteries in series., inverter set to cut off at 18.6v, previously 25v (so I can eke out a tiny more amount before I lose power before they go to the battery heaven in the sky).

Load is pretty minimal - <100W / hr overnight.

Was thinking of getting the BYD 10KW pack and replacing the existing vrot batteries, and setting system to 48v.

I'd add a few more UBNT camera's and a UBNT 60w POE switch, overnight would be in the 150W range / hr.

Assuming 17hrs in winter will bring me at most 2.5KW overnight usage.  I should be fine for recharging.  I can add more panels, if necessary, I have 16 sitting around on a roof elsewhere not connected up.

Anyone have any comments?

Discharge won't be more than say 2.5KW overnight max.

Currently I'm charged and in float by 9am latest (summer) with the dead acid.

10KW is overkill, but at the 55k price with vat, I'm keen.

Lastly, I no haz Eskom.   Plot never had electricity, and I went offgrid from the start, so no pesky daily fee's or other BS, although CoCT will want me to register for offgrid.

Not so concerned about that for the moment, what are they going to do, cut off my electricity,  fine me 6k, peanuts..?  

Looking into that, but I doubt will be able to arrange before I leave end of the month.

Comments please!

18 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

usb mk2 is now obsolete

Mine still works perfectly fine. At least with the windows software. For the Rpi you need an mk3 though.

19 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

55k BYD from Herolds

Look for @Jaco de Jongh's post. There is a rumour about that these might not be as good as they seem. I'd rather spend that money on 3 x Pylontech racks.

Hmm.

I did get a "data sheet" from Herolds, although it is a bit dodge, with PDF edit over existing text.

It does however show you the importer. - 2ia.co.za   who's site takes you to http://revov.co.za/product-specs/

Google cache of 2ia.co.za shows these two people, and they claim to be selling the BYD Box, their names are also on the data sheet.  

+27 (0)83 212 0746
[email protected]

+27 (0)63 019 6139
[email protected]

LinkedIn shows Lance is likely from TIA Telecom, ex MTN, which makes sense, as they allegedly have partnered with BYD to sell batteries for telecom usage.

Their facebook is rather clear about them re-using recycled batteries.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/2IAenergy/posts/

Guess I'll be in touch with Herhold's to confirm if these are new or re-used sets, then decide.

Thanks for the heads up.

BYD_Datasheet_of_512_200Ah.pdf

Edited by shanghailoz

2 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

Whats the best pricing for purchase in Western Cape right now for the US2000B Plus?

Last an offer ended up in my mailbox it was just shy of 15k VAT inc. But the exchange rate went a little South since then, so right now I simply don't know.

34 minutes ago, GVC said:

R15 200 VAT Inclusive. (Not Western Cape, but courier works just as good)

https://www.inverter-warehouse.co.za/collections/batteries/products/battery-pylon-tech-lithium-ion-2-4kw

I would rather then dosh out the extra R4.7K and he can upgrade to the US3000 model, he said his discharge is around 2.5kWh, which is 100% DOD for the 2000.

14 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

Victron 24v/3000va Multibleh as a dumb inverter.  Just upgraded it to the v4 firmware

Just as a side note, if this is a 24V 3000VA Multiplus with the new processor (It definitely is if you put the 4xx firmware on) I would be definitely be interested in buying it :)

3 hours ago, PJJ said:

discharge is around 2.5kWh, which is 100% DOD for the 2000. 

Yeah, but I suggested that he buy 3 of them (instead of the BYD pack), which gets you around 7kwh for the same price as the used-BYD deal (ie new batteries and a neat warranty for the price of 3kwh less capacity).

38 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Yeah, but I suggested that he buy 3 of them (instead of the BYD pack), which gets you around 7kwh for the same price as the used-BYD deal (ie new batteries and a neat warranty for the price of 3kwh less capacity).

I think he should then perhaps rather look at 2 US3000's? US3000B

That should also give him 7kWh (well technically only 6.4kWh) for around R40K

And he would definitely have enough discharge current then at 1.8KW continuous per module. 

41 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Yeah, I wanted to tell you: My 1600VA found a home with a family member the moment load shedding came up.

Honesty is the best policy :P

Putting your family members above forum members should be a 1 week ban methinks :P