Axpert does not switch off

Chris Louw

This Axpert 5kw does not switch off complete when the rockerswitch is switched . We had a lightning strike year before last . Damage to the Inverter was repaired so the inverter would become a spare unit . After repairs the inveter was fine and never replaced  . Today I wanted to switch it off . The solar input was off. The inverter would not switch off . The rocker switch is ok . Only the battery icon is on the display . After 20 seconds the fans start running , the display flashes and the warning light lights up for a few seconds . This just keep on repeating  . The only way to switch off is to disconnect the battery . Any ideas . Will it cause damage if not attended to .

10 hours ago, Chris Louw said:

Only the battery icon is on the display.

With no AC-in or solar power sources and the switch off, the unit should switch itself off after about 30 seconds. That is very strange.

the warning light lights up for a few seconds.

Was there a warning code as well?

Will it cause damage if not attended to .

I think it depends on what it was trying to warn you about, if anything.

If the warning light was just the start of its death throws, but the hardware somehow kept it running, then I think it's not going to damage the hardware. It will of course waste the ~50 W of idle power, though this is more likely ≈35 W (from poor memory) with the inverter proper not switching.

@Coulomb  No AC on the unit running offgrid . All the icons on the display flash . There is no warning just the red light and the fans start turning slowly . This happens about every 20 seconds . It seems if it is trying to restart about every  20 seconds .Yes it is using .98 amp even while switched off . It is running  for 7 months after repairs , the inverter was never switched off .  I did supply AC to the unit to test . With AC on the red light , flashing icons and fans stop but the Battery and AC icon stays on when switched off. I opened the unit and every looks normal . I desided to leave it in place and run it until it fails . For the rest all functions 100% . Thanks for your response . Will inform you if something happens .

On 2020/01/26 at 3:23 PM, Chris Louw said:

Today I wanted to switch it off . The solar input was off. The inverter would not switch off . The rocker switch is ok .

On the RS232 comms port there is two wires that if bridged it will switch the inverter on. (Dry contact for remote keypads) It might be worth checking if that  RS232 unit is not shorting out. I am no repair man this is just a wild guess. 

• 6 months later...

@Coulomb  Today this inverter stop charging the battery from solar . Does not show solar icon on display . I then connected AC to the inverter . It does show the AC icon on the display but does not connect to the battery to charge . No smell or visible damage . Checked the AC and DC relays and all is fine . Your advice would be appreciated .

19 hours ago, Chris Louw said:

It does show the AC icon on the display but does not connect to the battery to charge .

Is this AC from a generator? Axperts are very picky about generator waveform quality. Was the AC icon flashing or on solid?

Since you are off-grid, your charge settings might be solar only. Setting 16 "Charge source priority". Change at least temporarily to SNU (depending on model, SNU is Solar aNd Utility charging).

19 hours ago, Chris Louw said:

Does not show solar icon on display .

What is the voltage at the PV input terminals, as measured by a multimeter?

Thanks for the reply . The AC is from another inverter . I charge a old set off batteries when there is spare capacity .

The setting 16 is SNU and the solar input solar voltage is 105 volt with multimeter . 

It has been working fine on AC for some time . Only connected the solar to check charging . 

53 minutes ago, Chris Louw said:

Only connected the solar to check charging . 

? So this one has never had the solar charge controller used since the lightning strike? Is so, it sounds like the solar charge controller may have been damaged by lightning.

After I replaced the capacitors on this inverter it was used on solar for the time the main inverter was removed to replace the capacitors . It was tested for 2 weeks to make sure everything was working . It was charging with solar during this time . This is a new problem .  What could cause this not charging on both AC and Solar . Could it be the control card .

17 hours ago, Chris Louw said:

The AC is from another inverter. 

It may be that the residual high frequency noise from the other inverter makes it unsuitable for AC-in of this inverter, though that would surprise me. But if so, you have a single fault, not two that are both related to charging.

I can't think of any problem that would stop both sources of charging. I very much doubt it is the control card. I think you just need to troubleshoot it if you are good with electronics, and otherwise get it repaired.