Best place for panels on this roof

Where on this roof is the best place to put some panels, at this stage i don't know how many I want, if grid tied about 5 probably, but if offgrid then 10.

The DB is by X. I was thinking 5 would fit nicely by the red and that might be my best location but is it and where is the next best location if I want to add more. And if I wanted to cover my roof with panels where are the best locations?

The area in front of the cobbles is flat roof and a future proposed version of estate rules does not allow panels there so best to avoid. I was also thinking on a pergola over the cobbles but that might run into hassle with the muni as pergolas cant be covered without signoffs due to structural concerns [wind etc]

image.png.ffcf2e8f64829383ae8b67848a569064.png

You will need to check if you can get a shading analysis done on your roof, as it's pretty hard to base this off a drawing especially if things like trees are excluded. But looking at the pitch on the roof i would be worried about shading in your proposed red area, i would personally suggest the section above the x, but I'm not a pro here only a guy trying to escape eskom.

2 minutes ago, Eugenevz said:

You will need to check if you can get a shading analysis done on your roof, as it's pretty hard to base this off a drawing especially if things like trees are excluded. But looking at the pitch on the roof i would be worried about shading in your proposed red area, i would personally suggest the section above the x, but I'm not a pro here only a guy trying to escape eskom.

Roof is a 35 degree pitch

NE facing panels make more sense than NW facing panels, so I would have thought directly over the X.
E facing panels catch the morning sun and start charging batteries early, when most needed; also more efficient as its cooler.

My 2 pennies worth and also no expert in any way

@Lee2

It very much depends on what you want to achieve.

Thing to take into concideration is:

How many panels will  fit into the red space. If 5 panels will fit, AND it is in the "sweetspot" Voltage range of your chosen Inverter model & PV panels, then any place north is always the best place. You might suffer from a bit of shading in the early morning due to the roof to the right (looking from above), as that is where the sun will appear. Ditto in the late afternoons, you may loose the sun fairly quickly.

Assumptions:

- your inverter has 2 x MPPT's

- X = DB, is in the Garage, so Inverter also goes there.

- there are no tall trees to the right and especially to the left of the property.

I would, budget dependant, put an as long as possible string 1 on the east side of the long roof - will give you nice early morning production & an as long as possible string 2 on the west side of the long roof - will give you nice late afternoon production.

32 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

@Lee2

It very much depends on what you want to achieve.

Thing to take into concideration is:

How many panels will  fit into the red space. If 5 panels will fit, AND it is in the "sweetspot" Voltage range of your chosen Inverter model & PV panels, then any place north is always the best place. You might suffer from a bit of shading in the early morning due to the roof to the right (looking from above), as that is where the sun will appear. Ditto in the late afternoons, you may loose the sun fairly quickly.

Assumptions:

- your inverter has 2 x MPPT's

- X = DB, is in the Garage, so Inverter also goes there.

- there are no tall trees to the right and especially to the left of the property.

I would, budget dependant, put an as long as possible string 1 on the east side of the long roof - will give you nice early morning production & an as long as possible string 2 on the west side of the long roof - will give you nice late afternoon production.

I think that's the best option, enabling the best of both worlds at different times as each set of panels would be on a different MPPT if you are going to be using an inverter with two MPPTs e.g. a Sunsynk Inverter or you're looking at getting two external MPPTs when going for the Victron for instance.