Jump to content

Serial battery driver for VenusOS(Victron) devices


Louisvdw
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm looking for people willing to help with testing this driver for other BMS like AntBMS and Daly. 

What is needed:

  • If you have a battery that use any of these BMS (or if you have the communications protocol for your BMS) and your battery BMS has either RS232 or RS485 UART for communications.
  • If you use a Victron GX device or built in GX inverter model or Raspberry Pi with VenusOS
  • You need serial communications cable / converter for your BMS (VE.Direct or USB). Buy or build your own.

You don't need lots of technical know how, but that might help. (You will need to connect the battery using the serial cable to the GX device and run some Python scripts on there)

Send me a PM if you are interested to get involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

The latest build V0.3 of the driver has been released.
With the new version the driver will

  • automatically set your battery max voltage according to the amount of cells in your battery, so it will work out of the box for 4 cells (12V), 8 cells 24V or 15 or 16 cells for 48V setups (or anything in between if your BMS can handle it.
  • it also has an auto installer that works with a USB flash drive/SD card which means you don’t need root access anymore.

https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Louisvdw said:

The latest build V0.3 of the driver has been released.
With the new version the driver will

  • automatically set your battery max voltage according to the amount of cells in your battery, so it will work out of the box for 4 cells (12V), 8 cells 24V or 15 or 16 cells for 48V setups (or anything in between if your BMS can handle it.
  • it also has an auto installer that works with a USB flash drive/SD card which means you don’t need root access anymore.

https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery

Louis, a quick question. In your documentation you refer to a USB FT232R connection to the BMS. I assume it's 3V3 opposed to 5V to the BMS correct?

Edit: Fixed wrong wording.

 

image.png.72cac835d51c7859d7cb166a30fa0f37.png

Edited by Ingo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Ingo said:

I assume it's 3V3 opposed to 5V to the BMS correct?

That is a good question. You can use any version (3V or 5V) as this is not used.

The cable's circuit is powered by the USB and the Voltage pin of the cable is only if the other side needs power (if you have your own circuit for instance). As the other side is the BMS and it is powered from your battery cells, it does not use external power.

For this reason you only connect the Ground, Rx & Tx pins. (see Installation point 2. in the docs)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2020/09/08 at 5:31 PM, Louisvdw said:

I'm looking for people willing to help with testing this driver for other BMS like AntBMS and Daly

Hi Louis, I should have my re-configured battery with a 250A DALY Smart BMS running in the next few days

Setup:  Quattro 48/10000, Color Control GX, SmartSolar MPPT, 24KWh DIY LifePo 16s4p

I'd been keen to try out your driver but I will most probably need some help ☺️

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @smurfdbn

I'm currently still busy adding support for the Daly BMS (and hopefully some others there after) so the current version will not work for you yet. The rest of your setup will be fine for this driver.

If you want to help with the beta test for the Daly then I suggest you subscribe to the Daly issue to get notifications, or subscribe to the support forum (link in the Readme)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...