Sunsynk 8kw installation in progress

Hi

I still need to read most of the posts, but i'm excited to start this journey.

As I'm writing this, the guys are busy installing an 8kw SunSynk invertor with 16 * 410kw Canadian Solar Panels.

I've opted (didn't really have a choice) for no batteries as I would like to start saving money first and then get the batteries in for our dreaded load shedding situation.

I'm hoping to run all my heavy loads during the day, the biggest contributors are geyser, pool and heat pump and washing machine.

Any important gotchas that I can ask the installers to make sure they have done?

Find out what current the system can deliver when you have no grid. Pool pump, heat pump, geyser and appliances may be more than it can handle. You may have to give one or more up during an outage, or figure out ways to stack them so that only one or two will run at a time.

You may want to think about insurance too. Find out from your insurer if the panels are covered, if the inverter is covered, or must they be specified? Get an updated COC and give your insurer a copy.

Edited by Bobster

54 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Find out what current the system can deliver when you have no grid. Pool pump, heat pump, geyser and appliances may be more than it can handle. You may have to give one or more up during an outage, or figure out ways to stack them so that only one or two will run at a time.

You may want to think about insurance too. Find out from your insurer if the panels are covered, if the inverter is covered, or must they be specified? Get an updated COC and give your insurer a copy.

Thanks for the reminder on the insurance. 

I definitely plan on spreading the load, I’ll probably be creating a roster and adding some timers. 

Under my home owners, the building insurance covers the panels and you can increase your coverage foe electrical surge/ accidental damage to fixed machinery to cover the inverter

How about powering the tumble dryer if you have enough pv

42 minutes ago, Tariq said:

Under my home owners, the building insurance covers the panels and you can increase your coverage foe electrical surge/ accidental damage to fixed machinery to cover the inverter

OK, but still get a COC and ask your insurer if they want a copy. At least have one for yourself because if the worse comes to the worse and a loss adjuster arrives and finds wiring not mentioned on the COC then you may find your cover is voided. Maybe not that likely, but any claim involving electricity may fail if it is found that the wiring has been altered.

52 minutes ago, Tariq said:

How about powering the tumble dryer if you have enough pv

There are two circumstances.

1) You have grid and, if the sun is up, solar

2) You have no grid.

The system may handle the two separately. With mine excess solar can be sent to the non backed up circuits (basically out buildings and pool) as long as there is grid. If the grid goes down then my system will only back up a load of 20 amps and so the pool pump is not backed up even though the sun is shining brightly.

Anything that makes hot uses a good whack of power. Geysers, toasters, kettles, tumble driers, hair dryers...

Edited by Bobster

I have the same inverter running for nearly 2 months now. 

It has two outputs. The main load output and an aux output. 

You can put your non essentials on the aux and it will send power to the aux even if the grid is available. 

Batteries are costly but I found that having the batteries is a better option. I opted for 3 pylontech US3000 batteries. 

Get the data logger. Its sold separately and allows remote monitoring. 

More than happy to share my experience.